Patty Hurst Shifter

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Jahfin
Inactive User

Patty Hurst Shifter

Post by Jahfin »

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satel ... 8768699743

In My CD Player: Patty Hurst Shifter

By Ed Bumgardner
relish staff writer

There are rock 'n' roll groups. Then there are rock 'n' roll bands. There's a difference. A group is a business enterprise. A band is family that lives and breathes music as a unit. Patty Hurst Shifter from Raleigh is a band (with a really great name and a reputation as a ferocious live act). The band's soon-to-be-released album, Too Crowded On The Losing End, is a rock 'n' roll treasure, a barroom brawl of an album the likes of which are all too rare in this age of American Idol. Ringing, amped-up guitars goose its serious edge. It boasts inarguable pop smarts. There is a soft, bittersweet taste of Southern country-soul. It's seductive. It's lucid. It's dangerous. It stands to be one of the best pure rock 'n' roll albums in years. In keeping with its unified status as a band, the individual members of Patty Hurst Shifter each shared with relish a single favorite disc. Then all four members agreed on a common fave disc. Check out these five discs to gain a sliver of insight to what awaits when Too Crowded On The Losing End is released Jan. 24. Mark that date on your calendar.

The Pogues, If I Should Fall From Grace With God: "Rum, Sodomy & The Lash is considered by many to be the best Pogues album - ever. For my money, it's this one, if for no other reason than the song 'Fairytale of New York.' All the loss, hope, love, regret and absolute malice you could ever want for Christmas." - Skillet Gilmore

Cotton Mather, Kontiki: "This album has been in my car stereo for weeks. A fellow Beatles fanatic turned me onto these guys years ago, and it's obvious that the Fab Four was a major influence. But the more you listen, you hear the band's voice. The songs are varied, with a lo-fi retro-scruffiness that accentuates lush harmonies. Perfectly unpolished, quirky and glorious." - Jesse Huebner

Verbena, Souls For Sale: "Noisy, edgy and sneering in a laid-back way that only a Southern band can be. I was a fan from note one. This album embodies everything I think a rock record should be. I've listened to this at least 2,000 times, and I'll listen to it another 2,000 if the laser holds out." - J. Chris Smith

The Replacements, Tim: "This album hit me so hard. The songs were all over the map, but retained a pure band signature. Rock 'n' roll swagger and punk-rock sneer, even some tongue-in-cheek 'lounge.' The last three songs are one of the strongest finishes of all time. Back in the 1980s, I played this record to the point where you could almost see daylight through the grooves. - Marc E. Smith

Faces, Ooh La La: "You need to go buy this album." - The band as a whole

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

question - is this the same Patty Hurst from the 70's
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Tampico
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Tampico »

that was Patty Hearst in the 70's. Different spelling.
"What's mine is mine, If it's only one thin dime, My cash has always meant to flow"

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

A sly play on words - Patty Hearst, and Hurst shifters (a popular hot rodder accessory)
I imagine it is some kind of an inside joke....

...like Pearl Jam :roll:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Lightning Bolt wrote:A sly play on words - Patty Hearst, and Hurst shifters (a popular hot rodder accessory)
I imagine it is some kind of an inside joke....

...like Pearl Jam :roll:
I'm not sure what the frown is for but it is a bit of an inside joke. "Patty Hurst Shifter" is a play on "Patty Duke Syndrome", the name of a band fellow North Carolinian Ryan Adams was in prior to finding fame with Whiskeytown. Still, you don't have to know that to get it.

case
Hoot!

Post by case »

The pogues/ Shane MacGowan produced some of the greatest music ever... and i mean ever.
I hope that all the greedy bastards in the world
Come back as lobsters.
You know that life at the bottom of the food chain
Suits them well.
I think that all of the evil people of the world
Come back as horseflies,
They want one last bite before they're sent to hell.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

From Durham, NC's Independent Weekly:
http://indyweek.com/durham/current/music.html

Shifting gears

Raleigh's Patty Hurst Shifter has a new CD and an age-old attitude

By Grayson Currin

When Patty Hurst Shifter played the release party for their first album, Beestinger Lullabies, in 2002, Skillet Gilmore--who previously told PHS guitarist Marc Smith that he would never be in another rock band again--was behind the drumkit, even though he didn't play on the record. When the band takes the stage for a two-night release party for their sophomore album, Too Crowded on the Losing End, Jesse Huebner--who met Skillet when they played in the Tres Chicas' backing band together--will be behind the bass, even though he recorded for only two of the album's 12 tracks. "Hopefully the only thing that's new to the next record is a keyboard player," Gilmore says. "Hopefully I won't quit and Jesse won't quit, and we'll all be here."

On a Saturday afternoon, they are all here at Mitch's Tavern on Hillsborough Street. Gilmore and guitarist/vocalist Marc Smith are sitting at the bar, talking about lead singer J. Chris Smith and Huebner, who lounge in a corner booth in the back room, also talking about their other half.

Independent Weekly: The band has gone through several line-up changes, so were you used to that when Jesse joined the band?

J. Chris Smith: The primary dynamic for us is amongst the members, somewhat emotionally and especially when we're onstage doing music. The songs are simple, they get delivered, and we leave a lot of space for divine intervention. Especially Skillet.

Talk a little bit about Skillet.

[Chris excuses himself for another beer and passes the question to Jesse, saying, "Don't get me started on Skillet."]

Jesse Huebner: I met Skillet a year prior to playing with these guys. A friend asked me if I would be interested in playing bass with Tres Chicas. It was really cool, and I got to know Skillet pretty well. He's definitely a unique individual [laughs]. When all of this happened with Johnny [Williams, Patty Hurst Shifter's former drummer-turned-bassist], he asked would I be interested in checking it out. I wasn't real familiar with them, but I had heard a few songs. There's definitely forward movement in this new stuff that I was excited about. We got together and played a few times, and it was weird at first being the new guy.... By no means are Marc and Chris hard to get along with, but obviously I was nervous walking into this. To be able to go into it and know I could look over and Skillet would be playing with a goofy grin was very reassuring. It got easier once we started playing gigs.

[Chris returns.]

You said Skillet is a "unique individual."

JCS: I've never met anybody that was genuinely ... gregarious like Skillet, but there are plenty of gladhanders in the world that are full of s***. But he's always willing to get along with people, and he's a born bartender. Skillet can find something to talk about with anybody. He's f**** inimitable and enigmatic. I've never met anybody that remotely reminds me of Skillet.

Meanwhile, back at the main bar, Gilmore doesn't quite comprehend Chris' description. But, as always, he laughs about it. And so does Marc Smith.

Chris said you were "f**** inimitable and enigmatic."

Skillet Gilmore: Me?

You. He said he'd never met anyone remotely like you.

SG: I don't know what that means. Marc called me "The Frostman" once, but he was drunk.

Parts of Chris' songs hit me in spades when I first hear them, like the line "If I shed enough blood in the name of love, would it shed a little light on you?" from the new record. How about you?

SG: I think I'm too close to it to know for sure, but that line is one of my favorites. I think if you're in the band and around it that much, it's like listening to Tim by The Replacements. You're too emotionally involved. But I have been shocked by his songs when I've seen him by himself.

MS: Sometimes things hit you later as opposed to earlier. When we're playing, I'm paying attention to other things, like chord structure and melody. At practice, I can't understand Chris in a little teeny-ass room with a crappy PA. But it sinks in. A lot of times I'll be doing backup vocals after we've played it a few times, and I don't even know the words.... But, when I see it on paper even, I think Chris is a great songwriter.

How did Jesse come into the band?

SG: I told the guys we needed to look into him because: a) he's a badass; b) he's got his own gear, and it's good; and c) he's a really nice guy. He just slid right in.

MS: To me, the thing about playing with someone is you have to be friends first. And that was easy because he's a really nice guy. And he's a better musician than anyone else in the band.

SG: There's that, too.... It's like sitting in a big comfy chair playing with Jesse. I always know where he is; he's very accepting to me and my freak-outs behind the kit.

MS: Also, he can write and read music. He showed up at the first band practice with everything charted out.

SG: And we beat him up.

MS: ...and we were like, "What the hell is that? Let me see." It's gibberish to me, but it was great to be like, "Oh, that's what this looks like."

Patty Hurst Shifter plays a two-night CD release stand at Slim's in Raleigh on Friday, Jan. 27 and Saturday, Jan. 28.

BostonFins
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: King of Somewhere Hot
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Michelada

Post by BostonFins »

case wrote:The pogues/ Shane MacGowan produced some of the greatest music ever... and i mean ever.
They're back, with Shane! Can't wait for the Boston shows, got tix to both.

Thursday March 9 Washington 9.30 Club — SOLD OUT ♦
Friday March 10 Washington 9.30 Club — SOLD OUT ♠
Saturday March 11 Atlantic City Borgata — SOLD OUT ♣
Tuesday March 14 Boston Orpheum — SOLD OUT †
Wednesday March 15 Boston Orpheum -SOLD OUT
Thursday March 16 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT ‡
Friday March 17 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT ‡
Saturday March 18 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT ‡
Saturday March 19 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT *
"Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hands..."

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

From an article in the Raleigh, NC News and Observer on local artists called "8 That Rate":

Patty Hurst Shifter

Don't be so quick to take Patty Hurst Shifter's new album out of your player after track number 11 fades out. Following a pause, there's an unlisted song called "Worth 2:11 A.M, " which is very carefully placed.

"If you continue listening straight through, we made it to where if you keep counting along with the beat of track 11, that song comes in on the same beat," says singer/guitarist Chris Smith. "We're all kind of obsessive-compulsive, so that's sort of natural. But I like to think that's the sign of a good work ethic."

Such attention to detail is rare for a band that rocks as loudly and proudly as the Shifter gang -- a quartet of Smith, guitarist Marc (no relation) Smith, bassist Jesse Huebner and ex-Whiskeytown drummer Skillet Gilmore. Patty Hurst Shifter is a latter-day inheritor of the Woods/Backsliders tradition of Raleigh blue-collar rock, and "Too Crowded" is a satisfying listen whether you're paying attention or just jumping up and down. Trina Shoemaker (whose credits include Queens of the Stone Age) mixed the album's tracks.

"It was mixed at the same studio where Stevie Wonder recorded 'Songs in the Key of Life,' " Smith says. "It was a lot more complicated than the simple rock record Trina thought it was: 'What do you mean, there are 30 tracks on this song?!' But she did an outstanding job."

Fun fact: Among the cameo guests on "Too Crowded" is Ian McLagan, keyboardist for British pub-rock legends the Faces.

----------------------------------------------------

For the rest of the list click on the link below:

http://www.newsobserver.com/442/story/393001.html

case
Hoot!

Post by case »

BostonFins wrote:
case wrote:The pogues/ Shane MacGowan produced some of the greatest music ever... and i mean ever.
They're back, with Shane! Can't wait for the Boston shows, got tix to both.

Thursday March 9 Washington 9.30 Club — SOLD OUT ♦
Friday March 10 Washington 9.30 Club — SOLD OUT ♠
Saturday March 11 Atlantic City Borgata — SOLD OUT ♣
Tuesday March 14 Boston Orpheum — SOLD OUT †
Wednesday March 15 Boston Orpheum -SOLD OUT
Thursday March 16 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT ‡
Friday March 17 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT ‡
Saturday March 18 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT ‡
Saturday March 19 New York Nokia Theatre, Times Square — SOLD OUT *
wow... i want to go!!

so what do you think, will there be a new Pogues cd someday?
I hope that all the greedy bastards in the world
Come back as lobsters.
You know that life at the bottom of the food chain
Suits them well.
I think that all of the evil people of the world
Come back as horseflies,
They want one last bite before they're sent to hell.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/gyro ... oid%3A9578

VISITING ACT | Neither artsy nor overly clever
Patty Hurst Shifter belt out without problems

BY T. BALLARD LESEMANN

Nü-traditionalists: Patty Hurst Shifter

Guitar-heavy, pop-rock quartet Patty Hurst Shifter are all about the familiar Americana sound, denim bar-rocker image, and fun, no-frills live performances. Musically, the band comes up with some damn fine stuff: hearty guitar riffs, sophisticated melodies, and humor-filled lyrics. Their uncluttered approach and garage-y guitar-driven sound has as much in common with fellow Tarheel rockers like Let's Active, Superchunk, Whiskeytown, and The Connells as with classic Stones and Neil Young and such American, '80s-era college radio pioneers as the Replacements, the Plimsouls, Uncle Tupelo, and True Believers.

"I have heard that before — the 'N.C. sound' thing,'" says bassist Jesse Huebner, 33. "At the bottom of it all, we're just trying to make good, straight-ahead rock, you know? You can get really bogged down trying to think about what you shouldn't sound like or what people expect you to sound like."

Huebner, lead singer/guitarist Chris Smith, guitarist Marc Smith, and drummer Skillet Gilmore — just off two "CD release" shows in their hometown of Raleigh at — make it back into town this weekend in support of their brand-new LP, Too Crowded on the Losing End (Fontana/Universal).

"It seems like there needs to be a return to a three-or-four chord, old-fashioned rock 'n' roll band," Huebner says. "I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Stones — that's what makes the most sense to me."

Patty Hurst Shifter play at Cumberland's on Fri. Feb. 3. Cover is $6.