Any Beach Boys fans?!

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

dand1996
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

Any Beach Boys fans?!

Post by dand1996 »

as Jimmy would say..."Show yourself.... NOOOOOOOW!"

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

I am a huge Beach Boys fan. I was fortunate to have seen the band in the early 1990's before the feuds and the death of Carl. If I remember correctly it was one of the few shows that Brian was on stage with the band. The group touring now in my opinion is not the Beach Boys, it is just Mike Love milking the bands legacy. As of late I have been listening a lot to Brian Wilson and his projects. I highly recommend Brian Wilson Live at the Roxxy. But to answer your question, yes I love the Beach Boys. In my opinion they were the greatest "pop / rock" band of all time...sorry Beatles.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I'm a fan of their work but I detest the Mike Love era version of the band that insists upon refering to themselves as The Beach Boys. I also wouldn't confuse a piece of crap like "Kokomo" with anything from their prime.

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Yup, what they said :wink:

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

tdparrothead
Behind Door #3

Post by tdparrothead »

I'm a fan of there older stuff... not Mike Love's Beach Boys of today.
"And now you’re here and the search comes to an end... I’ve found my long lost friend."

"In all his deepest dreams the Gypsy flies with sweet Melissa..."

George Strait in June, Kenny Chesney in July, and Jimmy Buffett in August... Looks like a Great Summer!!!

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

Yep!

Used to be a Life Guard once upon a time, and when Help Me Rhonda came on the radio, me and the other guard would serenade those paying customers through the megaphones :o :D
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

I love the Beach Boys, mostly from the old albums passed down from my older brothers. I saw them in the early 80s, the summer they were kicked off the Mall in Washington so they came to Philly. It was a great show (except John Stamos was on drums :D ).

I took my 7 year-old son to see the Mike Love version last year. And while I agree that is was not the Beach Boys, to hear those songs sung live was great. My son loved it, he was up dancing in the aisles and singing along. For that alone, it was a great experience.

I'll take him (and his younger brother) again when they come back around.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Any version of the Beach Boys led by Mike Love and/or featuring John Stamos on drums is automatically disqualified as being the "Beach Boys". Give your hard earned money to Brian Wilson instead, he'd surely appreciate it a lot more.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead

Post by jbfinscj »

PA PAR8 HED wrote:I love the Beach Boys, mostly from the old albums passed down from my older brothers. I saw them in the early 80s, the summer they were kicked off the Mall in Washington so they came to Philly. It was a great show (except John Stamos was on drums :D ).

I took my 7 year-old son to see the Mike Love version last year. And while I agree that is was not the Beach Boys, to hear those songs sung live was great. My son loved it, he was up dancing in the aisles and singing along. For that alone, it was a great experience.

I'll take him (and his younger brother) again when they come back around.

I am glad your son had a great time. I was 10 or 11 when I saw the Beach Boys in concert. Even at that age I was a huge fan and I can honestly say it is and will always be one of my top 5 favorite concerts. I had the opportunity to see Brian Wilson on tour prior to the release of the SmIle album. He is incredible live and I don't think I will ever grow tired of him singing "Darling" or "Love and Mercy." I have enjoyed most of his solo work, but I will be honest and admit that I wasn't crazy about Smile as a whole.

PS....Hey Jahfin!!!! What's wrong with Uncle Jessie? (John Stamos) He introduced a whole new audience to the Beach Boys. :D

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

jbfinscj wrote: PS....Hey Jahfin!!!! What's wrong with Uncle Jessie? (John Stamos) He introduced a whole new audience to the Beach Boys. :D
The only thing good to come out of the suckfest otherwise known as Full House is the Olsen twins.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Jahfin wrote:
jbfinscj wrote: PS....Hey Jahfin!!!! What's wrong with Uncle Jessie? (John Stamos) He introduced a whole new audience to the Beach Boys. :D
The only thing good to come out of the suckfest otherwise known as Full House is the Olsen twins.

ha ha ha :D I knew you would see it my way. :wink:

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

jbfinscj wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

Hmmm, you lost me there as you seemed to be endorsing him.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Jahfin wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

I was, but I also agree that the original Beach Boys line up is still the best. Do you have any of Brian Wilson's solo albums?

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

jbfinscj wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

jbfinscj wrote:I was, but I also agree that the original Beach Boys line up is still the best.

If you were endorsing John Stankos how could I possibly be seeing it your way? I think that era of the Beach Boys is best left to those that actually think "Kokomo" is an outstanding piece of, uh, work.
jbfinscj wrote:Do you have any of Brian Wilson's solo albums?
No but I prefer his work with the Beach Boys best.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I've always been a Beach Boys fan, but not so much of what they are today.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended was on Feb. 25, 1983 at the N.B.C. arena in Honolulu when ALL SIX of the original Beach Boys took the stage together. (I know Bruce Johnston wasn't one of the originals, but he fit in very nicely).
Sloop John B is my favorite song of theirs, and, among their more recent materieal, I like "Island Girl" and "Somewhere Near Japan."
I also love Al Jardine's cover version of the old Huddie Ledbetter classic "Cottonfields."

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

I just bought The Beach Boys - Good Timin' (Live at Knebworth, England 1980) on DVD. I already own the CD copy of the show and with all of the Beach Boy talk on here as of late I decided to spend the $10.00 on this show.

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

OK, here I go, showin' my age . . . .
Back in Jr High School, when the Beatles first became popular and all the girls were going ga-ga over them, all of us boys took to the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean. It was an "Us vs Them" thing (boys vs girls, surfers and cars vs long haired foreign girly-boys, US vs UK, whatever...) I started going to Beach Boys concerts in about '64 and saw them every time they came to Seattle until "the Mike Love era." One time the opening acts were The Young Rascals and Tommy James and the Shondells. Another time it was Buffalo Springfield (their last tour.) For you kids there, Buffalo Springfield included some guys named Jim Messina, Stephen Stills, and Neil Young. Once in the early 70's ('73 I think) the opening act was some young kid named Billy Joel. Egads! I even remember Glen Campbell as a Beach Boy! :o

Favorite albums? "Pet Sounds", "Wild Honey", "The Beach Boys Today", "Smiley Smile"..............
ImageImage

I know the voices aren't real but sometimes they have really good ideas...
SPH

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

SeattleParrotHead wrote:OK, here I go, showin' my age . . . .
Back in Jr High School, when the Beatles first became popular and all the girls were going ga-ga over them, all of us boys took to the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean. It was an "Us vs Them" thing (boys vs girls, surfers and cars vs long haired foreign girly-boys, US vs UK, whatever...) I started going to Beach Boys concerts in about '64 and saw them every time they came to Seattle until "the Mike Love era." One time the opening acts were The Young Rascals and Tommy James and the Shondells. Another time it was Buffalo Springfield (their last tour.) For you kids there, Buffalo Springfield included some guys named Jim Messina, Stephen Stills, and Neil Young. Once in the early 70's ('73 I think) the opening act was some young kid named Billy Joel. Egads! I even remember Glen Campbell as a Beach Boy! :o

Favorite albums? "Pet Sounds", "Wild Honey", "The Beach Boys Today", "Smiley Smile"..............
Great story....have you listened to any of Brian Wilson's solo projects, especially his two live albums?

PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

WOW, Glenn Campbell was a Beach Boy for a hot minute, cool to have seen him.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

Yeah, I have both of them (and his Christmas album from last winter...)
If you liked the old Beach Boys you'll probably like them, but if you're like me and fondly remember the "good old days" they might make you kinda melancholy. If you've followed Brian and his ups and downs, you know how screwed up he was (is?) You can hear the genius in his music, but I remember how he used to be and it makes me sad….
ImageImage

I know the voices aren't real but sometimes they have really good ideas...
SPH