Bush Gets No Respect From Chicks' Maines

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

May 21 12:18 PM US/Eastern

NEW YORK

The Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines apologized for disrespecting President Bush during a London concert in 2003. But now, she's taking it back. "I don't feel that way anymore," she told Time magazine for its issue hitting newsstands Monday. "I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever."

As war in Iraq loomed, Maines told the London audience: "Just so you know, we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas."

The remarks led to death threats and a backlash from other country stars, including a high-profile spat with Toby Keith. It also stalled what until then had been the group's smashingly successful career.

Bandmate Emily Robinson said she knew right away the remark wouldn't be taken lightly and got "hot from my head to my toes."

"It wasn't that I didn't agree with her 100 percent; it was just, 'Oh, this is going to stir something up,'" she told Time.

For band member Martie Maguire, the controversy was a blessing in disguise.

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

The Chicks' hits include "Landslide," "Goodbye Earl" and "Wide Open Spaces." Their new album, "Taking the Long Way," is due out May 23. The first single is "Not Ready to Make Nice."

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by prrthd1987 »

They obviously have never heard the song Have You Forgotten? by Daryl Worley. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

prrthd1987 wrote:They obviously have never heard the song Have You Forgotten? by Daryl Worley. :evil: :evil: :evil:
They either HAVE forgotten, or, like most of their ilk, just don't give a damn. :evil:
I realize the "Ditzi Twits" have a large fan base, but this little pig Natalie really should shut her friggin' pie hole, because if it hadn't been for the two beautiful sisters in that group, she'd be lucky to have a job as a greeter at Wal Mart.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Anybody that's against Toby Keith is fine with me. Still trying to figure out how he ended up on records with Buffett and Willie. Only thing I can figure is they all must have spent some time on Willie's bus.

OystersandBeer
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast is Clear (Gulf Coast Version)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by OystersandBeer »

I don't listen to the Dixie Chicks. (Had to get that out of the way first)

"I'm embarassed that President Bush comes from Texas," is that the comment that stirred so many emotions?

If that is it, I don't see anywhere that says she had forgotten about 9/11. I don't see anywhere that says she doesn't support the troops. So she thinks President Bush is an idiot, I assume. Thats what I understand when I read that. So what, she can't state an opinion? Have you forgotten...that we are Americans and are entitled to speak our opinions without consequence.

Indiana Jolly Mon
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Free and cold
Location: Don't know, and Ill be damned if im gonna ask for directions!

Post by Indiana Jolly Mon »

Ill stay out of the political aspects of this, since everyone can say what they want, but to say they dont want the kinds of fans that will have them in the cd changer with reba or toby keith may insult more fans than the bush stuff. IF they said they didnt want any parrotheads listening to them, this board would be on fire with people saying screw them.
I dont mind their music, and I dont care about entertainers politics, but when you sayyou dont want fans of others in the same genre, its not a good move.
M.K. "You should never use any of the 13 bad words!"
S.T. "I thought there were only 7 bad words?"
M.K. "Not if you're a sailor."

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

That's okay.... Country radio isn't real pleased with the Chicks, either.....

The first single from their soon-to-be-released CD is "Not Ready to Make Nice" which I saw described by one program manager yesterday as "a four minute f___ you" aimed at the country music establishment.....

That quote isn't included in the article I'm linking to here, but you'll get the idea....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

poolboy Bob
I need two more boat drinks

Post by poolboy Bob »

Unlike the vast majority of their country music "counterparts" the Dixies Chicks have enough talent as musicians and songwiters to crossover into a more progressive music landscape. A few years ago KD Lang left the country music scene and soon won a Grammy for best album.

Abandoning the Hee Haw crowd and only concentrating on their music might have been their best move, if only from an artistic point of view.

jbsux
I have found me a home

Post by jbsux »

Well, I think I'll stay in the Hee-Haw crowd, and you're right, Natalie Maines does look like a little pig, a pot bellied pig who should go back to the hog slop where she came from!

dawgfan
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 52

Post by dawgfan »

OystersandBeer wrote:I don't listen to the Dixie Chicks. (Had to get that out of the way first)

"I'm embarassed that President Bush comes from Texas," is that the comment that stirred so many emotions?

If that is it, I don't see anywhere that says she had forgotten about 9/11. I don't see anywhere that says she doesn't support the troops. So she thinks President Bush is an idiot, I assume. Thats what I understand when I read that. So what, she can't state an opinion? Have you forgotten...that we are Americans and are entitled to speak our opinions without consequence.
I agree with you with the freedom of speech here in America,but thats where the agreeing ends.If she is going to exercise her right to freedom of speech she better be able to handle the repercussion of other people exercising there right against her. Instead she goes crying on TV. She wants to make a comment about our President say it on American soil not over seas. :evil:

chalksoperations
Gypsies in the palace

Post by chalksoperations »

OystersandBeer wrote:Have you forgotten...that we are Americans and are entitled to speak our opinions without consequence.
I'm not quite sure where you learned that there was no consequence to what we say.

There is always consequence to what we say and that's the way it should be.

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

dawgfan wrote: She wants to make a comment about our President say it on American soil not over seas. :evil:
Exactly!!! She is there representing our(by saying our I mean every American's) country... what does that say about all Americans? That we all feel that way?

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

chalksoperations wrote:
OystersandBeer wrote:Have you forgotten...that we are Americans and are entitled to speak our opinions without consequence.
I'm not quite sure where you learned that there was no consequence to what we say.

I agree. Yes, we have freedom of speech, but there are definitely consequences....

For instance, Johnny Damon can stand in center field in Yankee Stadium and yell at the top of his lungs that George Steinbrenner is a stupid effing idiot, but I think I could guarantee that exercise in freedom of speech would not be without consequence..... :P :P

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
chalksoperations wrote:

I agree. Yes, we have freedom of speech, but there are definitely consequences....

For instance, Johnny Damon can stand in center field in Yankee Stadium and yell at the top of his lungs that George Steinbrenner is a stupid effing idiot, but I think I could guarantee that exercise in freedom of speech would not be without consequence..... :P :P
But truth is an absolute defense in slander and libel suits. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

LIPH wrote:But truth is an absolute defense in slander and libel suits. :lol:
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out.... :P

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

If anyone is interested, when Jimmy Buffett is on the Today Show Friday concert the Dixie Chicks are supposed to be Good Morning America's musical guest. Hmmm, which one should I go to?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

I totally disagree with Natalie . . . . I'm glad George is from Texas, and I wish he'd never left! :)
Last edited by SeattleParrotHead on May 24, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

I know the voices aren't real but sometimes they have really good ideas...
SPH

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

Speaking as a Texan in the Seatle area I'm glad he left Texas. Unfortunately he left it in a mess...........
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

backbeat
I have found me a home

Post by backbeat »

dawgfan wrote: I agree with you with the freedom of speech here in America,but thats where the agreeing ends.If she is going to exercise her right to freedom of speech she better be able to handle the repercussion of other people exercising there right against her. Instead she goes crying on TV. She wants to make a comment about our President say it on American soil not over seas. :evil:
Even though the woman said, "I" am ashamed (not my country is ashamed), I kind of get that any performer playing in another country is automatically an ambassador or de facto representative. In this case, I can't see an objection to her comment on the basis that it didn't represent the country. At the time of the remark in 2003, perhaps 50 percent of us approved of the President's actions - particularly the Iraq invasion. So anything she said would have been representative of half of the country. The word "ashamed" is too strong, though. I wonder how different the reaction would have been if she had said it IN this country. I think it still would have been explosive. I am dismayed at some of the venomous personal attacks on the woman appearing here. (Not referring to your comments, dawgfan.)

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

jbsux wrote:Well, I think I'll stay in the Hee-Haw crowd, and you're right, Natalie Maines does look like a little pig, a pot bellied pig who should go back to the hog slop where she came from!
and her looks (and your opinion of her looks, really) have what to do with the statement she made?