Bush Gets No Respect From Chicks' Maines

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

poolboy Bob
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by poolboy Bob »

RinglingRingling wrote:
jbsux wrote:Well, I think I'll stay in the Hee-Haw crowd, and you're right, Natalie Maines does look like a little pig, a pot bellied pig who should go back to the hog slop where she came from!
and her looks (and your opinion of her looks, really) have what to do with the statement she made?
In country music, "looks" is probably 75% of success. I can't recall any ugly woman who have had any success in the business. It seems to be look pretty, sing pretty and keep your mouth shut.

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."
They buy your records, pay your bills, and you don't want those types of fans?

I'm not a big fans of theirs, but if I was I would be insulted by this...

Maybe they want to go into the clothing line business with the drunk DUI chick from Lost? (inside joke)

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

poolboy Bob wrote:In country music, "looks" is probably 75% of success. I can't recall any ugly woman who have had any success in the business. It seems to be look pretty, sing pretty and keep your mouth shut.
In ANY area of the entertainment industry, KEEP YOUR F'ING PIE HOLE SHUT!!!
I wish someone would stuff cotton in that b*tch's mouth.
Thanks for a great post, Bob.

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

Wino you know wrote:
poolboy Bob wrote:In country music, "looks" is probably 75% of success. I can't recall any ugly woman who have had any success in the business. It seems to be look pretty, sing pretty and keep your mouth shut.
Why are you entitled to an opinion and not her?

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

a1aara wrote:
Wino you know wrote:
She IS entitled to her opinion.
But she needs to realize she's an (ugh) entertainer and nothing more.
What if I pulled a motorist over for speeding and said I'd throw away the ticket if he'd/she'd vote republican?
DO YOUR "JOB" AND LEAVE THE POLITICS OUT OF IT!!!!
People don't go to concerts to hear some cow whine about what an a-hold the President of the United States is.
Jeez, f'ing Louise!
What if President Bush called for a news conference, and, once the cameras were rolling started singing "Margaritaville?"

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

Wino you know wrote:
a1aara wrote:
Wino you know wrote:
She IS entitled to her opinion.
What if I pulled a motorist over for speeding and said I'd throw away the ticket if he'd/she'd vote republican?
People don't go to concerts to hear some cow whine about what an a-hold the President of the United States is.
Jeez, f'ing Louise!
What if President Bush called for a news conference, and, once the cameras were rolling started singing "Margaritaville?"
We would have one cool prez... :wink:
And then we would have Clinton on his sax in the background...
:D

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

Wino you know wrote:What if President Bush called for a news conference, and, once the cameras were rolling started singing "Margaritaville?"
SYKBH Parrotheads would start trying to repeal the 22nd amendment. 8)

... and the rest of us would b**** that he didn't sing something like Great Fillin Station Holdup.

Pirate Lookin' at 40
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Pirate Lookin' at 40 »

The Dicksie Chicks are hitsory anyway. The only place they are crossing over to is the cut out bin.
"And when I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies”

-Western Skies, Chris LeDoux 1948-2005

Rest in peace cowboy, a job well done.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

dawgfan wrote:She wants to make a comment about our President say it on American soil not over seas. :evil:
She has and I see no harm whatsoever in her expressing her opinion on foreign soil.

As for being shunned by Nashville, a similar blackballing occurred to Steve Earle quite some time ago because of his outspokenness. Though it certainly helps to have the Nashville Establishment's seal of approval, it isn't absolutely necessary. Earle and many, many others that work outside the bounds of what's considered acceptable by the Country Music Establishment are doing quite well, thank you. Unfortunately today's Nashville isn't much different than the one Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, Emmylou Harris and dozens of others helped turn the tables on back during the heyday of the Outlaw Movement in the 70s.

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

Natalie isn't the first performer to take a political stance and do so on stage during a performance. I don't understand all the hoopla other than the fact that she's a country performer and like Jah said she didn't have Nashville's stamp of approval.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Zuke
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 59

Post by Zuke »

I bought the new cd, I think it's really good, and the song "Not Ready to Make Nice" is great, with incredibly powerful lyrics. Too much is being made of this whole thing 3 years later, love or hate them, on the radio or not, I bet they sell out every show on the tour this summer. No shows here in CT, but if they come, I'll buy a ticket.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Zuke wrote:I bought the new cd, I think it's really good, and the song "Not Ready to Make Nice" is great, with incredibly powerful lyrics. Too much is being made of this whole thing 3 years later, love or hate them, on the radio or not, I bet they sell out every show on the tour this summer. No shows here in CT, but if they come, I'll buy a ticket.
you mean you'd go see a little blonde pot-bellied pig destined for the cut-out bin? (yes, this is said tongue-in-cheek).

An artist takes a political stand, I don't care. I can agree with them, I can disagree with them. I don't remember near the commotion from supposedly staunch protectors of the President when G. Gordon Liddy used his radio show and speaking engagements to advocate shooting President Clinton. I don't hear near the hooplah about Ted Nugent's far right stances here that I hear about a remark made by a Texan about a transplant Texan. If anyone has the right to comment at length about shrub bein' "all hat, no cattle", it would be them.

Instead, I read attacks on an artist about their looks. Christ on a freakin' rubber crutch, that kind of crap went out with grade-school.

rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

Wino you know wrote:She IS entitled to her opinion.
Jeez, f'ing Louise!
Garry, quick question - why aren't you bitchin and moanin about Toby Keith and/or Daryl Worley. They put as much (if not more) politics into their shows.

BigRedParrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by BigRedParrothead »

Is it because she is in country music? Is it because she said it at a concert? Is it because she is short and thick? I don't even see why her comments got so much attention. Is it because Toby Keith helped make it so national? I think it might have been more of a timing issue. She uttered the words just a little to close to 9/11. Today, Bushes approval rating is in the 30's. I'm sure there are several people today making the exact same kind of statement.
Everyday you can find a quote from someone famous blasting the choices of this president. So what? We all have something to say, negative or positive, that is why we are Americans, and that is something we should all be proud of.
My opinion, it isn't WHAT she said, or even WHERE, it's WHEN she said it.

And for what it's worth, I'm kinda fat and ugly too, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valuable. :roll: :lol:
I've had good days and bad days and going half mad days...

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

I am somewhat split on this. Personally I hate it when performers spout off about politics. But at the same time I understand and accept that they can say almost anything they want. But the necessary corrollary to freedom is responsibility. Anyone who wants to exercise their freedoms must accept the responsibility that those freedoms require. In this case the Chicks have spouted off again and might, again, face a backlash from the people that they want to buy their records. The responsibility they must face is an acceptance of this. They have shown, in the past, that when they faced a backlash they would not accept that responsibility, and screamed about censoring.

I guess my point is this. Say what you want. But be ready to accept the cost as well as the benefit.

mermaidindisguise
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lucky Stars
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Key Lime Pie By Z-Man!

Post by mermaidindisguise »

free speech lets me say that I think the President has let me down and I feel he has made many mistakes that are costing us dearly. There are many of us who feel this way and we have good reason. Having the lowest approval rating of any president would be proof enough that people are not happy with the way he is running his presidency. People say things when they are angry. She said it - get over it. People have said worse about him - and once again with good reason. Frustration leads to anger. Was not a smart move on her part because of the way people are nowadays .... but it should have never gotten out of hand like it did.

7lords
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by 7lords »

jbsux wrote:Well, I think I'll stay in the Hee-Haw crowd, and you're right, Natalie Maines does look like a little pig, a pot bellied pig who should go back to the hog slop where she came from!
It's amazing how much hate people can show when someone doesn't agree with them. People need to get priorities straight and shouldn't get so worked up about things like this. And if she's so wrong to say it (not saying she is or isn't) then apparently the majority of the country is wrong too based on Bush's approval #'s
Is it day?

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

mermaidindisguise wrote:Was not a smart move on her part because of the way people are nowadays .... but it should have never gotten out of hand like it did.
What do you mean by "the way people are nowadays? And, what got out of hand?

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

7lords wrote:
It's amazing how much hate people can show when someone doesn't agree with them. People need to get priorities straight and shouldn't get so worked up about things like this. And if she's so wrong to say it (not saying she is or isn't) then apparently the majority of the country is wrong too based on Bush's approval #'s
How dare you point out logical conclusions in a completely subjective situation... :o :roll: :lol:

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

green1 wrote:
mermaidindisguise wrote:Was not a smart move on her part because of the way people are nowadays .... but it should have never gotten out of hand like it did.
What do you mean by "the way people are nowadays? And, what got out of hand?
I'm not sure if this is what was meant but I'm guessing it's the destruction of Dixie Chick CDs, being banned from the radio, the comments made to Natalie about "being in bed with Osama" and the death threats she received. She only said what was on a lot of people's minds. Hell, it's not like she said the Dixie Chick were more popular than Jesus or anything.