Bush Gets No Respect From Chicks' Maines

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Politics have been an intergal part of music since it's very beginnings. I don't see that changing now or in the future.
a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

Wino you know wrote:
a1aara wrote:You may have a point about entertainers and politics. Entertainers like Rush Limbough and Bill O'Rielly should shut up as well. Talk about a cow.
Neither Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Rielly weigh over 180 pounds.
They BOTH did at one time, but they BOTH did something about it-can't say the same for her highness of the ditzi twits. But that's neither here nor there-
I EXPECT to hear political points of view from Rush and Bill O'Rielly. That's why I listen to them-and Alan Combes and James Carville, and the rest of them.
That's NOT why I go to concerts.
So AGAIN I say her highness Natalie should keep her political vitriol to herself and work on her singing.

She should no more keep her political views to herself anymore than you should.
Rush did do something to lose weight he was an out of control drug addict ,who was addicted to Hillbilly Heroin. But that's neither here nor there-

Are you saying that someone in the DC's weighs 180? Who? Just saw them on Letterman. I didn't see any of the 3 that large?
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

a1aara wrote:
Wino you know wrote:
a1aara wrote:You may have a point about entertainers and politics. Entertainers like Rush Limbough and Bill O'Rielly should shut up as well. Talk about a cow.
Neither Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Rielly weigh over 180 pounds.
They BOTH did at one time, but they BOTH did something about it-can't say the same for her highness of the ditzi twits. But that's neither here nor there-
I EXPECT to hear political points of view from Rush and Bill O'Rielly. That's why I listen to them-and Alan Combes and James Carville, and the rest of them.
That's NOT why I go to concerts.
So AGAIN I say her highness Natalie should keep her political vitriol to herself and work on her singing.

She should no more keep her political views to herself anymore than you should.
Rush did do something to lose weight he was an out of control drug addict ,who was addicted to Hillbilly Heroin. But that's neither here nor there-

Are you saying that someone in the DC's weighs 180? Who? Just saw them on Letterman. I didn't see any of the 3 that large?
it was nice of you to not mention Rush's personal hypocrisy on the drug issue.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

a1aara wrote:She should no more keep her political views to herself anymore than you should.

I'M SAYING SHE'S A FAT B*TCH WHO SHOULD SHUT HER FREAKING MOUTH AT HER CONCERTS WHEN IT COMES TO POLITICS!
She has every right to whatever opinion she wants-that doesn't mean I have to agree with her smarmy a$$. MY opinion is she's more Hollywood than Texas. But that's neither here nor there. It IS, however, my opinion.

As for Rush-I was VERY disappointed with him when he was addicted to prescription drugs-BUT I STILL AGREE WITH HIS POLITICS!!!
You mean to tell me if he'd never gone doctor shopping, you'd be a fan of his?
Bill O'Rielly? No dirt can be found on him-you just hate him because of HIS political views.
Just admit to being a kool-aid drinking liberal and be done with it.
Zuke
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 59

Post by Zuke »

The Chicks are on Howard Stern right now, for those that have Sirius.
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Wino you know wrote:Just admit to being a kool-aid drinking liberal and be done with it.
Make mine purple and serve it up with a dose of the Polyphonic Spree.

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

"If the Dixie Chicks can sing with their foot in their mouths, surely I can host this sucker."
-- Reba McEntire, while hosting the ACM Awards, 5/23/06
a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

Wino you know wrote:
a1aara wrote:She should no more keep her political views to herself anymore than you should.

I'M SAYING SHE'S A FAT B*TCH WHO SHOULD SHUT HER FREAKING MOUTH AT HER CONCERTS WHEN IT COMES TO POLITICS!
She has every right to whatever opinion she wants-that doesn't mean I have to agree with her smarmy a$$. MY opinion is she's more Hollywood than Texas. But that's neither here nor there. It IS, however, my opinion.

As for Rush-I was VERY disappointed with him when he was addicted to prescription drugs-BUT I STILL AGREE WITH HIS POLITICS!!!
You mean to tell me if he'd never gone doctor shopping, you'd be a fan of his?
Bill O'Rielly? No dirt can be found on him-you just hate him because of HIS political views.
Just admit to being a kool-aid drinking liberal and be done with it.

Natalie is not fat. Howard Stern made several comments about how in shape all 3 of them were. If she were fat he would have nailed her on it. He said all morning how Katherine McPhee needed to lose about 15 lbs. Howard is not kind to "heavy" women.

Dirt on O'Rielly? I guess you forgot about the little sexual harrasment deal that costs him millions? The one he refuses to talk about. How about when he lied about his "military service"? Class act.

I could care less about either one of their politics. They get paid to think a certain way. Neither has any credibility as far as I'm concerned. I will give Rush some props. I thought he did a great job on ESPN and I think they gave him a raw deal in the end.

Unlike you I do not need one political party to do all my thinking for me. If being a "kool-aid drinking liberal" sets me apart from the neo cons in charge today. Fine with me. I enjoy being an Independent. I really don't see much difference in the Republicans or Dems.

Why are you so afraid of a woman who speaks her mind? What do you have against Freedom of speech? Why are you allowed to give you views but others are not?

Is that you in the picture in your posts?
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I too wonder what one's weight or appearance has to do with their political stance and, if Wino is so against mixing music with politics I wonder whey he counts himself as a fan of John Prine and Todd Snider.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Natalie is fat?
Wow, I must be morbidly obese
:lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
brahmafear
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by brahmafear »

It's America right? Let's step back a generation......if you didn't like the music you didn't listen to it if you liked it you did. You will have to excuse me if my musical tastes are old fashion but I have liked the "Chicks" from day one (day one meaning before they were popular). If you don't like their music don't buy it. I plan on buying their new CD. So y'all can b**** all you want here at BN and get mad at one another but it's not going to stop the sales and popularity of the Dixie Chicks. That's just my opinion and it's not meant for further debate. . 8) 8) 8)
Image Image Image
McQueen5150
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by McQueen5150 »

brahmafear wrote:It's America right? Let's step back a generation......if you didn't like the music you didn't listen to it if you liked it you did. You will have to excuse me if my musical tastes are old fashion but I have liked the "Chicks" from day one (day one meaning before they were popular). If you don't like their music don't buy it. I plan on buying their new CD. So y'all can b**** all you want here at BN and get mad at one another but it's not going to stop the sales and popularity of the Dixie Chicks. That's just my opinion and it's not meant for further debate. . 8) 8) 8)
At least The Dixie Chicks had some stones. They spoke out when it was uncool to do so and took a lot of heat. They didn't think thay did it to be cool or fashionable, they did it to be true to their personal beliefs. They stood up when no one else would. As far as I am concerned, that is what patriotism is about.
"He was a fugitve with a pseudo-name, lost his mind in a hurricane......"
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

McQueen5150 wrote:
brahmafear wrote:It's America right? Let's step back a generation......if you didn't like the music you didn't listen to it if you liked it you did. You will have to excuse me if my musical tastes are old fashion but I have liked the "Chicks" from day one (day one meaning before they were popular). If you don't like their music don't buy it. I plan on buying their new CD. So y'all can b**** all you want here at BN and get mad at one another but it's not going to stop the sales and popularity of the Dixie Chicks. That's just my opinion and it's not meant for further debate. . 8) 8) 8)
At least The Dixie Chicks had some stones. They spoke out when it was uncool to do so and took a lot of heat. They didn't think thay did it to be cool or fashionable, they did it to be true to their personal beliefs. They stood up when no one else would. As far as I am concerned, that is what patriotism is about.
It's is a lot easier to criticize the President's actions/decisions now that his polling numbers have tanked. The folks asking the questions like: "do you really have a plan?"; or "are the rumours true that while you may have had 'some' sticktime flying out to the carrier with the banner in the background, that you were not the pilot who actually commanded the landing portion of the flight?"; and "what the he!! were you thinking bellowing, 'BRING IT ON!!' after you flew into Baghdad under cover of night for a photo-op", are the real heroes. Patriots are the ones who ask the harder questions and try to hold their leaders accountable for the stupid, short-sighted, self-serving decisions in the face of the thundering herd.
prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

a1aara wrote:Why are you so afraid of a woman who speaks her mind? What do you have against Freedom of speech? Why are you allowed to give you views but others are not?

I think what Garry is trying to say (and that most of you don't understand) Is that when those fans bought tickets to that show, they were buying tickets for a "Dixie Chicks in Concert," not a "Dixie Chicks Concert and Political Rant." I think Jimmy has a great philosophy when it comes to politics. He has said many times "They aren't paying to hear my viewpoints, they are paying to hear my music (maybe not his exact words but it went somewhere along the lines of that)"
I respect Jimmy for that. And the reason this was so controversial is that the Chicks had never really spoken out about their viewpoints. Sure, they might have made their political views known once or twice, but not in the scale bands like Green Day have. I think it just caught fans off guard to hear such a politically charged comment from a group that didn't appear to be very "politically charged." And in a country that was still on a "patriotism spree," they did not want/need to be caught off guard. So it's evident that this statement was just poorly timed under said circumstances.
Do I agree with her statement? Well, I have probably revealed that in previous posts, but it is really irrelevant in this stage of the discussion. So don't fry my @$$ saying I am way far to one end of the political spectrum, because I think I have kept this post as neutral as possible.

And if that's Garry's picture, I guess the beaver in my avatar is an illustration of me :pirate: :lol: 8)
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

prrthd1987 wrote:
a1aara wrote:Why are you so afraid of a woman who speaks her mind? What do you have against Freedom of speech? Why are you allowed to give you views but others are not?

I think what Garry is trying to say (and that most of you don't understand) Is that when those fans bought tickets to that show, they were buying tickets for a "Dixie Chicks in Concert," not a "Dixie Chicks Concert and Political Rant." I think Jimmy has a great philosophy when it comes to politics. He has said many times "They aren't paying to hear my viewpoints, they are paying to hear my music (maybe not his exact words but it went somewhere along the lines of that)"
I respect Jimmy for that. And the reason this was so controversial is that the Chicks had never really spoken out about their viewpoints. Sure, they might have made their political views known once or twice, but not in the scale bands like Green Day have. I think it just caught fans off guard to hear such a politically charged comment from a group that didn't appear to be very "politically charged." And in a country that was still on a "patriotism spree," they did not want/need to be caught off guard. So it's evident that this statement was just poorly timed under said circumstances.
Do I agree with her statement? Well, I have probably revealed that in previous posts, but it is really irrelevant in this stage of the discussion. So don't fry my @$$ saying I am way far to one end of the political spectrum, because I think I have kept this post as neutral as possible.

And if that's Garry's picture, I guess the beaver in my avatar is an illustration of me :pirate: :lol: 8)
a) did they make the comment in concert or in an interview?
b) if the folks attending the concert were offended, did they not have the right to leave?
c) were you one of the folks who attended any of the concerts, heard them say anything onstage during a concert, and were offended?

If the answer to the first one is: Interview; the answer to the second is: yes; and the answer to the third one is: no... Then who cares?

if it wasn't done in concert, then all of you who are harping on that are wrong, thus discredited slightly.
if they had the right to leave, and exercised it, again: so what. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to stay. And if you raise the issue of money lost because there were no refunds: what is the difference between that, and just a genuinely-bad concert by In-Synch? not much.
if you were not one of the ones who were attending: then feel free to blather on about their weight, their being wrong to voice an opinion just because they are entertainers.. blahblahblah.

Christ.
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

prrthd1987 wrote:I think what Garry is trying to say (and that most of you don't understand) Is that when those fans bought tickets to that show, they were buying tickets for a "Dixie Chicks in Concert," not a "Dixie Chicks Concert and Political Rant."
Nothing more dangerous than trying to speak for someone else. Much less someone that uses a performer's weight as a measuring stick. Nothing says music and politics can't mix. Heard of a little something called "folk music"? As I've said, that's but one example. The mixture of music and politics goes back much further than that. Don't wanna hear politics at a show? Well, then don't buy tix to see U2, Green Day, Bob Dylan, Ted Nugent, R.E.M., Steve Earle, Charlie Daniels, John Prine, Todd Snider or the Dixie Chicks. If a performer speaking their mind at their own concert offends someone so much, I suggest staying at the house.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

Jahfin wrote:I too wonder what one's weight or appearance has to do with their political stance and, if Wino is so against mixing music with politics I wonder whey he counts himself as a fan of John Prine and Todd Snider.
Because, if for no other reason, their music is quite good.
Also, they don't make a habit of b|tching about President Bush in foreign countries and going in front of a camera in THIS country to reiterate what they said.
I'll say it ONE LAST TIME-
I don't care WHO'S political views are WHAT!
WHEN I GO TO A CONCERT, I WANT TO HEAR THE BAND'S MUSIC AND NOTHING ELSE!

That's why I have so much respect for Mr. Buffett-he's voted Democrat nearly all of his life, and even campaigns for several Democrat candidates-but at his concerts HE SINGS!!!
And I get what I paid for when I go to his shows.
That's not hard to understand, is it?
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

a1aara wrote:Natalie is not fat. Howard Stern made several comments about how in shape all 3 of them were. If she were fat he would have nailed her on it. He said all morning how Katherine McPhee needed to lose about 15 lbs. Howard is not kind to "heavy" women.
Although I'm not especially a fan of his, Howard is no worse to some of these people than anybody else. Also-any guest that goes on his show pretty much knows what topics are going to be brought up.
a1aara wrote:Dirt on O'Rielly? I guess you forgot about the little sexual harrasment deal that costs him millions? The one he refuses to talk about. How about when he lied about his "military service"? Class act.
No, I didn't forget about his sexual harassment "deal." I just figured it's none of my business. But if I had to guess, I'd say someone somewhere saw an opportunity to make some money. It happens with professional athletes all the time, but we don't always hear about it.
If O'Rielly is guilty, as with Rush, I'm disappointed, but still agree with his politics.
a1aara wrote:I could care less about either one of their politics. They get paid to think a certain way. Neither has any credibility as far as I'm concerned. I will give Rush some props. I thought he did a great job on ESPN and I think they gave him a raw deal in the end.
I guess we differ here also.
This is ANOTHER issue where Rush disappointed me. The bruhaha started when he slammed Donavan McNabb as being "over-rated" by the media, or the media wanting a black quarterback to do well, or some such thing. I was perplexed as to how Rush OR ANYBODY could consider McNabb over-rated when he's clearly the best quarterback the Eagles have had in a while. I don't know if EVERYBODY who exceeds expectations is considered over-rated, but if I were an Eagles fan, I'd consider McNabb a breath of fresh air. (He DID get them to the Super Bowl).
I do like Rush Limbaugh, but he was out of line on this one. Whether he was fired or resigned after threatening to be fired was no big surprise.
a1aara wrote:Unlike you I do not need one political party to do all my thinking for me. If being a "kool-aid drinking liberal" sets me apart from the neo cons in charge today. Fine with me. I enjoy being an Independent. I really don't see much difference in the Republicans or Dems.
I don't drink the kool aid of one particular political party either. Although MOST of the politicians who represent my views ARE Republicans, I HAVE voted for several Democrats too. (The current governor of Iowa, among others).
I do agree with you when you say there isn't much difference between Democrats and Republicans (especially THESE days), and if the Republicans lose control of the senate and house in the November elections, they'll get no sympathy from me. When they think and vote along the lines of the other party, after being elected to do the OPPOSITE, they only have themselves to blame if they get voted out of office.
I do vote Republican most of the time, but, unlike some people, I hold my elected officials accountable. (That's one reason why I voted for the current DEMOCRATIC governor of Iowa).
a1aara wrote:Why are you so afraid of a woman who speaks her mind?
I'm not. I LOVE women who speak their minds. Doesn't mean I always have to agree with them, however, and nobody should hold it against ME when I rebut by speaking MY mind.
a1aara wrote:What do you have against Freedom of speech?
Nothing. See my reply to your previous question.
a1aara wrote:Why are you allowed to give you views but others are not?
Apparently, on this board, the opposite is true.
a1aara wrote:Is that you in the picture in your posts?
Care to call (319)321-9969 and discuss that, junior?
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

prrthd1987 wrote:

Congratulations.
You're the only SANE person here.
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Wino you know wrote:
Jahfin wrote:I too wonder what one's weight or appearance has to do with their political stance and, if Wino is so against mixing music with politics I wonder whey he counts himself as a fan of John Prine and Todd Snider.
Because, if for no other reason, their music is quite good.
Also, they don't make a habit of b|tching about President Bush in foreign countries and going in front of a camera in THIS country to reiterate what they said.
I'll say it ONE LAST TIME-
I don't care WHO'S political views are WHAT!
WHEN I GO TO A CONCERT, I WANT TO HEAR THE BAND'S MUSIC AND NOTHING ELSE!

That's why I have so much respect for Mr. Buffett-he's voted Democrat nearly all of his life, and even campaigns for several Democrat candidates-but at his concerts HE SINGS!!!
And I get what I paid for when I go to his shows.
That's not hard to understand, is it?
Not at all but you failed to address what one's physical appearance has to do with their politics. I also don't see anything the matter with a performer stating their views at their concerts. As I've mentioned mixing music and politics (from all realms) is nothing new and has been a huge part of music since it's very beginnings. There's also nothing whatsoever the matter with one expressing their political views no matter where they are.