Talking at Shows

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Jahfin
Inactive User

Talking at Shows

Post by Jahfin »

Civility has left the building as chatty concertgoers in growing numbers ignore those simple rules of etiquette

By George Varga
UNION-TRIBUNE POP MUSIC CRITIC

Shut up!

These two words – and the frustration they convey – have become a rallying cry for more and more San Diegans attending live-music performances.

As common sense and good manners become lost in this era of cell phones, iPods and high-tech everything, loud talking at concerts and nightclub performances has reached almost epidemic levels.

To read the rest of the article click here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/feat ... civil.html

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Just like a movie theatre... zip it! Unless of course you're singing along... that's perfectly acceptable! :D

I read about half the article, but it was too many words! :wink: Did they mention any annoyance to people who just DD, ie dial and hold up the phone for the person on the other end to listen? I may be guilty of that now and again, but I'm hoping that wouldn't be construed as disrespectful! Rather, just trying to share with friends who I wish were with me! 8)
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

Tropic_Al
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Just about anything, as long it's in a blue cup.

Post by Tropic_Al »

There are 2 kinds of shows, the sit down & listen kind or the stand up, dance & sing along type. I find it's one thing to sing along, if everyone's doing it, as with Buffett. But more & more people aren't singing along, they're having a conversation on some unrelated topic. And usually loudly. We went to Jerry Jeff Walker's show at BB Kings in NYC in March and there was lot of loud chatter during his set. You could tell Walker wasn't too pleased w/the crowd. He didn't even like the song requests that were being shouted out. If you going to a show to hear an artist. Be quiet so you can actually hear them.
Michael "Tank" Listowski 05.14.54-09.24.08 RIP

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

The article was too long? And then I'm asked to summarize because someone can't actually take the time to read it for themselves. The wonders of this place never cease to amaze, or in this case, disgust me. If you have any question about what's acceptable etiquette at concerts you're probably best to stay at the house.

These days I prefer the relatively sedate "house concert" setting to that of an arena show. Since you're attending one to start with it's pretty much understood that you're expected to be on your best behavior. Otherwise most performers don't seem to have a problem telling the less inclined to shut the f*ck up. Truthfully that's something they shouldn't have to do but nowadays politeness isn't exactly the norm, especially in concert settings.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

Jahfin wrote:The article was too long?

The wonders of this place never cease to amaze, or in this case, disgust me.
Yes. It was a long article.

:-?

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

SMLCHNG wrote:
Jahfin wrote:The article was too long?

The wonders of this place never cease to amaze, or in this case, disgust me.
Yes. It was a long article.

:-?
Well, there just seems to be no pleasing some of you folks. I've done as phjim has requested and posted just a link, a blurb and a headline but that doesn't seem to have helped any with the BN bitchiness quotient. I read it and it must have taken all of less than five minutes to do so. If you think that one was long I can come back here with some articles that are so long they'll make your head spin. Y'all just love that, wouldn't ya?

SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

It was NOTHING about you Jah.. nothing whatsoever about rules, or ANYTHING. I just said it was a long article. PERIOD. You read more into the comments than what was intended.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

If I lived in/near Nashville, I'd spend a LOT of time at The Bluebird Cafe. No talking allowed during the set, period.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

Jahfin wrote:The wonders of this place never cease to amaze, or in this case, disgust me.
Then why do you come back? Quite frankly, if that's how you feel, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

prrthd1987 wrote:
Jahfin wrote:The wonders of this place never cease to amaze, or in this case, disgust me.
Then why do you come back? Quite frankly, if that's how you feel, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I never left. The comments just struck me as odd, particularly since they came from a Mod who has been down that road more than once or twice with me before. Almost as though they were trying to incite something. That's the feeling I got anyhow.

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

Jahfin wrote:
prrthd1987 wrote:
I never left. The comments just struck me as odd, particularly since they came from a Mod who has been down that road more than once or twice with me before. Almost as though they were trying to incite something. That's the feeling I got anyhow.
I think it was meant to be a light-hearted comment, with the " :wink: " and everything... but that's alright... prolly just a miscommunication

Ya know what they say, Hakuna Matata :D :D

Tiki Bar

Post by Tiki Bar »

Jahfin wrote:The article was too long? And then I'm asked to summarize because someone can't actually take the time to read it for themselves. The wonders of this place never cease to amaze, or in this case, disgust me. If you have any question about what's acceptable etiquette at concerts you're probably best to stay at the house.

These days I prefer the relatively sedate "house concert" setting to that of an arena show. Since you're attending one to start with it's pretty much understood that you're expected to be on your best behavior. Otherwise most performers don't seem to have a problem telling the less inclined to shut the f*ck up. Truthfully that's something they shouldn't have to do but nowadays politeness isn't exactly the norm, especially in concert settings.
:o :o I was just being honest! Sheesh! I wasn't stating anything as a moderator... and I wasn't trying to incite anything! I was just sharing my reaction to your post, and my reaction would have been the same no matter who posted it. Notice my :D and :wink: and 8) ... it was apparently a lame attempt at humor, and not the 1st time either! :P

I still dig the arena shows myself... I just love to woo hoo any chance I get! But I enjoy the "house concert" settings equally well! Most recently I've seen Jake Shimabukuro and Louden Wainwright, and before that, the "songwriters tour" with Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Guy Clark, and Joe Ely. I still woo hoo'd, but not at inappropriate times! :D They were both "well behaved" audiences if you will! And John Hiatt LOVED my tiki bar hat! :wink: Thank God the Tiki Bar is Open!! :)

SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

Jahfin wrote:Almost as though they were trying to incite something. That's the feeling I got anyhow.
She wasn't. :) And it's been said many times, many ways (Dang, now I feel like adding "Merry Christmas to you!"), sometimes what's typed doesn't always interpret the right way.

Tiki Bar

Post by Tiki Bar »

On a related note from the Chicago thread:
Tiki Bar wrote:
jiggs(2) wrote:in doing some addtional research, I came across this article that I thought was pretty good...its talking about the new owners of the World

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown ... 1tgcov.htm

beer vendors on the law and in the stands will be an interesting twist
That is interesting! Thanks for sharing the article! This grabbed my attention too:

One of the biggest changes will allow fans with tickets for reserved seating to get a different point of view from two new bars, located stage left and right midway through the pavilion where large flower beds used to be.

"We're creating new VIP-like bars, but they're not for VIPs only," Shaw said.

Each bar will have beer and soda for sale, and can hold 35 people. To give as many fans as possible a piece of the action, amphitheater personnel will regularly shoo fans out and let more in, he said.

Although for me, once I'm inside, I'm by a seat with all eyes on the stage... I'm just curious what the bars look like... will people be there comingling at the bar during the show??? :o I couldn't do it!
The World Music Theatre, or First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre if you will, seems to be adapting for the Chatty Cathy's! :o