Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Re: Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Post by phjrsaunt »

I am totally in love with this cd! Although much of the subject matter is melancholy, you just feel like he's your wise old grampa reflecting on his life and giving you sage advice.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

phjrsaunt wrote:I am totally in love with this cd! Although much of the subject matter is melancholy, you just feel like he's your wise old grampa reflecting on his life and giving you sage advice.
I didn't really realize just how much Susanna meant to me until she passed away last year. I've never really had the passing of a musician/artist hit me that way. She was so gifted and probably should have been eligible for the Pulitzer for putting up with Townes and Guy. This is one of my favorite pictures of them.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Tequila Revenge wrote:I listened to this on the way home tonight and wished I had everyone's phone number to call them and tell them to listen! This was AWESOME!!!

Be sure to listen to the interview- [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Finally had time to sit down with a cold one and enjoy Guy Clark on All Things Considered. Thanks for the link, Jonathan.

AWESOME is right. I loved him laughing and saying...when she thanked him for being generous with his time...he said, "Believe me; all I was going to do is take a nap."

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Tiki Torches wrote:I'm not sure of the year this was filmed but from the beard I'm guessing it was around the time of The South Coast of Texas (1981). Guy has also apparently very rarely toured with a full band. From the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas:

Looks like it is this same year in Kerrville: Guy singing Rita Ballou in 1980, eventhough the uploader calls it Hill Country Honkey Tonk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ixlvfxY7w

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

Tiki Torches wrote:Looking very forward to the new record dropping tomorrow. Great article that was posted on The Austin Chronicle website a few days ago:

We Were From Texas
Guy Clark and the high price of inspiration
BY DOUG FREEMAN

The Craftsman: Guy Clark in his Nashville workshop
PHOTO BY DOUG FREEMAN
Just read this. Wow.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

There's another great new article here. This one was penned by Peter Cooper for The Tennessean:

Guy Clark: A one-sided conversation with a songwriting legend

Guy Clark at his workshop and home Tuesday, July 16, 2013 in Nashville, Tenn.
(photo: Sanford Myers/The Tennessean)

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

I'm glad Guy is talking to the press more with this release ... he's a tough "get."
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:I'm glad Guy is talking to the press more with this release ... he's a tough "get."
I wish YOU could "get" him for an interview.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

My God.....I just re listened to the NPR interview. The way I feel right now, I don't care if I ever hear another artist sing a song. Guy Clark is just on a whole other level in his craft. Everyone needs to hear that interview and then go out and order Guy's entire catalog.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I just love the passage below from The Tennessean piece done by Peter Cooper. It reminds me of how Rush stood up to Mercury Records following Caress of Steel by releasing 2112 instead of the record Mercury wanted them to record. I love when true artistry triumphs over commerce as well as when the musicians are headstrong enough to stand up to their labels like that. 2112 is the album that ended up breaking them to a larger audience. Lord knows that would have happened if they had made the sellout Bad Company soundalike record that Mercury had in mind.
Putting his foot down

“When I got my first record deal, with RCA, I made a whole record with the producer they assigned to me, and by the end of it I said, ‘Man, if you put this record out, I will change my name. I will not be associated.’ Rodney (Crowell) heard what was happening, heard the record and said, ‘Guy, this ain’t you. Let me help you, and we’ll get another budget, go into the studio with Neil Wilburn and beg, borrow and steal pickers and studio time until we get something you can live with.

“This was not an easy decision to make. I had no power, other than to put my foot down and scream, which was what I did. I said to RCA, ‘No, man, you are not going to make me put this out. It’s not what I do.’ They’d say, ‘Oh, it’s OK. Wait’ll you hear the mix.’ ‘No, I’ve heard the mix. I’m not going to do it.’ I had to argue with everyone involved. I had a manager, and the only good thing he ever did for me was back me on this. He put his foot down and said, ‘No, Mr. Clark is not pleased, and he will not be associated.’

“Rodney and I and Neil Wilburn stole the master tapes out of the vault at RCA, went to some studio, remixed and overdubbed some things and cut some things and recorded some new things, and there it was: ‘Old No. 1.’ When we were done, you really couldn’t argue with it. They were great songs. Playboy magazine reviewed mine in the same issue as Willie Nelson’s ‘Red Headed Stranger.’ My review was better than his. Willie recovered.”

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

phjrsaunt wrote:
East Texas Parrothead wrote:I'm glad Guy is talking to the press more with this release ... he's a tough "get."
I wish YOU could "get" him for an interview.
I didn't ask this time ... he's always found time for small markets like me ... but I am so snowed under these days, I hardly have time to do a proper piece. Kinda glad I passed because that Austin Chronicle article was the best I've read in a long, long time. :wink:
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead

Post by jbfinscj »

I've had the privilege to meet guy Clark and his buddy verlon Thompson a couple of times over the years. I never get tired of seeing then live. For those unfamiliar with verlon Thompson, think of him as guys Mac mcanally. I am probably just as big of a verlon Thompson fan as I am a guy Clark fan.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

jbfinscj wrote:I've had the privilege to meet guy Clark and his buddy verlon Thompson a couple of times over the years. I never get tired of seeing then live. For those unfamiliar with verlon Thompson, think of him as guys Mac mcanally. I am probably just as big of a verlon Thompson fan as I am a guy Clark fan.
wJBFINSCJs.

Love me some Verlon ... he's back in the studio ... working on a new record. Such a generous, sweet man.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

For those in the Triangle region of North Carolina, Verlon is at the Artscenter in Carrboro on Sunday, August 25th. That's the same night Steve Earle and the Dukes (and Duchesses) are playing the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh or else I'd be there. Believe it or not, there are still tickets available for that Lincoln Theatre show. Pretty amazing that he's playing such a small venue considering the last time he was here he played the DPAC in Durham which is much larger.

Guy Clark is playing R.J. Reynolds Industries Theater at Duke University on Friday, October 11th with Mandolin Orange. He doesn't play around these parts very often so I'm going to be sure not to miss him. I think the last time he was here he played the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. That was probably back in the early 00's sometime. Mary Gauthier opened.

Even though I've been a fan since the 70's, I never saw Guy in concert until he played Merlefest in North Wilkesboro, NC in 1997. This is a photo from one of his performances there. This was taken on the Hillside Stage by Jim McKelvey when Guy and Steve Earle did a set of Townes Van Zandt songs. More photos from '97 and '99 here.

Guy Clark and Steve Earle, Hillside Stage at Merlefest 1997
Photo by Jim McKelvey

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

Oh, I'll be at that Duke show, along with another BN'er.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

phjrsaunt wrote:Oh, I'll be at that Duke show, along with another BN'er.
I let the July 16th on sale date slip past me so I missed out on the primo seats. I saw Mount Moriah there last year and can say there's not a bad seat in the house but for Guy, I was hoping to be up close and personal.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Tiki Torches wrote:
I let the July 16th on sale date slip past me so I missed out on the primo seats. I saw Mount Moriah there last year and can say there's not a bad seat in the house but for Guy, I was hoping to be up close and personal.
I'm due for a Steve earle show, seen him five years in a row. I'm also due for a John hiatt/Lyle Lovett concert. :)

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

jbfinscj wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
I'm due for a Steve earle show, seen him five years in a row. I'm also due for a John hiatt/Lyle Lovett concert. :)
Lyle Lovett was just through here twice (he played Cary and Wilmington), Hiatt is in Durham on August 22nd. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to miss out. I did see him just a few years ago at the Museum of Art in Raleigh though so that'll have to hold me for a while.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Another interview about My Favorite Picture of You with Guy Clark.

Would someone please tell me who the female background vocalist is? I didn't buy the CD, just the mp3 files on iTunes.

http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1 ... ever.jhtml

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Ali and Jonathan,
I hope you enjoy the show.

I like the photo you posted of the Merlfest show.

I'm thinking the first time I saw Guy was in 1998 for my 50th birthday present. We went to Carrollton Station in New Orleans.