drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Re: “Rescheduled” Buffett

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote: March 12, 2021 11:36 am
Rabbitz wrote: March 12, 2021 1:08 am I have bought it as well, only I am in Australia and we only get a gig every 22.5 years so I suppose we don't count.

Although we ARE relatively covid free, so come on down Jimmy and the gang!
That is because you tried to kill him a few years ago with that slippery stage.
:lol:

I heard it was a trap door.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

drunkpirate66 wrote: March 12, 2021 11:55 am

I heard it was a trap door.
Look, he wanted to crowd surf in a venue where there is a gap between stage and mosh pit, he just needed to jump a bit further :)

I mean we even had the country's leading trauma doctor standing right where he landed, what else could we have done?

Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

Rabbitz wrote: March 12, 2021 3:43 pm
Look, he wanted to crowd surf in a venue where there is a gap between stage and mosh pit, he just needed to jump a bit further :)

I mean we even had the country's leading trauma doctor standing right where he landed, what else could we have done?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't argue that :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

BottleofRum wrote: March 11, 2021 4:06 pm Just announced.

All April dates PPD. Three moved to 2022 and two completely cancelled

Thank you for the update Pat!
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that both cancelled shows were indoor venues and the 3 rescheduled were outdoor venues. Could that mean he'll only do outdoor shows next year?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

LIPH wrote: March 12, 2021 9:02 pm I wonder if it's just a coincidence that both cancelled shows were indoor venues and the 3 rescheduled were outdoor venues. Could that mean he'll only do outdoor shows next year?
Maybe.
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

BottleofRum wrote: March 6, 2021 3:49 pmWhy would Buffett's first concert back be a monumental occasion to the point that he'd sell CD's of the show. That is comical, I've been a fan since my first show when I was 17 in 1993 and would have zero interest in a CD like this, nobody would. Who cares about his first show back? There would be no significance to it at all except that he be back doing shows. This would be true for every artist.

I get the sense you have a heighten version of Buffett concerts as they are now and probably a bit new-ish to the Buffett scene to understand how high the peak of his concerts were from of the 1990's to the mid 2000's when tickets were impossible to get. $30 lawn tickets selling for $300+, tailgating starting at 6am, 4-5 shows per venue, post-party lasting until the sunrise the next day. Once the crossover groups/artist started to make inroads in the 2000's Buffett concert interest faded and has been fading or years, it is undeniable. Hardcore fans will always be there but the casual fan now has more options and more options means a diluted pool of fans which means and less ticket sales which means few shows which has been the trend for the last 10 or so years.

Not saying he is washed up but outside the Buffett PH bubble his concerts are irrelevant.
When sports returned last year after the shutdown in March/April, the outcomes of the first games which were played took on much greater significance because everyone had been missing sports for so long. Soccer called it the "MLS Is Back Tournament" when it resumed in July and when my favorite team Portland won, the championship took on that much more meaning. So why would Buffett's concerts be any different. The setlist of his first show back will matter, and what the first song played is will matter. Of course it would be true for every artist but since Buffett's songs are more specifically about nostalgia, missing old places you've been to and wanting to escape from "cabin fever", aka quarantine, his concerts in 2021 (if they happen) would be more special.

I don't have a heightened sense of concerts as they are now, I just know for a fact that there has never been a 500+ day gap in between concerts like this in the history of Buffett's touring. So how is it comical to say that the return of shows would be a monumental occasion if something as unprecedented as this has never happened before. I was too young to actually attend shows in the late 90s/early 2000s but know a lot about them from researching the setlists, old tour shirts, etc. Just because I'm relatively new to posting on this board doesn't mean I'm new to the Buffett scene. His concerts are always relevant because his music has a very deep meaning to many, many people around the world.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

So now we know that at least part of the tour is being cancelled/re-scheduled. In looking at the dates, my best guess is they hope to start at Bristow in August. That gives them the East Coast, Red Rocks and Europe.
I doubt that the band needs much time to get up to speed. What do they do normally, 4 or 5 days of rehearsals?
Don't worry though, unless Twitter or some other social media explodes with 16 - 25 year old kids proclaiming that a Buffett show is amazing, you should be able to get tickets to any concert that is put on.
"Some people never find it..."
Rabbitz
Hoot!

Post by Rabbitz »

jbfins wrote: March 15, 2021 2:57 pm <snip.>
I doubt that the band needs much time to get up to speed. What do they do normally, 4 or 5 days of rehearsals?
<snip>
While this may be true with regards to playing the songs.

Performing the songs is a very different matter. As some may know I have worked as a roadie on and off for more years than I care to remember, so I have a little insight into what goes on to get that show on stage and ready to wow the punters.

JB and his band are a touring band, with a fairly large on stage group of musicians. It's not like the average pub band that rock up to a venue, hang a back drop, stack up a little PA and arrange some instruments around the stage and get stuck into it.

Touring is a whole other beast that is planned and designed meticulously all so it looks unplanned and spontaneous :)

JB uses reasonably elaborate sets ( not as elaborate as others, but tricky enough) which need to be designed, built, tested, rehearsed with, packing designed, set up and breakdown procedures designed, transported, crews trained in how to set up, operate, breakdown and pack up the sets. Instrument techs need to learn the instrument routines for the songs, they need to learn how each instrument and musician needs to be handled, etc etc etc.

Touring a show is a big deal and it costs a deadset fortune to get to a point where the support act can wander onstage on the first night (and no doubt trip over the first cable they should try and step over :) ). The trouble for touring acts at the moment is how much of this prep work can they afford to do with no promise of ever staging the tour? This is complicated by the fact that we have no idea what plague laws and rules will be in place tomorrow, let alone in 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 months so how do you design the show and sets and all the other stuff?

If getting a pub band on stage is hard enough at the moment, getting a tour on the road is mind boggling.

It's not impossible but it is risky, both financially and from a health perspective (let's face it most of the band are in high risk categories anyway). So right now is the risk/reward equation stacking up?
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Rabbitz wrote: March 15, 2021 4:13 pm
jbfins wrote: March 15, 2021 2:57 pm <snip.>
<snip>
While this may be true with regards to playing the songs.

Performing the songs is a very different matter. As some may know I have worked as a roadie on and off for more years than I care to remember, so I have a little insight into what goes on to get that show on stage and ready to wow the punters.

JB and his band are a touring band, with a fairly large on stage group of musicians. It's not like the average pub band that rock up to a venue, hang a back drop, stack up a little PA and arrange some instruments around the stage and get stuck into it.

Touring is a whole other beast that is planned and designed meticulously all so it looks unplanned and spontaneous :)

JB uses reasonably elaborate sets ( not as elaborate as others, but tricky enough) which need to be designed, built, tested, rehearsed with, packing designed, set up and breakdown procedures designed, transported, crews trained in how to set up, operate, breakdown and pack up the sets. Instrument techs need to learn the instrument routines for the songs, they need to learn how each instrument and musician needs to be handled, etc etc etc.

Touring a show is a big deal and it costs a deadset fortune to get to a point where the support act can wander onstage on the first night (and no doubt trip over the first cable they should try and step over :) ). The trouble for touring acts at the moment is how much of this prep work can they afford to do with no promise of ever staging the tour? This is complicated by the fact that we have no idea what plague laws and rules will be in place tomorrow, let alone in 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 months so how do you design the show and sets and all the other stuff?

If getting a pub band on stage is hard enough at the moment, getting a tour on the road is mind boggling.

It's not impossible but it is risky, both financially and from a health perspective (let's face it most of the band are in high risk categories anyway). So right now is the risk/reward equation stacking up?
I know from working in a theater that a venue has to budget for double of what the band is asking for. For a band like Earth , Wind and Fire . They cost 100,000.00 so you figure 200,000.00. You have to figure in what your breakeven is. In a 1700 seat venue, that is one expensive ticket. Without full capacity, I don't see Venues taking the financial risk at this point.
BottleofRum
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Tanglewood, in Lennox, MA announced today a limited summer concert series with an abbreviated six-week season that will run through Aug. 16. Tanglewod is similar to Great Woods in that they have a shed and a lawn section. Their rules for 2021.

*All concertgoers, staff and volunteers will be required to wear masks at all times, except when consuming food and beverage.
*Limit crowd density through physical distancing and reducing or eliminating gatherings in small spaces.
*Currently no plans to requiring proof of vaccination for entrance.
* Reduced capacity to meet state requirements.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote: March 19, 2021 7:24 pm Tanglewood, in Lennox, MA announced today a limited summer concert series with an abbreviated six-week season that will run through Aug. 16. Tanglewod is similar to Great Woods in that they have a shed and a lawn section. Their rules for 2021.

*All concertgoers, staff and volunteers will be required to wear masks at all times, except when consuming food and beverage.
*Limit crowd density through physical distancing and reducing or eliminating gatherings in small spaces.

Best concert venue in New England. I love it there.

Psyched to see this. I will be making a trip out at some point.
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

BottleofRum wrote: March 19, 2021 7:24 pm Tanglewood, in Lennox, MA announced today a limited summer concert series with an abbreviated six-week season that will run through Aug. 16. Tanglewod is similar to Great Woods in that they have a shed and a lawn section. Their rules for 2021.

So I just have to drink the whole time?
Got it :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the update! I guess we're headed in the right direction but I have no intention of going to a concert (outdoor OR indoor) where I have to wear a mask. That's just me.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

tailgaitingph wrote: March 19, 2021 8:40 pm

So I just have to drink the whole time?
Got it :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the update! I guess we're headed in the right direction but I have no intention of going to a concert (outdoor OR indoor) where I have to wear a mask. That's just me.
Batman wears a mask.
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

drunkpirate66 wrote: March 19, 2021 8:59 pm
tailgaitingph wrote: March 19, 2021 8:40 pm I guess we're headed in the right direction but I have no intention of going to a concert (outdoor OR indoor) where I have to wear a mask. That's just me.
Batman wears a mask.
There's only 1 Barry!
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

tailgaitingph wrote: March 19, 2021 9:01 pm
drunkpirate66 wrote: March 19, 2021 8:59 pm
tailgaitingph wrote: March 19, 2021 8:40 pm I guess we're headed in the right direction but I have no intention of going to a concert (outdoor OR indoor) where I have to wear a mask. That's just me.
Batman wears a mask.
There's only 1 Barry!
Hahahaha

When you’re right, you’re right!
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Rabbitz
Hoot!

Post by Rabbitz »

LIPH wrote: March 20, 2021 10:16 am Image
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
BottleofRum
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Buffett to do a series of socially distanced “boat shows” across the Southern U.S. coast in 2021. It is sort of Buried in the article which is mostly about his passion for guitars.

https://acousticguitar.com/guitar-talk- ... GHHvDXCfPs
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote: March 20, 2021 2:02 pm Buffett to do a series of socially distanced “boat shows” across the Southern U.S. coast in 2021. It is sort of Buried in the article which is mostly about his passion for guitars.

https://acousticguitar.com/guitar-talk- ... GHHvDXCfPs
Great find!