Feeding Frenzy

Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
Submit your review of the album

Post by Guest »

Posted By Captain Max
A good live album, but not as good as You Had to Be There. Some of the versions sound better than their studio counterparts, while others sounded better as originally recorded. It does a good job of making you feel like you are at a concert if you turn it up loud (esp. on headphones) and close your eyes. It also has some good CD liner notes and photos. They did a bad job of programming the CD where songs start - after the intro to the songs have been spoken. So if you shuffle the tracks, the intros will be out of sync with the songs. Good to taunt drunk people with!

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
I agree about the intros, but that's also true of TT&S. Sometimes I have to listen to stuff I'd otherwise skip just to hear the patter....

Post by Guest »

Posted By headparrothead
This is one of the best authorized live releases i've ever heard. The versions of the songs are fantastic. There is so much energy on this disc that you should get jolted just touching it. There is the problem of the intros to the songs if you have your cd player on shuffle mode and Jimmy really should have just combined "Today's Message" with "A Love Song" for the same reason. "You'll Never Work in dis Bidness Again" is super-charged from the first note to the last and then to follow it with "The City"...I never get tired of driving around Ft. Wayne listening to this song; or any city for that matter. Jimmy gives a flattering salute to Harry Belafonte with his rendition of "Jamaica Farewell" and it's more than fitting for the Cincinnati crowd to be amplified right after Jimmy sings, "she came down from Cincinnati...". This album is testament to Jimmy's ability to work an audience into a real-live feeding-frenzy.

But this isn't the only thing Jimmy did in 1990. He also found his way onto the Arachniphobia soundtrack with the song "Don't Bug Me". It reflects Jimmy's style at the time, because it sounds like it could have been taken from "Off to See the Lizard". Fingers' harmonica really stands out on this song as well and it's a real surprise that this song is not in the live rotation.
In 1991 Jimmy found his way into the movies again with the song "Why Don't We Get Drunk". It appears in the movie "The Doctor" as a sing-along version. Actor William Hurt uses it as his "closing music" in the operating room and the whole cast sings along...except for one assistant, who doesn't sing the song until William Hurt ends up having to take a dose of his own medicine later on in the movie.

score--Feeding Frenzy: 5 1/2 coronas (out of 5)
score--Don't Bug Me: 5 coronas
score--WDWGDAS (movie track): 5 of 5 coronas

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
I like this one, too -- so much so that I've got an office copy & a home copy, as I would sometimes forget to transport it. Went to one of the December concerts with someone who had not only not been to a concert before, but is from another country; when I was forming up my group, asked him if he'd like to see a 'uniquely American experience', then lent him some highlight CDs to prepare. Naturally, this was among them (also Fruitcakes, Hot Water, AIA & a couple of the BBB&Bs). Since I'm generally fairly subdued in the office, he was surprised at the behavior that went on at the concert, but he's going to 'study' before next time so he'll know all the words like the rest of us did. Even having heard the CD, though, 'Fins' had him a bit stymied (maybe he hadn't seen 'Jaws' -- I told him beforehand that when you hear the 'Jaws' music, the crowd goes wild, leaps to its feet & everyone puts their hands over their heads..... probably should have given him 'live' lessons at the office)

Post by Guest »

Posted By ohio
Anon.: if you can give "Fins" lessons in your office, I wanna send in my application! Does that mean they don't look at you funny when you accidentally erupt into uncontrollable giggles?? PHINS WAY UP, loved your story!

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
Ohio -- next time you're in Houston, stop by the office & we'll do fins. (Guess who -- I hit the wrong button -- probably some subliminal urge to give the impression I'm not just hanging out around here all the time......)

WD

Post by Guest »

Posted By ohio
WD: be careful what you offer...all Louise said is "hey why doncha?"...and look what the Minister got hisself into...and I'm not hanging out here either! ;)

Post by Guest »

Posted By well duh
No kidding -- Has Mrs. Minister been informed of this yet? ('Hey, honey, I invited a whole website of loony people over for a week next summer. Start boiling that shrimp')........I'm sure she's a very kind woman with a great sense of humor, but this might stretch anyone's tolerance level....

Post by Guest »

Posted By ohio
nope. we're pretty sure he's still chicken to tell her. says he's waiting for just the right moment...like, what, maybe the day before we get there??

...indecision may or may not be my problem...

Post by Guest »

Posted By Juicyfruit
Or when we're on the porch?

Post by Guest »

Posted By GaBuffettFan
WD, Ohio -

Been talking to the Minister regularly and not only has he not told his significant other about Margarita Stock, he hasn't told her about the other concerts he has tickets for! :)

The poor woman has no clue as to what her future holds!!!!!

Hey - hubby put in the new modem!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Posted By well duh
Well, as we know him to be a lovely person, we'll agree he has many redeeming qualities, but I think he'd better let her know as soon as possible. As I believe Louise once noted, it's not like the local church ladies are coming to visit....

Post by Guest »

Posted By headparrothead
minister's options:

1) bite the bullet and tell the mrs.
2) act like he's clueless when everyone shows up
3) send the wife on a weekend shopping spree

Post by Guest »

Posted By headparrothead
and 4) "hey honey...i hear cincinnati is great to visit in august.

Post by Guest »

Posted By well duh
headparrothead -- you here tonight? I need to send a test note to make certain my email's set up properly-- you willing?

Post by Guest »

Posted By MINISTEROFMARGARITA
HEADPARROTHEAD:
I LIKE OPTION # 2 THE BEST.

OPTION # 3 IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, UNEQUIVOCABLY, WHOLEHEATEDLY, 100 PER CENT
O-U-T O-F T-H-E Q-U-E-S-T-I-O-N!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Posted By headparrothead
WD:
sorry...i was online late, but downloading from napster mostly after that post..i think--heck--i don't know. i'll be on occasionally today...go ahead and send to me.

minister: i figured as much.

Post by Guest »

Posted By ohio
WD: do you still need to test you e-mail? MofM: I think the poor woman should get to shop! ;)

Post by Guest »

Posted By MINISTEROFMARGARITA
OHIO:

IF THE "POOR WOMAN" GOES SHOPPING, SHE WON'T BE POOR, I WILL BE SUPER POOR (OR MUCH POORER THAN I AM NOW).