Volcano on Meet Me In Margaritaville

Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

So, about VOLCANO ON "MMIM".......

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
nycparrothead
Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by nycparrothead »

phjrsaunt wrote:So, about VOLCANO ON "MMIM".......
There's a Volcano on the Malaysian Monkey Industrial Monument!?!??! :o :o :o
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

nycparrothead wrote:
There's a Volcano on the Malaysian Monkey Industrial Monument!?!??! :o :o :o
Under it actually.... :D
Parrot Monkey
I Love the Now!

Post by Parrot Monkey »

Yes, staying on topic is a virtue, but it’s kind of hard to do when people put your [screen]name in their post with the intent of putting you in a bad light.

Also, the content of that long post is nothing new at all. When I post something I think has significance, I save it on my hard disk. That post is just a not-so-neatly compilation of my “MCA rants”, if for no reason other to show many BNers that those posts were full of facts and not just wishful thinking on my part.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Parrot Monkey wrote:
Yes, staying on topic is a virtue, but it’s kind of hard to do when people put your [screen]name in their post with the intent of putting you in a bad light.

Also, the content of that long post is nothing new at all. When I post something I think has significance, I save it on my hard disk. That post is just a not-so-neatly compilation of my “MCA rants”, if for no reason other to show many BNers that those posts were full of facts and not just wishful thinking on my part.
I blame AADD for my lack of virtue.... :D
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Not that I'm not feeling anyone's pain, BUT:
That's enough. If you don't like what someone has said, or don't agree w/ it, you don't HAVE to reply. If you would not want it said to you in the tone that it is said, DON'T SAY IT.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
Parrot Monkey
I Love the Now!

Post by Parrot Monkey »

phjrsaunt wrote:Not that I'm not feeling anyone's pain, BUT:
That's enough. If you don't like what someone has said, or don't agree w/ it, you don't HAVE to reply. If you would not want it said to you in the tone that it is said, DON'T SAY IT.
I agree for the most part, but realize it can become increasingly difficult when people just don’t get your trying to help. I know I can be repetitive so that I can renew my cause with new research and to help reach the newbies, and by that I can annoy people who look at it from the wrong angle. However, I am not the one who brought up the issue in this particular thread. They asked for it, I complied. Sorry it turned out this way.
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

WOW! I haven't read that bit in quite a while. I agree for, ah, well, I don't buy the 'won't fit' bit about the liner notes, pictures and whatever else - since the lyric edition of Floridays until FSOTW there have been liner notes, lyrics and some pictures etc...even extra s*** on the actual record (video)!

So those things will fit. Hell, Virgin had NO TROUBLE reissuing The Rolling Stones albums with pictures and notes (no lyrics in a Stones album until, let's see, I think it was 1986's Dirty Work and every one since although they skimped on Steel Wheels a little. The last record to include lyrics with it before Dirty Work, I think, was ABKCO's first edition of Let It Bleed).

I still think it boils down to one thing - MCA just doesn't care. Nobody at MCA cares or cares enough about Jimmy Buffett - they never truly did and they never will except when it comes to Jimmy wanting to record new versions of some old tunes and HEY! LET'S RELEASE ANOTHER GREATEST HITS ALBUM TOGETHER!!!! (MMIM). They just want the money of letting the rotten original, ha ha, CD issues sitting around because for one they are already done, whatever that can mean, and they know if they do repackage everything, actually properly remaster everything, each record will only sell a minimum of probably 100,000 copies over a period of 5-10 years.

Which didn't seem to deter Virgin with the Stones back catalog.
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Doesn't it make anyone wonder that if Jimmy could...mute the original vocal track on Volcano and add a new vocal that that would mean he had access to the...master tape?

MCA has those. Right? So how did that happen? Hmmmmmm
Jason Mason
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing The Cage and Fins
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes.

Re: Volcano on Meet Me In Margaritaville

Post by Jason Mason »

Left Field ParrotHead wrote:
greatheart wrote:Is it just me or is the version of Volcano on MMIM a newer version with different locations mentioned at the end? It is not designated as a new recording on the cd as others are but it is definately different than the original and its not live.
Your ears do not deceive you greatheart

Volcano - Songs you know by Heart

But I don't want to land in New York City,
I don't want to land in Mexico.
I don't want to land on no Three Mile Island;
I don't want to see my skin a-glow.
Don't want to land in Comanche Sky Park,
or in Nashville, Tennessee.
I don't want to land in no San Juan airport or
the Yukon Territory.
Don't want to land no San Diego.
Don't want to land in no Buzzards Bay.
I don't want to land on no Ayatollah
I got nothin' more to say.

Volcano - Meet Me In Margaritaville

But I don't want to land in no Kuwait City
I'd rather be in Mexico
Don't want to land in no Three-Mile Island
Don't want to feel my skin a-glow
Don't want to land upside down in Nantucket
Don't want to land in no Nagril Bay
Don't want to land in San Juan Airport
Where five minutes can feel like a day
I'd rather land in New York City
23rd Street is on my way
Don't to land on no Mulla Ulmar?(not sure of this one)
That is all I want to say
No s***??? I never noticed! Cool!
I still love old magazines and Snickers bars....
Parrot Monkey
I Love the Now!

Post by Parrot Monkey »

JustDucky wrote:Doesn't it make anyone wonder that if Jimmy could...mute the original vocal track on Volcano and add a new vocal that that would mean he had access to the...master tape?

MCA has those. Right? So how did that happen? Hmmmmmm
Yeah, the master tapes are alive and well, they were professionally handeled obviously just like any other artists recordings (with AT LEAST a decent budget), so it's not a matter on if it's possible or not; we can be 99.9% confident that the tapes are accessable and in just fine condition to be able to remaster, which was done with all the previously released material on Meet Me in Margaritaville, and I believe the same holds true on the previous two compilations, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads, and Songs You Know By Heart before it... Also, keep in mind Varsee Records, when they got a hold of the Barnaby recordings, remastered AND remixed all the tracks for the Down to Earth and High Cumberland Jubillee CD reissues in 1998...

So are all the recordings we want reissued from 1973 up to the mid eightees in fine condition to be the sources for remasters for all 13 or so albums? Of course! Instead, we just get compilations to tease us, with the occasional wacky "experiement" like the one that's this threads topic/namesake.

What I don't understand is why Volcano was "corrected" and brought "up to date" without re-recording from scratch, and Fruitcakes was placed on the same compilation in it's original album version without overdubbing the "We're seven years from the millinium..." lyric...?
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

No. Albums are not ever "remixed".

The Barnaby albums were not remixed by Varese - they were REMASTERED.

Big difference.

There are different mixes of some songs on Before The Beach - and since I haven't listened to Before The Salt in EONS I don't know if they are those particular mixes or different mixes.

But from what I can tell, some songs on the Varese albums are different mixes than those on BTB.

But the Varese albums sound better than the BTB comp.