JB on Vinyl

Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Landlocked Sailor Surfer
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

JB on Vinyl

Post by Landlocked Sailor Surfer »

I'm a volunteer who will be sorting through about 15,000 vinyl albums this Sunday to organize them for a public sale to benefit a radio station. I'm wondering how many folks here still collect vinyl, and is there anything I should be looking for in particular? Being a volunteer, I'll have first options to grab up the ones I'm interested in, for myself or for the rest of you.
"And there's this one particular harbour, so far and yet so near."
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

ME ME ME!!! :D
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

I don't want to be greedy, but I would LOVE to replace my vinyl copies of (in this order):

1. Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
2. You Had To Be There
3. Son Of A Son Of A Sailor

ImageImageImage

And of course keep your eye out for this ..... that's my #1 wish!

Down To Earth

I'll reimburse you fair dollars for these. Thanks!
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

I am not a collector as much as a "never-throw-anything-away" slug, but I have learned the basics of LP valuation. Mostly the vinyl itself should be in good playable condition, without scratches or warping. Certainly make sure the vinyl matches the cover -- they have been known to get mixed up. The cover itself should be in good condition (certainly in readable condition) and if the inner sleeve is present and matches the cover, so much the better.

If the vinyl, sleeve and cover are in excellent condition, then somebody in the world will want that LP no matter what it is.

Any popular music on an LP in good condition will be worth something, even if the cover is fair and the sleeve is missing.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

bravedave wrote:I am not a collector as much as a "never-throw-anything-away" slug, but I have learned the basics of LP valuation. Mostly the vinyl itself should be in good playable condition, without scratches or warping. Certainly make sure the vinyl matches the cover -- they have been known to get mixed up. The cover itself should be in good condition (certainly in readable condition) and if the inner sleeve is present and matches the cover, so much the better.

If the vinyl, sleeve and cover are in excellent condition, then somebody in the world will want that LP no matter what it is.

Any popular music on an LP in good condition will be worth something, even if the cover is fair and the sleeve is missing.
Good points. Actually in my case I'm more interested in replacing my album covers and the sleeves with the pictures and liner notes. I've kept my vinyl albums themselves in good shape, but the album covers and sleeves were attacked by mice one year and the edges were chewed. The only one that didn't get damaged was my copy of CILCIA, which I had framed several years ago after I got Jimmy to autograph it at a concert.

The rest had the corners chewed by pesky rodents during a lapse in judgement on my part when I moved and left them boxed in the basement for about a month.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

Definately put me on your list.
I'll take any ones I can get.
Let me know how much $$$$ you'll need to cover the costs.
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

CILCIA, if you can find it. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

$$ to follow. Thanks for the offer!
J.LeP
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by J.LeP »

Early Peter Mayer LPs have brought nice $$$ recently.
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!
VISIT: The Hanover Area Parrot Head Society - THAPHS.NET
VISIT: The Hanover Chili Cook Off - HANOVERCHILICOOKOFF.COM
Landlocked Sailor Surfer
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Many thanks to each of you. I'll pick up everything I can find and get back to you. Hopefully there will be some great albums that I will be sorting through, and the price for albums has already been advertised as $1 or less each! I hope they hold true to this. It should be a great day!
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

Landlocked Sailor Surfer wrote:Many thanks to each of you. I'll pick up everything I can find and get back to you. Hopefully there will be some great albums that I will be sorting through, and the price for albums has already been advertised as $1 or less each! I hope they hold true to this. It should be a great day!
Awesome Fellow Surfer. You can PM me here and I'll gladly reimburse you for shipping costs and all. Good luck and thanks!
Landlocked Sailor Surfer
Nibblin' on sponge cake

The good news is that there were plenty of vinyls, cd's, cassettes and even some 8 tracks to sort through for the sale next Saturday. The bad news is that I won't be able to see which Buffett albums are available and buy them until next Friday afternoon.

All of the sorting that went on today was in the jazz genre. I was asked to return to help out on Friday afternoon, the 27th, and promised that I could pick up anything I wanted during the set-up before the public gets a shot on Saturday morning.

There will also be posters for sale. The record store has several Buffett posters from over the years, all with good prices, of course. There may be a poster or two going towards the sale. This is all being done to benefit a local public radio station.

I was able to snag a double LP of Charlie Parker's "Bird in Sweden" in excellent condition! It's a UK release from 1976. I hope the Buffett albums will be in as good shape as this one is.

Stay tuned for the report on Friday night and I'll let you know what I got for you.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

That's great, Sailor Surfer.
Like I said, I'll take whatever you can get your hands on (vinyl), whether I already have it or not.
Just let me know what you were able to get.
Thanks.
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

Landlocked Sailor Surfer wrote:Stay tuned for the report on Friday night and I'll let you know what I got for you.
Good luck. I'm still interested in the albums I mentioned above. Thanks again!
Landlocked Sailor Surfer
Nibblin' on sponge cake

I'm sad to report that the record sale was a total bust as far as picking up anything Buffett that was of good quality. I came away with absolutely nothing. The covers were crap; the vinyl was crap. I went next door to the record store and all of the good items were for sale at regular store price, ranging from $7 to $10. If anyone is interested at those prices, please send me a private message and I'll go in one day when I'm not feeling so bummed out, and pick up what you need. The store had a great copy of CILCIA, a fairly decent A1A, and a few others that I can't remember at the moment.

Sorry folks. If you're half as bummed as I am after spending so much time working towards the effort, then we can all feel a lot let down. I should have known better.
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

Hey Landlocked SS ... no problem ... thanks for trying anyway. I appreciate the attempt. Too bad there weren't better selections but you gave it a try. Phins UP!
sharkdog
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Gypsies In The Palace
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark Beer

Post by sharkdog »

I was a radio jock for years and gave one of my good buddies here a promotional Margaritaville 45 on ABC records to hold unto for me I bet you all might have given me a couple of dollars for that one ;)

Vinyl is big in Japan the local record store owner here said he just had a group come in and buy 10,000 worth, and they'll be back.
Dino69
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One particular harbour
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tai (@ the Pink Palace!)

Re: JB on Vinyl

Post by Dino69 »

Noticed last night that my vinyl copy of A1A is on the Probe label, not ABC Dunhill. Anybody know the story behind this?

"The night wrote a check the morning couldn't cash."
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Dino69 wrote:Noticed last night that my vinyl copy of A1A is on the Probe label, not ABC Dunhill. Anybody know the story behind this?
According to this website: "Probe was an ABC Records subsidiary which lasted between 1968 and 1970 (although the name remained in use as an imprint under the ABC Records UK division and for international releases of ABC recordings for several more years). It was established to record and issue the psychedelic sounds of the late 1960s, and had such artists as the Soft Machine, the Litter, Zephyr (2), and Rare Bird."

If you look around on the web you'll find several Buffett releases on Probe, including A White Sportcoat and A Pink Crustacean. At this link you'll find a copy of the "Pencil Thin Mustache" b/w "Brand New Country Star" 45 on Probe.

Thanks for mentioning this as I've never noticed it before.

Dino69
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One particular harbour
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tai (@ the Pink Palace!)

Post by Dino69 »

Thanks mate, perhaps my copy made it's way from England. All my other early JB's are ABC Dunhill, although my Havana Daydreamin' isn't a gatefold (I think it came out as a gatefold) even though it's made from good early-mid 1970's thick cardboard stock.
I wish the MCA CD back catalogue had kept faithful to the original artwork and liner notes instead of the generic - original front cover but with the boring spine/back cover details (same goes for my Lynyrd Skynyrd CD's).

"The night wrote a check the morning couldn't cash."
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Dino69 wrote:Thanks mate, perhaps my copy made it's way from England. All my other early JB's are ABC Dunhill, although my Havana Daydreamin' isn't a gatefold (I think it came out as a gatefold) even though it's made from good early-mid 1970's thick cardboard stock.
I wish the MCA CD back catalogue had kept faithful to the original artwork and liner notes instead of the generic - original front cover but with the boring spine/back cover details (same goes for my Lynyrd Skynyrd CD's).
Havaña Daydreamin' is definitely a gatefold (artwork below courtesy of B u f f e t t World). When MCA acquired the catalog, they did away with the gatefolds for Buffett's and Skynyrd's albums (as well as any record that was packaged as a gatefold or two LP set). In regards to CD's, some of Skynyrd's original albums have been reissued as expanded deluxe editions with the original artwork restored. Why Buffett has never taken on such a project is a mystery as his back catalog is in dire need of the same treatment.