HOW ARE VEGAS SHOWS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SHOWS?

Polls about Jimmy, his music, etc

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ARE VEGAS JB SHOWS MORE FUN THAN SHOWS IN OTHER CITIES?

YES
32%
NO
14%
NEVER BEEN THERE
54%

Total votes: 91

A1A BOUND
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

HOW ARE VEGAS SHOWS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SHOWS?

Post by A1A BOUND »

VEGAS WILL BE MY FIRST JB CONCERT. I WOULD IMAGINE IT WOULD A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN OTHER VENUES. I MAY BE WRONG. WILL THERE BE TAILGATING? WILL EVERYONE BE DRESSED IN THE APPROPRIATE PH ATTIRE?

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I'm hoping with all hope that my birthday present from hubby is tix to Vegas. I've never seen him in Vegas but would LOVE to.

I would imagine it would be hard to tailgate in Vegas but parrotheads are very creative.

As for the alst part of your question....I would expect everyone to be decked out in full-on PH attire!

Pencil Thin (inactive)
Inactive User

Post by Pencil Thin (inactive) »

Vegas is both different than any Buffett concert...and the same as every Buffett concert! :D After all, it's Vegas!!! I have been lucky enough to see Jimmy there for the last 6 years. Every time seems to get better than the last! Tailgating is usually at the old theme park at the MGM the day of the show, but it also usually starts a couple days before at various locations (Tommy Rocker's, Flamingo, etc...) Definitely recommend going if you haven't been. :D

ordo
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by ordo »

Isn't the old theme park under construction? I was wondering the same thing as to the venue. I like the idea of crawling back to my room and not needing the dd thing. (Which is why I stay on Fleming St :wink: )
Gor, Gur, big difference, huge difference!

NorCal
Gypsies in the palace

Post by NorCal »

My first Jimmy in Vegas experience was last years September show and I have to say I had a blast. The pre-party behind the MGM was awesome and it just kept getting better from there. At first I was worried about the cost of it all, but when it was all said and done it was worth every cent (of couse it helped that I hit a Royal Flush on my departure day)!

Last year was the buds trip, this year we've expanded to the significant others (I need someone to help me to the room afterwards :wink: )!

I give it a 10! :pirate:

Frank and Lola
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by Frank and Lola »

This will be our 6th time seeing Jimmy in Vegas, it gets better everytime. There is no other concert like it. First of all "your in Las Vegas" you will see a ton of Parrotheads dressed appropriately sitting at the black jack tables or slot machines or just about anywhere. Everyone will talk to you or smile at you or offer opinions of which Jimmy shirt to buy at the MGM store. You will meet a ton of people from all over the world, because everyone is so friendly. This year is going to be a little different because the pre-concert party. the night before at Ricardo's and all the resturants along the walk to the "Parrotheads in Paradise Party" at the Park I would imagine are all gone now (shame - I'm going to miss Kenny playing all those Jimmy songs and sharing the microphone with Parrotheads who knew the words and wanted to sing (or didn't know the words, it didn't matter)
What is amazing about Vegas is what we like to call it - it is a "JIMMY WEEKEND" the entire weekend (including the pool at the MGM) is playing Jimmy and people all weekend are dressed for and hipped about and Partying because of the Jimmy Concert no matter where you go.
You will have a blast I promise!
Take us to your blender!

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

I did the tax day show a few years back
and we found the crowd to be more into it but it was our
first out of Nor. Cal. show!

I am brave.. went with my semi-PH lil sis (mormon)
and her best friend also a semi_ PH (Jehovas Witness)

yes I am a Pirate :pirate: :wink:

zanth
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Mmmmm....Corona

Post by zanth »

Well, this year will be my first Vegas show, and I am sure it will be fun. Thanks to all who gave their stories, will make waiting for October a bit tough but something to look forward to :D
"I'm a relatively respectable citizen -- a multiple felon, perhaps, but certainly not dangerous." - HST

Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

You know when you turn on your TV in a hotel room, how it always goes to that one channel that says, "Welcome to the [insert hotel name here] hotel" and shows the channel lineup and the options for ordering movies, etc? When I was there in 2000, on the day of the show, that channel on the MGM TVs played Buffett music all day.

brahmafear
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by brahmafear »

I've been fortunate enough to see JB in SC, UT, and CA dating clear back to 1976. My trip to LV this year is already ranked among the best. I have not been to a bad JB concert. I just hope I can meet up with y'all like I have in the past in CA. I'm looking forward to the MGM concert. Let's hook-up and we can vote when we all get back, eh? :D :D 8) 8)
Image Image Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

ragtopW wrote:I did the tax day show a few years back
and we found the crowd to be more into it but it was our
first out of Nor. Cal. show!
I was at that show too, tax day is my birthday. It was also the first time I ever traveled out of NY to go to a Buffett concert.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

MICHIPHIN
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Down at the Lah De Dah
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Adult Beverages

Post by MICHIPHIN »

I'd tell ya...but what happens in Vegas...Stays in Vegas..

doubleb
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by doubleb »

I thinks its the best place I have been ,, its nice not to have to drive after the show.. it costs 3 times as much because I gamble poorly

A1A BOUND
License to Chill

Post by A1A BOUND »

doubleb wrote:I thinks its the best place I have been ,, its nice not to have to drive after the show.. it costs 3 times as much because I gamble poorly
call me crazy but i dont even plan on gambling. :-?

prairie the pirate
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by prairie the pirate »

A1A BOUND wrote:
doubleb wrote:I thinks its the best place I have been ,, its nice not to have to drive after the show.. it costs 3 times as much because I gamble poorly
OK -- you're crazy!

Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

prairie the pirate wrote:
A1A BOUND wrote:
OK -- you're crazy!
I decided when I was out there for the grand opening that I could leave money at the tables or at the Margaritaville store, so I came home with a bunch of stuff. I don't know if I have bad luck or am just a lousy gambler, but I'm too cheap to really try to find out!
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Re: HOW ARE VEGAS SHOWS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SHOWS?

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

A1A BOUND wrote:VEGAS WILL BE MY FIRST JB CONCERT. I WOULD IMAGINE IT WOULD A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN OTHER VENUES. I MAY BE WRONG. WILL THERE BE TAILGATING? WILL EVERYONE BE DRESSED IN THE APPROPRIATE PH ATTIRE?
HaaaaHaaaHaaa !!!!!

It's Las Vegas...the whole place is a tailgate!!!!!

Well you are in for a treat!!!! First off there will be constant parties in all the Parrotthead watering holes....not to mention Margiritaville....On the evening of the 15th the LVPHclub will host the LastMan Standing Party at Tommy Rockers....The day of the 16th the party is at the MGM's back garden area (huge area full of food and drink and wild-ness.....)

Oh yea....bring your grass skirt, coconut bra, parrothead hat, beads, and lots of beach balls. If you can manage it you also need to bring in an inflatable shark for Fins.

We have always compared venues on a percentage scale....

It goes like this;

At a 10% concert/venue, 10% of the people are dressed in grass skirts and coconut bras. The other 90% are in hawaiin shirts and shorts.

A 90% concert/venue, 90% are in skirts and coconut bras....etc

Vegas is a 90+++%

Portland Oregon was a 5% show (and I think that me, my wife and 3 'keets made up the 5%)

Maui was about a 10%

Don't get me wrong...they are all great!!!! But Vegas is ...just that and a whole lot more.....
Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....

jeepgirl
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 35

Post by jeepgirl »

MICHIPHIN wrote:I'd tell ya...but what happens in Vegas...Stays in Vegas..

YIKES!!!!!!
ImageImage

Frank and Lola
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by Frank and Lola »

This picture was the first year the Idaho boys were in Las Vegas
(sorry FINSUPinIdaho I just had to post this) :roll:

http://www.buffettfan.net/gallery/album ... BO%7E1.JPG
Take us to your blender!

finsup2k
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 38

Post by finsup2k »

My two cents is...

...I've been to three Buffett shows in Vegas and I love 'em. We make a huge weekend out of the show and usually go with some phaithful phriends. The MGM Grand arena, although indoors, is a fairly good venue; however, the stream of people leaving the show is always a huge pain in the arse. For some reason, there are huge traffic jams getting out and getting to the craps tables to recoup the ticket prices!!!!!

Have a blast.
"As the son of a son of a sailor I went out on the sea for adventure..."