How long have you been a Parrothead?

Polls about Jimmy, his music, etc

Moderator: SMLCHNG

When did you discover Jimmy Buffett and become a Parrothead?

Before 1975
9%
1976 - 1980
23%
1981 - 1985
13%
1986 - 1990
24%
1996 - 2000
16%
2001 - 2005
12%
2006 - Present
2%

Total votes: 181

SailQwest
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SailQwest »

In 1989, I was taking an aerobics class, and the instructor played Jimmy almost exclusively.

Besides introducing me to Jimmy's music, she also introduced me to my husband, who took me sailing on our first date.

So for me Jimmy = Love & Happiness [smilie=hearts.gif]
AdamBomb8
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Coastal Confessions
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: BEER! It's good food

Post by AdamBomb8 »

I've enjoyed his music since the mid 80's, didn't go to my first Buffett show until 1991.
Bryn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Bryn »

Between 1991-1995.

I'm 19 now, but my grandma had Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes and A White Sportscoat and a Pink Crustacean and played them all the time when I was little, so that's what got me hooked.
murPH
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: "Desperation Samba--Anguilla version"
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: perfect margarita, of course!

Post by murPH »

Early 1990's. There was a "Parrothead Party" at the pool, and our son attended, and soon we saw him at the microphone singing Buffett songs with the musicians entertaining at the party. He was hooked, and dragged us old folks along with him. I remembered the Margaritaville craze, but that was about it. Now I have retired, and have made following Jimmy Buffett around my life's work! And #1 son still attends the concerts with us!

murPH [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

"More cowbell!"---Christopher Walken
"Still crazy after all these years."---Paul Simon
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I didn't go to my first Buffett concert until 1988 but I've been a fan since my college days in the '70s. Although some people might ell you I've been a s***-head a lot longer than I've been a parrothead.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
murPH
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: "Desperation Samba--Anguilla version"
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: perfect margarita, of course!

Post by murPH »

LIPH wrote:I didn't go to my first Buffett concert until 1988 but I've been a fan since my college days in the '70s. Although some people might ell you I've been a s***-head a lot longer than I've been a parrothead.
:D :D :D

"More cowbell!"---Christopher Walken
"Still crazy after all these years."---Paul Simon
JB Fan from the Midwest
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pencil Thin Mustache
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Tequila on the Rocks

Post by JB Fan from the Midwest »

Met my husband in 1983 and he introduced me to JB. We married in '85 and I consider us Parrotheads from the start. We didn't officially join a PHC until 1991 - only because we found one close to us at that time.
JB Fan From the Midwest
Been reading for years - just never needed to post before!!
bestseller92
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: "Son of a Son of a Sailor"
Favorite Boat Drink: Non drinker.

Post by bestseller92 »

Been a Buffett fan since 1985, when I was 17. I liked his radio hit "If the Phone Doesn't Ring", which caused me to buy his "Last Mango in Paris" album, and then soon after I bought the (then) newly released "Songs You Know by Heart" and was hooked.
jeepndd
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: A pirate looks at forty.
Number of Concerts: 4
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer

Post by jeepndd »

I've been a Parrothead since I was a kid but it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I finally became a "real" Parrothead. Last year at my first live Jimmy Buffett concert I finally became a "really real" Parrothead it was so exciting. This year I'm even more excited about moving into the more advanced "really really real" Parrothead as I attend my second Jimmy Buffett concert. Like a fine wine it just keeps getting better with time. :wink:
PerfectPartner
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: That depends on my mood!
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Dew and Parrot Bay

Post by PerfectPartner »

I became a fan when Come Monday came out, 1973 - '74?? Bought the 45 with Wino & I Know on the flip side. Still have that somewhere! I was 13 at the time!! Time passed and I tried to get my Mom to buy me CIACIL but she wouldn't!! When I started working at 18, my boss was an old stoner and got me to buy You Had To Be There. I was hooked!! Just about wore that album out (it is worn out now, warped so bad it won't play anymore :cry: )and several others. My first concert was during the Somewhere Over China Tour. It was great!! My ex-husband wouldn't go with me after I bought the tickets. He did not like Jimmy (or dogs and kids), so I took my boss from a different place I was working. She was a fan and we had a good time! The ex and I divorced in 1982!
I have since remarried and Mike is a Parrothead too!! (And we have 2 kids and 9 dogs!!! :lol: ) We finally got to go to a concert in 2002, I think, where we met a bunch of BNer's and we go every chance we get when Jimmy comes to Florida. Hope to make the Florida show this time around if we can!!!
ImageImage
massbeauty
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by massbeauty »

my aunt and uncle introduced me to buffett in 1997 when i was just 18years old, haha...been a huge fan ever since. and it has brought us closer as a family :lol:
rum pirate
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: a pirate looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: malibu rum and diet coke

Re: How long have you been a Parrothead?

Post by rum pirate »

The first time I ever saw Jimmy was at Virginia Tech in a room that probably held 500 people, my girlfriend at the time was a student at Tech and got us tickets,later that year went to see him at Carowinds in Charlotte NC , now all these years later and 32 concerts I'm a pirate lookin at 51, what a strange wonderful ride its been. As long as Jimmy keeps touring , I'll keep goin :D
yes I am a pirate......and a Hokie too!
daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

Since 1984.

I had always liked "Margaritaville"...then I saw a closeout on 8-tracks at Target. "You Had to Be There" was only $1.00 and it had "Margaritaville" on there! Needless to say, I purchased it and was instantly hooked. Took me 4 more years to get to my 1st show in 1988's Hot Water Tour.
1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1984
La Vie Dansante
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Couldn't possibly choose just one
Number of Concerts: 4
Favorite Boat Drink: Couldn't possibly choose just one

Post by La Vie Dansante »

"When did you discover Jimmy Buffett and become a Parrothead? "

Like a lot of other posters, I can't really answer this qusetion since it presupposes that if you are a Buffett fan, you are also a Parrothead, or that your discovery of JB and becoming a Parrothead happened simultaneously.
I am a second generation Buffett fan, grew up in south Florida in the 70's, my parents and their friends would go to see JB in small clubs and bars. I can remember being about 5 years old and "Come Monday" being my favorite song.
But while I "discovered" JB almost 35 years ago (and his music has been an integral part of my life ever since), I still do not consider myself a "Parrothead".
You can be a fan of Jimmy Buffett without being a Parrothead (and vice versa).
ParrotHeadDeb
Behind Door #3

Post by ParrotHeadDeb »

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A PARROTHEAD?? Not Long Enough!! :P

1999 for me.
jsfins
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by jsfins »

:evil:
First time I heard Jimmy on the radio doing "God's Own Drunk" not sure but was some where around1971. Song was being played on "Beeker Street- Clyde Clifford- Little Rock Arkansas am radio. This was the friday and saturday night show that played album music back in the dark ages of the late 60's early 70's. First saw Jimmy in Chicago in early 70's. Not sure if I'm a Parrothead or just a fan? Started goin to the new shows in 1998 with a group of 12 of us that has came down last year to 5. Have tickets for Indy this August. Sail on sail on- for this Pirate lookin at 60. Snake
jeff e
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Happily Ever After (Now & Then)
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Whatever those people over there are having

Post by jeff e »

I first heard some Jimmy Buffett songs performed by a small band in the original Tropical Isle in New Orleans in the summer of 1989, where I spent alot of Friday/Saturday nights. I got ahold of the Feeding Frenzy CD in 1992 and Pirate Looks at Forty put a hook into me real hard. Finally got to my first show in 1995 at the MGM in Vegas and have been going to shows there or Phoenix ever since. Took my girlfriend to her first show last week in Phoenix, she had a great time. I told her on the drive back to Tucson that taking a day and a half off to see a show feels like being gone for a week. :pirate:
fcom

Post by fcom »

For me it was 1981
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

ParrotHeadDeb wrote:HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A PARROTHEAD?? Not Long Enough!! :P

1999 for me.
That's the way I always feel too...first heard Jimmy back in the 70s, got You Had To Be There also bought Floridays, but never went to a concert until 1994.

Life is good!
PerfectPartner
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: That depends on my mood!
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Dew and Parrot Bay

Re:

Post by PerfectPartner »

Angel Beech wrote:
Conolulu wrote:
IrishPirate wrote:Long before we were called "Parrotheads"! :lol:

Ditto. :lol:
Dezdmona wrote:Indeed Irish Pirate.

For me it was 1977. 8)
We're showing our age here... my answer is the same as Irish PH. 8)
1974 - Come Monday
Really stuck when I saw him open for The Eagles in '77 - the summer of Margaritaville. Timothy B. Schmidt of The Eagles dubbed us Parrotheads at that time - so the story goes.
Same for me. Come Monday was the first song I heard by Jimmy. Bought the 45 and I still have it!!! Just about worn out because I played the heck out of the flipside, The Wino and I Know.
ImageImage