Page 3 of 3

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: January 23, 2016 9:32 am
by TommyBahama
sistergoldenhair wrote:Medley -- Free and Into the Mystic
Glory Days






Just Kidding , that and Sorry Jen , Love Peters Music , But Yellow Submarine have to go...... I wish he would play Sea Cruise a little more

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: July 15, 2016 2:51 pm
by Mileko
Thank God the Tiki Bar Is Open

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: August 10, 2016 10:18 pm
by cm22lmr
Uncle John's Band

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: September 15, 2016 9:11 am
by Pirate Lookin' at 40
Southern Cross comes off so great when it's live, that it's hard to go against that one.

I'm sure a lot of folks are sick of it, but "Brown Eyed Girl" is great live as well. I won't hardly listen to the studio cut though.

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 7, 2016 11:38 am
by ASaltyPieceOfLand
So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 7, 2016 12:11 pm
by FinsUp6835
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
To me, I have a different definition of "cover" song. Songs like Makin Music for Money, Lovely cruise ARE Jimmy Buffett songs and really made "known" by him. Even though he technically didn't write them, I don't consider them a cover. To me, a cover is "Brown Eyed Girl" because it was made hugely popular by another artist. Or, even, "Scarlet Begonias" by the Dead. Again, because these songs are popular songs by other MAJOR bands then they are a cover. "Mexico" clearly a cover because it was made famous by James Taylor. "Southern Cross" a cover! It actually makes me cringe when people consider gems like stories we could tell, spider john, last line, lovely cruise, etc to be considered "covers." If that were the case, then 80% of popular country artists should all be considered "cover bands." - including great performers and artists like Kenny Chesney who only pens probably 60% of his stuff, if that.

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 14, 2016 12:20 pm
by ASaltyPieceOfLand
FinsUp6835 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
To me, I have a different definition of "cover" song. Songs like Makin Music for Money, Lovely cruise ARE Jimmy Buffett songs and really made "known" by him. Even though he technically didn't write them, I don't consider them a cover. To me, a cover is "Brown Eyed Girl" because it was made hugely popular by another artist. Or, even, "Scarlet Begonias" by the Dead. Again, because these songs are popular songs by other MAJOR bands then they are a cover. "Mexico" clearly a cover because it was made famous by James Taylor. "Southern Cross" a cover! It actually makes me cringe when people consider gems like stories we could tell, spider john, last line, lovely cruise, etc to be considered "covers." If that were the case, then 80% of popular country artists should all be considered "cover bands." - including great performers and artists like Kenny Chesney who only pens probably 60% of his stuff, if that.
You're just a bit exclusive about what you consider a cover - in this case, only well known songs by MAJOR bands like the Grateful Dead and James Taylor and CSN etc are covers.

Makin' Music For Money was written and recorded by Alex Harvey and released on his album True Love in 1973.

The Ballad Of Spider John, written by Willis Alan Ramsey, was on his album Willis Alan Ramsey. Jimmy heard it and liked it. That's a cover song.

Stories We Could Tell is a cover. It was written and recorded by John Sebastian on his Tarzan Kid album in 1974. Have you ever heard it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNynBoHrSk

It is true that Bama Breeze and Lovely Cruise were never released before Buffett recorded and released them, however, they're still not written by him, which still constitutes as a cover song.

Because when it boils down to it, a cover is a song written by someone else, not the person playing it. The original studio recording - which is not the demo - is different. The original version of Bama Breeze, which was written by THREE people, is by Jimmy Buffett - and he even changed the lyrics and took zero song writing credit for those changes. So technically it is "originally by" Jimmy Buffett - but it's a cover song.

80% of country artists are cover bands? That's probably accurate. Most of them don't do their own songs - they're covers. Great performers and artists - and then you say Kenny Chesney? But you said "great performers and artists". How does Kenny Chesney fit into that? If he pens 60% of his stuff then that leaves 40% of it being covers.

You don't consider those songs JB did as covers... but they are, regardless of your definition.

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 14, 2016 12:50 pm
by FinsUp6835
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
To me, I have a different definition of "cover" song. Songs like Makin Music for Money, Lovely cruise ARE Jimmy Buffett songs and really made "known" by him. Even though he technically didn't write them, I don't consider them a cover. To me, a cover is "Brown Eyed Girl" because it was made hugely popular by another artist. Or, even, "Scarlet Begonias" by the Dead. Again, because these songs are popular songs by other MAJOR bands then they are a cover. "Mexico" clearly a cover because it was made famous by James Taylor. "Southern Cross" a cover! It actually makes me cringe when people consider gems like stories we could tell, spider john, last line, lovely cruise, etc to be considered "covers." If that were the case, then 80% of popular country artists should all be considered "cover bands." - including great performers and artists like Kenny Chesney who only pens probably 60% of his stuff, if that.
You're just a bit exclusive about what you consider a cover - in this case, only well known songs by MAJOR bands like the Grateful Dead and James Taylor and CSN etc are covers.

Makin' Music For Money was written and recorded by Alex Harvey and released on his album True Love in 1973.

The Ballad Of Spider John, written by Willis Alan Ramsey, was on his album Willis Alan Ramsey. Jimmy heard it and liked it. That's a cover song.

Stories We Could Tell is a cover. It was written and recorded by John Sebastian on his Tarzan Kid album in 1974. Have you ever heard it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNynBoHrSk

It is true that Bama Breeze and Lovely Cruise were never released before Buffett recorded and released them, however, they're still not written by him, which still constitutes as a cover song.

Because when it boils down to it, a cover is a song written by someone else, not the person playing it. The original studio recording - which is not the demo - is different. The original version of Bama Breeze, which was written by THREE people, is by Jimmy Buffett - and he even changed the lyrics and took zero song writing credit for those changes. So technically it is "originally by" Jimmy Buffett - but it's a cover song.

80% of country artists are cover bands? That's probably accurate. Most of them don't do their own songs - they're covers. Great performers and artists - and then you say Kenny Chesney? But you said "great performers and artists". How does Kenny Chesney fit into that? If he pens 60% of his stuff then that leaves 40% of it being covers.

You don't consider those songs JB did as covers... but they are, regardless of your definition.
That is your opinion bud. :wink:

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 14, 2016 12:59 pm
by FinsUp6835
And yes Kenny ches is a great performer and artist! No shoes nation!

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 15, 2016 12:02 pm
by ASaltyPieceOfLand
FinsUp6835 wrote:That is your opinion bud. :wink:
It's simple if you look at it this way: if it's not written by the person singing it, it's a cover.

I don't understand how you think that songs that Jimmy did that were written as well as recorded by other people are not covers!

That may be your opinion but it's wrong!

There you go, dude! [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 15, 2016 4:12 pm
by FinsUp6835
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:That is your opinion bud. :wink:
It's simple if you look at it this way: if it's not written by the person singing it, it's a cover.

I don't understand how you think that songs that Jimmy did that were written as well as recorded by other people are not covers!

That may be your opinion but it's wrong!

There you go, dude! [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

Let us agree to disagree

Friends in low places was written by someone other than Garth Brooks. It's mind boggling that you would consider that a cover

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: October 18, 2016 12:44 pm
by ASaltyPieceOfLand
Not when you consider it's not written by Garth Brooks! The demo he did is the "original version" since the songwriters only had it down on napkins and his album version is considered the original but Mark Chesnutt did a version of it as well. Both came out in 1990 - and based on his singing it's obviously the way Brooks sang it on the demo.

I've just always looked at a song performend by someone that didn't write it is a cover song, regardless of that person who didn't write it doing the original version.

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Posted: July 10, 2019 6:09 pm
by atmarler26
TommyBahama wrote:
January 23, 2016 9:32 am
sistergoldenhair wrote:Medley -- Free and Into the Mystic
Glory Days






Just Kidding , that and Sorry Jen , Love Peters Music , But Yellow Submarine have to go...... I wish he would play Sea Cruise a little more
I actually wish he would bring back Yellow Submarine occasionally. It was an encore during the 2009 Summerzcool tour but hasn't been heard since (or at least I don't remember hearing it since.)

Another Saturday Night is my favorite of all his cover songs (his studio version is the best version of the song and definitely better than the original IMO), and the one I'd most like to see included in the setlist more often. I was hoping back in 2012 that he would play it at the Greatwoods show, but he ended up playing it at the Detroit ballpark show.

Brown Eyed Girl is also one of my all time favorite songs-especially the original version and also Jimmy's covers of it- but totally understand those who don't want to hear it at every single concert. I would definitely want to keep it in the large majority of setlists though.