what age were you when you first found JB?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

bahrmang
Nibblin' on sponge cake

what age were you when you first found JB?

Post by bahrmang »

i have to admit ive always heard his music, but i wasnt until i was in my mid twenties that i started to really get into his stuff....jimmy buffet that is!

i dont what drew me to it at that point, but it ws like bamm im hooked!
This morning I shot six holes in my freezer.
I think I got cabin fever.
finz83
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Happily Ever After(every now and then)
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by finz83 »

I started listening at age 18. Also grew up hearing it on the radio, but not thinking anything of it.

NOw 18 concerts later, I have to plan my vacations around Jimmy :wink:
My whole world lies waiting behind DOOR #3! In the meantime, I am just sippin' on a margarita.........
msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by msu#1 »

I was 16 and saw a ABC Saturday night Concert with Jimmy I was hooked.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
Alan11
Overkill

Post by Alan11 »

I knew who he was as a kid, but i really didn't get hooked on him until i was 25, my wife and myself were on our honeymoon and walked into tiki jims at myrtle beach, fruitcakes was playing and she started singing i asked her was it jimmy and she said yes. Been hooked ever since :D
"We Want Dallas, We Want Dallas"

RFK Stadium crowd chant during the NFC Championship game on January 22, 1983

www.facebook.com/Alan11
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

When I heard Jimmy Buffett for the first time I was in my mid-20's. Of course, the very first song I heard was "Margaritaville." I thought to myself, "HMMM-that's pretty catchy, it just might become a hit."
But it wasn't until a couple years later when I'd first heard "Changes In Latitudes", a song that I identified with at the time, that got me seriously listening to Jimmy. It was 1977, and I was 25. By the time I was 27, I knew I was hooked, however, I was well into my 30's when I went to my first concert.
Now, nearly 30 years and 27 concerts later, I'm still Margaritaville Daydreamin'.
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

I liked the songs Margaritaville snd Come Monday from the first time I heard them on radio, but they were the only JB I heard till I was in my late 40's :oops:

After several trips to the Caribbean, I asked for one of his CD's for Christmas....My husband purchased "Feeding Frenzy" for me....
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/
Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

I was 16 when I first heard songs other than Margaritaville
klg149
I need two more boat drinks

Post by klg149 »

My father always liked Margaritaville, but he was a school teacher and didn't think it appropriate to listen to around company :-? Anyway, when I was in college, my roommate dated a guy from Mississippi. One night, my roomy, her beau, his brother and I went to a small club to shoot some pool... Well, there were very few people there. So my roomy's man pulls out this cassette and takes it to the bartender. Next thing I hear is "Songs you know by Heart" :o His brother carried a copy with him too :o So after that, I went and bought my first of many 8)
Gonna dance ‘til I fall……
landshark04

Post by landshark04 »

I was 12 when i was first introduced. Me and family went to Magaritaville orlando, and we really liked the place. Afterwards my parents bought feeding frenzy, and ever since then ive been hooked :wink:
WAKE UP AND LIVE!
IsleReef
At the Bama Breeze

Post by IsleReef »

I was a late bloomer around 25 years old...............(12 years ago)
Wrinkles only go where smiles have been....
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

I liked him from high school, but junior year in college was when I finally went beyond SYKBH.
VB for Buffett
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by VB for Buffett »

I was raised on Jimmy.......been listening to him ever since I was a small child..........

I can remember all the hot summer days and nights at my beach house with Last Mango in Paris and SYKBH and Living and Dying blasting out of the stereo............ that’s the right way to be raised......Buffett on the beach...

.................................Now I am a bigger PH than my dad and mom ever were.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Image Image Image
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: mohito

Post by carolinagirl »

I was about 19 when I first got into Jimmy Buffett, when I was in college, and everyone was singing Buffett and the Eagles... Changes in Attitude, Changes in Lattitude was 18-yr-old boyfriend's favorite song because he had come from Lima, Peru, to Winthrop College in Rock Hill, SC, and what an extreme change in attitudes! (ultra-liberal to ultra-conservative)
It wasn't until I was 20 that I got to go to my first JB concert in Columbia, SC in 1978, then I saw him again in 1980 or 81. I was really more into Billy Joel in those days, however. I stayed a JB fan through the '80s and converted my new husband in 1987 when we listened to his music on a nine-hour drive to Key West when I was 29 and he was 32... We visited the Margaritaville Shop when it was close to the Half Shell Raw Bar.
We followed him from a distance for many years until my hubby got hooked on BuffettNews in 2001 or 2002, and he set up a trip for my third concert and hubby's first four years ago in Tallahassee. We joined the Parrothead nation for real and saw a concert a year until this year we saw two in a week. :) BuffettNews was the inspiration.
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Re: what age were you when you first found JB?

Post by phjrsaunt »

bahrmang wrote:i have to admit ive always heard his music, but i wasnt until i was in my mid twenties that i started to really get into his stuff....jimmy buffet that is!

i dont what drew me to it at that point, but it ws like bamm im hooked!
I guess I was about 15 when my big brother took me to my first concert. I was HOOKED at that point phor the rest of my life! :D

(btw, I'm moving this to the "Buffett Discussion Forum" since it's about Buffett. No worries! :D )

And welcome to BuffettNews, Bahrmang! We're glad you found us! :D

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

The firstm time

Post by blackjack »

Much like many of you, I only new a few hits, but that all changed in 1996. I was at a beach themed bar near us the night before Jimmy's show and asked for contestants to win tickets for the show. I volunteered and they announced a cheesburger eating contest. Whoever could finish four cheeseburgers first while "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was playing would win two reserved seats. I was chomping along and got to my last bite and the guy to my left just finshed...I was that close.

When I got home, there was a message on the answering machine from a friend. His girlfriend had to work and did I want his extra ticket! Fate?

From there I was hooked, the Banana Wind tour. Girls in the parking lot offering to share their beer and organic smoking products if they could borrow some ice from us. Lawn seats and 25,000 crazed fans. I'd never seen anything like it. I went out the next day and bouught SYKBH, Banana Wind and Feeding Frenzy.

I now have over 50 CDs (including live recordings) and can't wait for August 27th in Philly. I've yet to make a road trip around a show, but I might consider Pittsburgh this year, since I'm originally from there. :pirate:
boatdrinkjim
Southeast of disorder

Post by boatdrinkjim »

13 a very lucky number I would say

1st Album (that's right, vinyl) You Had To Be There!

Prior to that, I do remember my father singing lines that I now recognize as JB.
"I think I'll take my shoes off and go walkin'
down beside the Caribbean Sea..."
TikiTom
Fruitcake

Post by TikiTom »

Alan11 wrote:I knew who he was as a kid, but i really didn't get hooked on him until i was 25, my wife and myself were on our honeymoon and walked into tiki jims at myrtle beach, fruitcakes was playing and she started singing i asked her was it jimmy and she said yes. Been hooked ever since :D
I got hooked on JB listening to MMIM almost a year ago in Myrtle Beach, and it's pretty coincidental that you mention Tiki Jim's, because I remember going there and looking for a shirt that mentioned something Buffett on there (it ended up being a Caribbean Sould CILCIA shirt).
Wishin' every month of the year could be June
Parrot Monkey
I Love the Now!

Post by Parrot Monkey »

I can recall being about 3 or 4 years old and remember Volcano (from SYKBH) playing in my family room, and I remember dancing to it. Yes, like most, my family and I begun with SYKBH, and those 13 are the earliest Buffett I can recall. After that we bought everything he came out with, starting with Fruitcakes. After buying MMIM in 2003, I made a decision that I would eventually purchase the whole catalogue, which by February 2004 was in my hands. And I’ll buy them all again once…
karat
Lester Polyester
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Passion Berry
Location: "I’m just hangin’ on while this old world keeps spinning." (It's a freakin' tilt-a-whirl!)

years gone by

Post by karat »

It had to be about 10 years ago, though I have heard of his songs prior.... Since Summer is my favorite time of year - I think he just grew on me. Soung you know by heart was my first...I'm not a huge collector of his recordings but I have my stash.
:wench:
Ilph
Inactive User

Post by Ilph »

19, about six years ago. A girl I wanted to impress was a parrothead, so I decided to check out his stuff. She's not around anymore, but Buffett's music sure is! :D