Maui

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: cold

Maui

Post by Bob Roberts »

I'm heading on my way there on June 26th for my honeymoon! :D 8) We will be there Sunday afternoon through Friday afternoon. What are the must sees and must dos? I have no idea when I may get to go back again if ever, so I'm really wanting to do it all. Please share suggestions and experiences. Thanks!
"The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band."
Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 8

Re: Maui

Post by Gulfbreeze »

Bob Roberts wrote:I'm heading on my way there on June 26th for my honeymoon! :D 8) We will be there Sunday afternoon through Friday afternoon. What are the must sees and must dos? I have no idea when I may get to go back again if ever, so I'm really wanting to do it all. Please share suggestions and experiences. Thanks!
If ya get a chance to run the Trilogy sailing trip to Lanai for snorkeling and lunch...that's a good day right there.

Trilogy
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

although I have yet to witness it, sunrise atop Haleakala is supposed to be spectacular....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Gulfbreeze »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:although I have yet to witness it, sunrise atop Haleakala is supposed to be spectacular....
*side bar conversation* I just read that KPOA FM is soon to start streaming again. They haven't done that in almost 4 years...I love Alaka'i, The Morning Goddess and Boy Kana'e
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:although I have yet to witness it, sunrise atop Haleakala is supposed to be spectacular....
I haven't seen it either, but as I was telling Jen while watching it on GlobeTrekker the other night, it is also COLD. If you're gonna do it, pack accordingly. Did I mention it was COLD? :o :wink:
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Gulfbreeze wrote:*side bar conversation* I just read that KPOA FM is soon to start streaming again. They haven't done that in almost 4 years...I love Alaka'i, The Morning Goddess and Boy Kana'e
WOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

do you listen to 105.1 KINE?

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
I haven't seen it either, but as I was telling Jen while watching it on GlobeTrekker the other night, it is also COLD. If you're gonna do it, pack accordingly. Did I mention it was COLD? :o :wink:
yup, like 30 degrees, or so. :o

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Gulfbreeze »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Gulfbreeze wrote:*side bar conversation* I just read that KPOA FM is soon to start streaming again. They haven't done that in almost 4 years...I love Alaka'i, The Morning Goddess and Boy Kana'e

Yep..it's bookmarked.. :lol:

And alohajoe.com too...
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Gulfbreeze wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

And alohajoe.com too...
WHEN DO WE LEAVE????

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
FFishstick
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by FFishstick »

Dude the bike trip down the Volcano is awesome. They pick you up very early, take you up to Haleakala before most of the tourists get there, you see the most amazing sunrise on the planet, not to mention a clear view of all the stars in God's heaven. Then you climb aboard a disc brake beach/mountain cruiser bike and ride down the mountain. They feed you breakfast at the bottom, in one of several quaint little restaurants. Back to your hotel by 11:00am. Once in a lifetime, don't miss it.
Save water Drink Tequila
Brian & Mikelin

Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Gulfbreeze »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Gulfbreeze wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

And alohajoe.com too...
WHEN DO WE LEAVE????
I'm ready...I'd like to go see my friend in Hawi on the big Island too that used to run this program...but alas, funding, or rather the lack thereof, pretty much 86'd her efforts. I'm sad because a few years ago I was donating all of my bartending tip $ towards the program...but lo and behold, a 3rd party intercepted all my contributions...that rat bastard still p*** me off... :evil: :evil: :evil: Crap...there goes my BP again...

AssistanceDogsHawaii
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
yup, like 30 degrees, or so. :o
See, I said it was COLD! :lol:

Breeze, that sucks about your friend's program...what a loss... :( :cry: :evil: :x
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

Haleakala (sp?) is a must do, even if you don't leave for the sunrise, which you have to get up for at like 2 in the morning. And yes, its somewhat cold, even during the day. Definitely hike down into the crater (its dormant, don't worry :wink: ). But be careful, you hike down first and it will take you about twice as long to hike back up, but well worth it. You may be able to rent horses and go into the crater by horseback.

Although I've never done it, the Road to Hana is supposed to be beautiful. There are a zillion waterfalls, trails, swimming holes to stop at along the way.

Lahaina is great also, there is a CIP in town, although I don't know if its run by Jimmy and Outback's CIP. Have fun, May the Weather be There, and I hope you and your wife are Beautiful :wink: :D (together)

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

Do It!!!! It is worth getting up at 2:00, but PLEASE bring warm clothes! My wife and I had hats, sweatshirts, pants and gloves and were still freezing... if you can stay warm, it will be a sight you will never forget.

Also, The road to Hana is awesome especially if you like to hike and swim in waterfalls (try to find the Blue Pool).

Snorkling and beaches seemed to be better in South Maui...

Have fun!
cheetogyrl
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Marseilles
Favorite Boat Drink: Rumrunner

Post by cheetogyrl »

I love Maui and am on my way back shortly. Here's a couple things I really liked doing:

Maui ATV Tours - Take the 4 hour ride which was totally awesome. They take you up the side of Haleakala stopping at a lava cave on the way up. The place they serve lunch is absolutely amazing (as is the food even though it is deli style). If you decide to go on this, bring shoes you can throw away or leave there and it's worth it to spend the $5 on clothes they have there. Red dirt is a buggah to get out! Beware of the bathroom at one of the rest stops though. You're new wife won't care for that too much! :P www.mauiatvtours.com

Old Lahaina Luau - This luau has the best food out of any luau I've been to. The kalua pig is ono as are the taro rolls. For a different experience, get the seating where you sit on pillows on the ground. Don't forget to get up when they call for the newlyweds! www.oldlahainaluau.com

Road to Hana - It is a beautiful drive but be prepared...it is LONG and will take you all day. You should definitely experience it at least once in your life. Get the narrated CD at the little shack by the gas station where you turn onto the road so you don't miss anything.

Kaulana Cocktail Cruise - If you want something that's not so uppity as a dinner cruise, check this cruise out. They serve good hors d'oeurves and all the drinks you want. By the time the boat pulls back into the harbor, everyone is singing and dancing. We had a lot of fun on it and plan to go back this time. There's a restaurant across from the harbor when you get back that we ate at that served really good fried mahi mahi. I can't remember the name of it right now but it's the green building across the street on the corner.

Maui Eco Adventures (Kayak) - There were some really good points and some REALLY bad points to this. This is out of Makena Landing. You go out in the ocean and swim with dolphins, then go to 2 different locations to snorkel (Fishbowl & The Aquarium), then swim with the turtles. All of that was great BUT it is so windy there that we got way behind everyone else (which I still don't understand because we rowed our a$$es off)! The lunch leaves something to be desired as did our guide but if you really like to snorkel, you might like this. We just happened to go on the coldest, windiest day in May 2 years ago.

That's all I can really think of now. We also went on a hike at the I'ao Needle which was pretty fun. We got lost (after going past the no trespassing signs which don't mean too much there....everyone else does it). We're going to try out the zipline in Haleakala this time so I can give you a report when I get back (we get back on June 11). You may also want to go amazon.com and get the book "Maui Revealed". It's got a lot of info about Maui (hotels, restaurants, secret places to visit, etc).

Good luck and congrats! :D
I am sooooo happy to say that I WILL BE AT MOTM 2010!!!! 5 years in a row!!!!
jonesbeach10
Here We Are

Post by jonesbeach10 »

Oh I forgot, the best snorkeling was in Molokini, right off the coast. Many charters go out there, but it is simply amazing :D

I'm just a one man band,
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

This is good to know! We're going to Maui next June....I'm sooo excited!
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Alexander's Fish Stand. Anything on the menu. In Kehei and Lahaina.

I loved the stage show Ulalena. Tells the complete history of the islands and some very powerful music, especially the drums.

Love "Up Country" and Paia (where the windsurfers look like so many colored butterflies). Willie lives in Paia and has been known to frequent the bars there.

Of course, the Whale's Tail (but I think The Whale Shark and Tatiana are stateside right now).

The Congregational Church at McKenna is awesome.

Big Beach is not to be missed. All the locals go there and it's such fun.

Congratulations and every happiness to you and your bride.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
jonesbeach10
Here We Are

Post by jonesbeach10 »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:Alexander's Fish Stand. Anything on the menu. In Kehei and Lahaina.

I loved the stage show Ulalena. Tells the complete history of the islands and some very powerful music, especially the drums.

Love "Up Country" and Paia (where the windsurfers look like so many colored butterflies). Willie lives in Paia and has been known to frequent the bars there.

Of course, the Whale's Tail (but I think The Whale Shark and Tatiana are stateside right now).

The Congregational Church at McKenna is awesome.

Big Beach is not to be missed. All the locals go there and it's such fun.

Congratulations and every happiness to you and your bride.
And, if you're feeling exotic, little beach is right next door :wink:

I'm just a one man band,
Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Favorite Boat Drink: cold

Post by Bob Roberts »

Do I need to book these activities such as sunset cruises, luas, etc. in advance before we leave?
"The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band."