Maui

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

tryin' to reason
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by tryin' to reason »

Go "up" to Kapaluua for a drink - we saw whales migrating from the shore!!
Bike ride down H is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but be careful!! You get going pretty fast, and there are lots of curves. By the time you realize you're losing it, it's often too late.
Road to Hana is well worth the trip. Some of the nicest tropical scenery anywhere.
I'll be there again in September - on business, no less!!
Life is good!
We'll party just like Bubba does,
We'll do the Old Man proud!
cheetogyrl
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Marseilles
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Rumrunner

Post by cheetogyrl »

Bob Roberts wrote:Do I need to book these activities such as sunset cruises, luas, etc. in advance before we leave?
You can book the activities ahead of time which may save you $$$. But there are also a lot of different deals you can get while you're there so it's really up to you. There are several different sites you can book on: www.hawaiiactivities.com is one. You can google maui and oahu activities which will bring up other options.

The one place you may have trouble getting into if you book while you are there is the Old Lahaina Luau. It fills up pretty quick.
I am sooooo happy to say that I WILL BE AT MOTM 2010!!!! 5 years in a row!!!!
Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: cold

Post by Bob Roberts »

Where are your all's favorite places to eat? What about the nightlife? Any good drinking places with live entertainment?
"The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band."
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

Bob Roberts wrote:Where are your all's favorite places to eat? What about the nightlife? Any good drinking places with live entertainment?
From my experience, much of Maui closes down early (except for maybe in Lahina) so there isn't much of a "night life"... one cool thing I like to do is buy a six pack (or bottle of wine) and sit on a beach at night and watch the sun-set and the stars come-out... now that is some fun "night life".

If you are Kaanapali, they do have a pretty active beach path with resturants and bars at night with some live music... check out the Hula Grill.
hikingontuesday
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by hikingontuesday »

I just got back last week from Maui/Hawaii.

I did my first trip to Hana and I really enjoyed it because we had a fun group of people who were willing to "walk/hike" into the falls, ponds, Red Sand Beach, etc. Leave early -- you don't want to be driving that road in the dark!

We were up at 6:00 a.m. snorkeling each day -- we are all West Coast and Maui is three hours behind us so it was early to bed, early to rise.

Where are you staying? We stay in Kihei next to Wialeia (spell??) and I can recommend some great beaches, snorkeling spots, etc. Also if you are going to dive -- call ScubaShack and ask to dive with Toby.

I second the purchase of Maui Revealed -- great resource!

The Whale's Tale just changed names (can't remember what it is now) in Lahina. But, I always make a trip to Kimo's for their Fish Tacos. We had 12 people there -- 10 had the fish and chips and loved them too.

A few people did the Zip Line up on "H" and enjoyed it too.

Be sure to buy your trinkets and gifts at an ABC store -- half the price of the airport!!!
I wanna go back to the Island...

See you in Boston, September 2nd!
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Bob Roberts wrote:Where are your all's favorite places to eat? What about the nightlife? Any good drinking places with live entertainment?
Alexander's fish and chips are fabulous.

And there is a LuLu's (not our LuLu's, but pretty nice) with an upstairs deck in Kehei. Loved it there for night life.

You're going to have such phun.

Just remember: don't miss a sunset. Not even one. They're all spectacular.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3

Post by Bob Roberts »

We are staying at the Royal Lahaina on Kanapali. It is right beside the Sheraton from what I can tell. When we stay in Honolulu, we are staying in the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki.
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

If its where I think it is, there is a shopping center nearby with Subway, Pizza, etc. that will be good the night you get in.

I don't know your budget, but a great place to eat is the clubhouse @ the Kapalua Plantation Golf Course (site of PGA Mercedes Championship). Its cool seeing everyone ending their afternoon round @ dusk. Reservations required.

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
jimsig
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by jimsig »

hikingontuesday wrote: Be sure to buy your trinkets and gifts at an ABC store -- half the price of the airport!!!
I don't remember seeing those stores in Hawaii. :D :D :D
Jim
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

jimsig wrote:
hikingontuesday wrote: Be sure to buy your trinkets and gifts at an ABC store -- half the price of the airport!!!
I don't remember seeing those stores in Hawaii. :D :D :D
I love ABC stores. There's one right down from the condo we use in Kehei. :D
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
cheetogyrl

Post by cheetogyrl »

Lahaina has great night-life! Cheeseburger in Paradise (not Jimmy's) has live entertainment as does Hard Rock and a bunch of other restaurants. Bubba Gumps is always fun....the Bucket O'Boat Trash is yummy! I'm sure there'll also be a bar at the Royal Lahaina that'll be open until midnight or so. We stay at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel and sit at their Tiki Bar until they close.
I am sooooo happy to say that I WILL BE AT MOTM 2010!!!! 5 years in a row!!!!
CRC Parrothead
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by CRC Parrothead »

Drive the Road to Hana!!!! Do it!! It's beautiful!
Maybe later...
Just trying to get by being quiet and shy!!
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Oh. I forgot. Coolers .... right across the street from CIP (not Jimmy's) in Lahaina...SGH and I ate there after the Maui show and the food was great. Lots of locals at the bar and a big screen TV showing BIG WAVE surfing from all over the world.
Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3

Post by Bob Roberts »

I've booked a couple of activities for Ashley and I in Maui, but I'm having trouble booking a sunset cruise. Nikki (Jeepgirl) is my travel agent, and she is evidentally having trouble getting the one I asked about booked (Kaulana Sunset Cocktail Cruise). Has anybody done any of these that would suggest a good one? Hors devours and unlimited drinks are fine, it doesn't have to be a dinner. Any suggestions?
JohnsonA
I have found me a home

Maui

Post by JohnsonA »

Mamas Fish House in Pa'ia. Honeymoon worthy. Cost nearly what the wedding did but worth it. See Bubba's picture nside.

Skip Haleakela at sunrise. 3:00AM trip at 38 degrees to look down at clouds. Cool to see but 3:00AM to get there?

Feast at Lele luau in Lahaina. Make reserations early and be front center. Great show.

Hana. Spend the night if you can. Get the book Maui revisited. Will tell you much about Hana and Maui.

Day trip to big island. Walk across cooling lava field. Maybe see lava flowing. Don't think big eruption but really cool.
redwinemaker
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by redwinemaker »

Rob

We looked at your wedding album. You are a man your parents should be proud of. Glad Nikki could hepl you out. Your life just about parallels my older sons. WWW
Image Image
Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3

Post by Bob Roberts »

:lol: :lol: :lol: My Eagle Scout picture. That was 6 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for your kind words.
cheetogyrl

Post by cheetogyrl »

Aloha!

Just got back from another awesome trip to the Big Island and Maui!!! A couple things I wanted to tell you about.....

1. If you can get the Kaulana Sunset Cocktail Cruise through Club Lanai....DO IT!!!! We go every time we're there and have a blast! This time there was a new singer who played several Buffett tunes including a great rendition of Margaritaville. We pulled into the dock singing and dancing to it! I love it! And if you're lucky enough to get Sean and Rudy as servers, you'll love 'em (oh, and I can't leave out Joe the bartender). After not being there for 2 years, Sean still remembered us (we leave that kind of impression I guess) :lol:

2. Skyline Eco-Tour Adventures is AWESOME!!!! It's a zipline on Haleakala that is sooooooo much fun! It was truly the highlight of our trip. The last zip is 750 feet and you get going 50-60 mph. AWESOME! If you do this, eat in Kula on the way back down at Kula Sandalwoods Cafe. It's run by a husband & wife. She makes these onion buns that are to die for! Try the Kalua Pork Sandwich....YUM!

3. Cool Cats Cafe has really good burgers. If you're there on a Monday (I think) or Thursday, you can catch The Whaleshark. He was out of town when we were there but the food was really good and they had other entertainment. CCC is on Front Street across from the Banyan Tree.

4. I second the recommendation for Lahaina Coolers. Everything is good there. It's on Dickenson Street.

One last thing.....remember to plan plenty of time to get to your activities and the airport. Lahaina traffic is really bad!!! Some days you can breeze right through...others it's a b*tch! It took us almost 1 1/2 hours to get to the airport on Saturday.

Good luck with your honeymoon!!!! :D
jeepgirl
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 35

Post by jeepgirl »

Bob Roberts wrote:I've booked a couple of activities for Ashley and I in Maui, but I'm having trouble booking a sunset cruise. Nikki (Jeepgirl) is my travel agent, and she is evidentally having trouble getting the one I asked about booked (Kaulana Sunset Cocktail Cruise). Has anybody done any of these that would suggest a good one? Hors devours and unlimited drinks are fine, it doesn't have to be a dinner. Any suggestions?

Hey Bob, you are all confirmed! I sent you an email.
ImageImage
skynzfan
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by skynzfan »

Oh man..Just reading through all this stuff has got the memories flowing! Just take a gander on the left, that sunset is from Ka'anapali beach. Previous poster is right, DON'T miss a single sunset!

Do the bike ride down Haleakala one of your first days there. You're body will still be on a better time schedule.

There is a place called Whalers Village in Ka'anapali. Great food, pretty good shops. The Rusty Harpoon, happy hour starts at 11 pm till close! Can't beat that! Two beach front restaurants, just perfect. Take a walk up (north) the beach to black rock, great place to jump off of! Snorkeling is great right off the beach!

Road to Hana! If you drive vs. a tour bus, spend the night in Hana, otherwise, it can be real long!

I also recommend the purchase of Maui Revealed! They give better spots to stop at along the Road to Hana, not the usual tour bus stops.

Lahaina is a great town! Plenty to do. For shopping, the old courthouse ground has a market on the weekend. Covered ALL of my Christmas shopping there! My g/f loved it too!

Didn't get to play golf unfortunately..next time of course!

I don't know what else to say...other than..it is bar none, paradise.

Enjoy!