Deadliest Catch

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Deadliest Catch

Post by OceanCityGirl »

Is this a cool show or what?
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!
longlinergirl
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by longlinergirl »

My hubby won't watch it,he says I do that every damn day why would I want to watch it on tv...the ones I have seen have been good though.
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.

"Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team..."

Q:"What is with this Parrothead phenomenon"?

A:"Its like AA, but in reverse"
OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by OceanCityGirl »

My father was a fireman and he used to make fun of any show that had firemen on it. Emergency was popular when I was younger.
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!
longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

OceanCityGirl wrote:My father was a fireman and he used to make fun of any show that had firemen on it. Emergency was popular when I was younger.
My mom is a nurse so when she watches some of the shows like ER or whatever she always says now there is no way...lol

El mojito
License to Chill

Re: Deadliest Catch

Post by El mojito »

OceanCityGirl wrote:Is this a cool show or what?
It's a excellent series i also watched it last year. this is the last crab season that they use the derby to catch crab. :(
"Life is just a tire swing" for Sophie
ImageImage
12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

those are some HUGE AZZ crabs
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.
DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Republics & Migration
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Hula Girl

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

I love this show, so does Q.
Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

12vmanRick wrote:those are some HUGE AZZ crabs
Actually those were average crabs......You don't see the huge ones like we did in the 1970's and 1980's or the ocasion "moss back" in the 90's.

I started my commercial fishing career as a crabfisherman....(engineer actually) back when there was not pot limit. We stacked out 600 pots on deck and churned and burned for the whole season. In the show they are catching "Opies" (opilio Crab or Snow crab). The old seasons used to be anywhere from 2 to 3 months long. Now they are 2 to 3 weeks.

As far as the show itself goes.....it is a bit like any "reality" show.....in other words it is a bit "enhanced" for added excitement. The personalities are true to form as is the weather. I personally liked the first show the best, before it was "changed" into the Reality format. Rick and the Fierce Alligence were great in that one.

Yes it is the last of the derby Or "Olympic" style Bering Sea crab fisheries. There are those who lament it and those who are finally dawning on the realization that they will do better in a rationalized fishery. As will the crews and the crab stocks themselves....... We discovered this in the Halibut, black cod fisheries and then in the pollock fishery. The "race" for fish quantity ends and the race for Quality begins. Safety goes up because you don't have to fish in truely shitty weather (the weather in the Bering Sea has 3 states: Shitty, Really Shitty and Holy s***!).

sorry for the rant...... Keep eating wild fish!!!!
Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

it seemed pretty good for the first few times I saw it but now it seems more like a loooong rerun.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Breath in, breath out, move on
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with coconut rum

Post by Sidew13 »

Those guys are crazy :o
Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image
longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
Actually those were average crabs......You don't see the huge ones like we did in the 1970's and 1980's or the ocasion "moss back" in the 90's.

I started my commercial fishing career as a crabfisherman....(engineer actually) back when there was not pot limit. We stacked out 600 pots on deck and churned and burned for the whole season. In the show they are catching "Opies" (opilio Crab or Snow crab). The old seasons used to be anywhere from 2 to 3 months long. Now they are 2 to 3 weeks.

As far as the show itself goes.....it is a bit like any "reality" show.....in other words it is a bit "enhanced" for added excitement. The personalities are true to form as is the weather. I personally liked the first show the best, before it was "changed" into the Reality format. Rick and the Fierce Alligence were great in that one.

Yes it is the last of the derby Or "Olympic" style Bering Sea crab fisheries. There are those who lament it and those who are finally dawning on the realization that they will do better in a rationalized fishery. As will the crews and the crab stocks themselves....... We discovered this in the Halibut, black cod fisheries and then in the pollock fishery. The "race" for fish quantity ends and the race for Quality begins. Safety goes up because you don't have to fish in truely shitty weather (the weather in the Bering Sea has 3 states: Shitty, Really Shitty and Holy s***!).

Did they really close the Elbow Room???

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

longlinergirl wrote:
Dutch Harbor PH wrote:

It's actually worse than that....... Carl's place (local state representitve Carl Moses) was bought by the Alyeska Plant and closed down the bar there. The gals that ran the bar then got together and bought the Elbow room with the idea of expanding it and making it a bigger place. In the mean time they did shut it down.....persumably to clean it up (50 some odd years of spilled beer, liquor and blood takes a while to clean up......)

The good news is that it reopened a week or so ago. They redid the interior and made the bar a bit longer...(which is good as when it was crowded in there it was hard to get a beer.....). They haven't torn it down as yet but thewre are still the plans to expand it.

Did you know that Jimmy Buffett has played in the Elbow Room? Back in the early '90's he came out to Dutch Harbor doing research for "Where's Joe Merchant". He was with Orin Sebret of Pen Air who ownes and flys several Gruman Gooses. Jimmy walked into the bar and sat down and played a bit for the crowd......Unfortunatly by the time My wife and I heard about it there was no room in the bar...we didn't get to see him.....That's why if you ever see us at a concert we have a banner that says "Come Back to the South Bering Sea Islands" with an Alaskan Flag on it...... Jimmy has spotted it several times and shouted out to us and in Maui we were fortunate to have him sign it...!!! (Just gotta like a down to earth guy like that!!!!!)

So maybe next time you're in Dutch, Jimmy will be playing at the newly remodeled Elbow Room!!!!
El mojito
License to Chill

Post by El mojito »

Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
longlinergirl wrote:
Dutch Harbor PH wrote:

It's actually worse than that....... Carl's place (local state representitve Carl Moses) was bought by the Alyeska Plant and closed down the bar there. The gals that ran the bar then got together and bought the Elbow room with the idea of expanding it and making it a bigger place. In the mean time they did shut it down.....persumably to clean it up (50 some odd years of spilled beer, liquor and blood takes a while to clean up......)

The good news is that it reopened a week or so ago. They redid the interior and made the bar a bit longer...(which is good as when it was crowded in there it was hard to get a beer.....). They haven't torn it down as yet but thewre are still the plans to expand it.

Did you know that Jimmy Buffett has played in the Elbow Room? Back in the early '90's he came out to Dutch Harbor doing research for "Where's Joe Merchant". He was with Orin Sebret of Pen Air who ownes and flys several Gruman Gooses. Jimmy walked into the bar and sat down and played a bit for the crowd......Unfortunatly by the time My wife and I heard about it there was no room in the bar...we didn't get to see him.....That's why if you ever see us at a concert we have a banner that says "Come Back to the South Bering Sea Islands" with an Alaskan Flag on it...... Jimmy has spotted it several times and shouted out to us and in Maui we were fortunate to have him sign it...!!! (Just gotta like a down to earth guy like that!!!!!)

So maybe next time you're in Dutch, Jimmy will be playing at the newly remodeled Elbow Room!!!!
Bracket that pic and it will show :P [img].........[/img]
ImageImage
longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

I don't think I'll be making it there any time soon! My hubby worked there for a year (on a halibut longliner) and he won't even fly to Seattle for Thanksgiving with the family because its too close to Dutch...lol. I do have my North Pacific Ship Supply sweatshirt, however, its seen its better days!

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

longlinergirl wrote:I don't think I'll be making it there any time soon! My hubby worked there for a year (on a halibut longliner) and he won't even fly to Seattle for Thanksgiving with the family because its too close to Dutch...lol. I do have my North Pacific Ship Supply sweatshirt, however, its seen its better days!
Let me know if ya need a new one! Though the threadbare, beatup ones look a whole lot more authentic!
El mojito
License to Chill

Post by El mojito »

Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
longlinergirl wrote:I don't think I'll be making it there any time soon! My hubby worked there for a year (on a halibut longliner) and he won't even fly to Seattle for Thanksgiving with the family because its too close to Dutch...lol. I do have my North Pacific Ship Supply sweatshirt, however, its seen its better days!
Let me know if ya need a new one! Though the threadbare, beatup ones look a whole lot more authentic!
Dutch I see that itworked for ya, :P :P
ImageImage
longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
Actually I do need a new one. I took a hook through the sleeve and theres a HUGE hole in it. Let me know how much they are and I will send ya $$$!!! You're awesome! :wink: :lol:

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

longlinergirl wrote:
Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
Actually I do need a new one. I took a hook through the sleeve and theres a HUGE hole in it. Let me know how much they are and I will send ya $$$!!! You're awesome! :wink: :lol:
PM me your size and if you have a color preference (not always avalible in all color/sizes! it is Dutch after all!.....) I will be going up in August (right now recuperating from a heart attack......Hiking at the Alyeska Ski resort I had a little problem......Great folks at the gridwood EMT and the providence hospital took care of me though!!!!
Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

El mojito wrote:
Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
Dutch I see that itworked for ya, :P :P
Yaw mon, it work good! Thanks for the help!!!!!! I wasn't getting the file extension in there.......Duhhhhhh!!!! :roll:

Thanks Again!!!

Do you know the secret to getting more than 1 to show up?
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
Why did he work there? Just for the halibut!!! AHHH!! I KILL myself!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.