Hybrid Suggestions

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

nycparrothead
Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 0

Hybrid Suggestions

Post by nycparrothead »

So.. Anyone got any advice or war stories about a Hybrid?

I'm gonna have to buy a car when we move south and since Steph already has the kick-ass SUV, my only real concern is getting something with good gas mileage to use for work and making long road trips. I was looking at the Toyota Prius. Pretty affordable, averages 44 mpg according to consumer reports... Anybody else got a suggestion for what to get or what to avoid?
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

Thanks for all the help! :P :P :P :roll: :roll: :roll:
NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 106
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

Before you buy one do the math. Many Hybrids cost so much more it would take you years and years to recoup the cost difference in the car.
The Lexus SUV is the best example. Gas would need to cost $23 a gallon or you would need to keep the truck for 10 years just to make up the difference in cost between the hybrid and the regular model.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

NYCPORT wrote:Before you buy one do the math. Many Hybrids cost so much more it would take you years and years to recoup the cost difference in the car.
The Lexus SUV is the best example. Gas would need to cost $23 a gallon or you would need to keep the truck for 10 years just to make up the difference in cost between the hybrid and the regular model.
Okay.. So get me a BMW for under 15K! :wink:
longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

I heard that if you crash em and they have to "jaw of life" you out, that the rescue guys could electrocute themsleves cause of the iwring in the hybrid cars....

sorry thats all I have
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.

"Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team..."

Q:"What is with this Parrothead phenomenon"?

A:"Its like AA, but in reverse"
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

NYCPORT wrote:Before you buy one do the math. Many Hybrids cost so much more it would take you years and years to recoup the cost difference in the car.
this, is just stupid. Kinda like slapping a Caddy badge and price tag on a Silverado/Suburban and calling it an SUV.

The only one of the upscale brand SUVs that is remotely worth the price is the Porsche Cayenne, and even then... is it really necessary to have an SUV that can do 150 mph? :D
NYCPORT

Post by NYCPORT »

nycparrothead wrote:
Is that the total price you want to pay or what you would like to keep your monthly payments under???

Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

NYCPORT wrote:
nycparrothead wrote:
Is that the total price you want to pay or what you would like to keep your monthly payments under???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm thinking I'll have to wait a couple years for the Beemer... :lol:
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

FYI - If you buy a Prius, I will mock you unmercifully as long as I live.
NYCPORT

Post by NYCPORT »

RinglingRingling wrote:
this, is just stupid. Kinda like slapping a Caddy badge and price tag on a Silverado/Suburban and calling it an SUV.

The only one of the upscale brand SUVs that is remotely worth the price is the Porsche Cayenne, and even then... is it really necessary to have an SUV that can do 150 mph? :D
Have you ever driven one?

Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

[/url]
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.

"Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team..."

Q:"What is with this Parrothead phenomenon"?

A:"Its like AA, but in reverse"
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

aren't the cutting out the tax breaks for owning a hybrid as well? I thought I heard that someplace.
mings
Lester Polyester
Location: actually? the Concrete Jungle. Mentally? under a palm tree

Re: Hybrid Suggestions

Post by mings »

Larry David had a Prius in Curb - you can be like him.
"Oh all the money that e'er I spent, I spent it in good company.
And all the harm that I ever did, Alas it was to none but me.
And since it falls, unto my lot, that I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call, 'Goodnight and Joy be with you all.'"
-JMH
sy
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Lage Nom Ai
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Re: Hybrid Suggestions

Post by sy »

The only thing I learned about them (at least the Honda one) when I went to test drive them is that if you try to use the heat or air conditioning and you come to a stop (ie red light or traffic), the heat or air cond. turns off. I don't know if that's true for all the brands/models, but that was kind of a dealbreaker for me, especially since I sometimes sit in traffic in the summer/winter. I kind of like having heat/air.
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all..
sy
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Lage Nom Ai
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by sy »

RAGTOP wrote:aren't the cutting out the tax breaks for owning a hybrid as well? I thought I heard that someplace.
I think I heard that this year is the last year for the tax break. It could change, though.
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all..
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

NYCPORT wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:

Have you ever driven one?
No, nor would I. Certain product lines just draw my derision. Lexus/Mercedes/Cadillac SUVs are show, not work vehicles. and an SUV is a work vehicle in the world I came from.
SuperTrooper
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Blue Hawaii

Post by SuperTrooper »

sy wrote:
RAGTOP wrote:aren't the cutting out the tax breaks for owning a hybrid as well? I thought I heard that someplace.
I think I heard that this year is the last year for the tax break. It could change, though.
Once a manufacturer sells 60,000 hybrids the tax deduction becomes less on a sliding scale. So... if you must buy one now is the time. Unfortunately most Toyota dealers have a WAITING LIST for hybrids.

Your best bet in the long run is to buy a conventional car that gets good mileage. Nobody knows how long the high tech controls will last and repairs will be costly once the warranty runs out.

Google "best mileage cars" for a list and go from there.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

BTW, AAA reported that the cars most likely to be dead on the side of the road is a PRIUS. :o :wink: :pirate:
Grand Exalted Bubba of the Order of the Sleepless Knights
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

SuperTrooper wrote:BTW, AAA reported that the cars most likely to be dead on the side of the road is a PRIUS. :o :wink: :pirate:
Not Found On Road Dead
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I like a good monkey/piggy mix.

Oh...

Not that kind of hybrid...

Good luck monkey man.
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

rednekkPH wrote:FYI - If you buy a Prius, I will mock you unmercifully as long as I live.
And you would be jusitified in doing so.. Another major turnoff to buying a pussy-hybrid... :lol: :lol: