Ticket Brokers - UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 0

Ticket Brokers - UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Catch&Release »

The earlier post about the 6/8/06 Pittsburgh show has me in a frenzy because I'm going to be in Pittsburgh that weekend and it would be a great way to start off the weekend seeing Jimmy the night before the rehearsal dinner! :D

However, it seems like several ticket broker agencies have already gotten their hands on at least a hundred seats. Already they're charging 4-6 times face value.

It looks like the brokers have some sort of deal with the Post Gazette Pavillion that they've gotten tickets well before the show's even been announced.

Jimmy's made efforts to keep tix out of the hands of scalpers. Why do the venues let the brokers get tickets early? The artist gets no benefit from this deal. Why wouldn't the artist get ticked off that seats are being sold under the table to a company that's gouging fans, with no benefit to the artist?

I think it's awful and completely unfair. What do you all think?
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

I think.... I cannot figure out how they can sell tix to a concert not yet announced... which makes me think it is bogus....
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

ToplessRideFL wrote:I think.... I cannot figure out how they can sell tix to a concert not yet announced... which makes me think it is bogus....
probably via agreements they have with people who sell their guaranteed tickets (tickets that become available to holders of Personal Seat Licenses) to the broker. Sell enough of the tickets to shows you don't like to brokers, you can minimize the price of the season ticket, and the cost of the PSL..
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

RinglingRingling wrote: probably via agreements they have with people who sell their guaranteed tickets (tickets that become available to holders of Personal Seat Licenses) to the broker. Sell enough of the tickets to shows you don't like to brokers, you can minimize the price of the season ticket, and the cost of the PSL..
Hmmm good point.....
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII
Calypso Poet 99
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Calypso Poet 99 »

I wouldn't panic just yet. With a little effort I'm sure you will be able to get tickets at face value. If you get shut out when the go onsale to the public, whatch the BN ticket exchange.
Each day is better than the next.

-Woogy
NorthernConch
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by NorthernConch »

we have an advance ticket sale group for the hartford venue. For a small yearly fee you get advance notice and advance ticket purchase for any show.

Maybe thats the deal?

Donated a kidney - 12/7/06
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

Wait, didn't anyone check the schedule? Crying about ticket broker threads are scheduled for mid-March, just after the "Jimmy is a sell-out cuz he's not playing venue x this year" thread, and before the "I go to Great Woods which means I have to cry about something" threads.
Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Catch&Release »

Rednekk,

I know there's a lot of complaining about Jimmy not playing certain venues, brokers, etc, BUT I think it's ridiculous that brokers are already selling tix for shows that haven't even been announced yet.

Somehow, brokers have gotten something very important to all of us - advance tickets and knowledge about a tour date!

I'm a pretty opinionated person and I have a strong feeling about ticket brokers. I think they're leeches, plain n simple...

I will be eagerly sitting at my computer at 10:00 am the moment tix are offered by Ticketmaster for any show I can attend. I wish scalping was illegal in all states...A broker (or anyone for that matter) making a killing on concert tickets just seems wrong.
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

All in jest, C&R...we go through this every year.
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Re: Ticket Brokers - UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RAGTOP »

Catch&Release wrote:The earlier post about the 6/8/06 Pittsburgh show has me in a frenzy because I'm going to be in Pittsburgh that weekend and it would be a great way to start off the weekend seeing Jimmy the night before the rehearsal dinner! :D

However, it seems like several ticket broker agencies have already gotten their hands on at least a hundred seats. Already they're charging 4-6 times face value.

It looks like the brokers have some sort of deal with the Post Gazette Pavillion that they've gotten tickets well before the show's even been announced.

Jimmy's made efforts to keep tix out of the hands of scalpers. Why do the venues let the brokers get tickets early? The artist gets no benefit from this deal. Why wouldn't the artist get ticked off that seats are being sold under the table to a company that's gouging fans, with no benefit to the artist?

I think it's awful and completely unfair. What do you all think?
Just because they are advertising these tickets does not mean they actually have these tickets or will have these tix. If you notice they have just about every section available.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Ticket brokers and scalpers can only stay in business because there are people who are stupid enough to pay their prices. There's no concert or sporting event that I have to go to. There are a lot I want to go to, but only if I can get tickets through normal channels and at normal prices.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

LIPH wrote:Ticket brokers and scalpers can only stay in business because there are people who are stupid enough to pay their prices. There's no concert or sporting event that I have to go to. There are a lot I want to go to, but only if I can get tickets through normal channels and at normal prices.
again because he's a cheap ba$tard :lol:
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

RAGTOP wrote:
LIPH wrote:Ticket brokers and scalpers can only stay in business because there are people who are stupid enough to pay their prices. There's no concert or sporting event that I have to go to. There are a lot I want to go to, but only if I can get tickets through normal channels and at normal prices.
since when is paying face value cheap?
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

RAGTOP wrote:
Guilty as charged :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Mots
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Mots »

I know a lot of times brokers never even aquire the tickets until weeks after they are on sale.

At the Final Four in STL they busted a broker who sold all these people tickets online and told them to meet him his hotel. Well come to find out he never possessed the tickets he promised people.... Needless to say there were quite a few angry Fighting Illini fans :evil:
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Mots wrote:I know a lot of times brokers never even aquire the tickets until weeks after they are on sale.

At the Final Four in STL they busted a broker who sold all these people tickets online and told them to meet him his hotel. Well come to find out he never possessed the tickets he promised people.... Needless to say there were quite a few angry Fighting Illini fans :evil:
OSU/Michigan game this year was something similar.
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

rednekkPH wrote:Wait, didn't anyone check the schedule? Crying about ticket broker threads are scheduled for mid-March, just after the "Jimmy is a sell-out cuz he's not playing venue x this year" thread, and before the "I go to Great Woods which means I have to cry about something" threads.
Settle down Camper.. If you keep this up we're gonna be a week early on the "Why did Auntie lock my thead?" thread... :wink:
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

nycparrothead wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:Wait, didn't anyone check the schedule? Crying about ticket broker threads are scheduled for mid-March, just after the "Jimmy is a sell-out cuz he's not playing venue x this year" thread, and before the "I go to Great Woods which means I have to cry about something" threads.
Settle down Camper.. If you keep this up we're gonna be a week early on the "Why did Auntie lock my thead?" thread... :wink:
Steph let unbox the computer first?
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

Brokers are a reality. Finished!

If you don't like brokers, then don't use them. We have , but prefer to get tickets at face value. Just like everyone else!

The question on the table should be: Do you think that Jimmy knows about this and why doesn't he try to do something about getting The GOOD tickets out of the hands of the brokers and into the hands of his fans?

I know there are some groups that have tried to curtail the brokers business! It can be done if the performer wants it done. Let's face it, Jimmy is such an important draw to venues, that he can just about request ANYTHING and get it!

Do the math......VENUE-A has 5000 seats in the shed!

The performer takes 200 for family and friends.
The Venue takes 1500 for subscribers or PSL holders or whatever they call them.
The sponsors (Corona, radio stations, Margaritaville Tequila, take another 500. etc etc etc.)
Just how long do you think that the remaining seats take to sell, 5 minutes maybe!
Especially, with the web, you can buy from all over the country!

So all thats left are lawn seats. and there might be 15-20 thousand of those! They go because people just want to be there!

Two years ago, a friends son-in-law, who works for the Corona distributor here in northeast Ohio, got 2 tickets to a pre-concert party and the show in the VIP pavillion and didn't want them. He mentioned it at a party at his home and his MIL said "my friends are PARROTHEADS, they'll take them!" So because of a friend, we got to sit about 1/3 back in the pavillion about 15 rows back for free and we got to party too! He could have just as easily, sold them to a broker!

Just remember that $$$$ talks and with enough money you can get anything you want in this world.

I don't like it , you don't like it, but it is the reality of living today!

Just as an aside, we were able to get tickets in the front row once and a seat up front IS WORTH MORE then one in the back.....SUPPLY and DEMAND!

Disclaimer: IN NO WAY IS THIS MEANT TO BE AN ENDORSEMENT OF BROKERS IN ANYWAY. SO PLEASE DON'T FRY US! NOR IS THIS AN ATTACK ON JIMMY EITHER! WE LOVE THE MAN AND HIS MUSIC.
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!
SchoonerWharf
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Delaney Talks To Statues
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Loaded Landshark

Post by SchoonerWharf »

Ticket brokers and scalpers can only stay in business because there are people who are stupid enough to pay their prices. There's no concert or sporting event that I have to go to. There are a lot I want to go to, but only if I can get tickets through normal channels and at normal prices.
Hmmm I guess you don't quite get it. Ticket brokers stay in business because of us that are SMART enough to avoid the lines, avoid the phones and not "hope" we get tickets. I can sit here and know I can be at any show I want and they provide that service. Most people who rail against them are just jealous that some of us can afford to pay that premium.

I couldn't care less.
Spending 24/7 in a Key West state of mind......