Song Stories

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Right Now --> La Vie Dansante (It changes often)
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan & Coke

Song Stories

Post by MrTwain »

I am interested to know if there's a personal story associated with the song "Jamaica Mistaika". Does anyone know the scoop behind that?

Other JB songs with apparent inside stories probably include:</ul><li>Desdemona's Building A Rocket Ship (Who was Desdemona?)</li>
<li>Lage Nom Ai (A fun song. There has to be a story there)</li>
<li>Atou Du Rojer (I know some of this story)</li>
<li>Diamond As Big As The Ritz</li>
<li>He Went to Paris</li>
<li>Remittance Man (I Know This Story, I think)</li>
<li>A Pirate Looks At Forty</li>
</ul>Do you know any other song stories from his lineup?
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Mr Twain....you have some of the craziest posts. If you haven't read A Pirate Looks at Fifty, I would suggest starting there. I know most of the stories behind the songs, but it is a lot more fun discovering them on your own. It's kind of like a treasure hunt. :pirate:
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

The Boy Nobody Knew
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Life is Just a Tire Swing
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Jagerbombs

Re: Song Stories

Post by The Boy Nobody Knew »

MrTwain wrote:I am interested to know if there's a personal story associated with the song "Jamaica Mistaika". Does anyone know the scoop behind that?

Other JB songs with apparent inside stories probably include:</ul><li>Desdemona's Building A Rocket Ship (Who was Desdemona?)</li>
<li>Lage Nom Ai (A fun song. There has to be a story there)</li>
<li>Atou Du Rojer (I know some of this story)</li>
<li>Diamond As Big As The Ritz</li>
<li>He Went to Paris</li>
<li>Remittance Man (I Know This Story, I think)</li>
<li>A Pirate Looks At Forty</li>
</ul>Do you know any other song stories from his lineup?
The song you might want to include in there is Semi-True stories. In which he refers to himself being under attack in his golf shoes. Which goes back to the story of his encounter with Buford Pusser, in which he was getting beaten up for walking on the guys car in his golf shoes.
MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'

Sounds like good advice to me.

Post by MrTwain »

I'll pick it up and start on it right away. Thanks.
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

There's a short explanation of the Jamaica Mistaica 'incident' on the wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Buffett
Image Image
phenwayparrothead
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by phenwayparrothead »

This could take you a lot of reading, but to learn the story of:
Desdamona's building a rocket ship read Joe Merchant (Jimmy Buffett)
Remittance Man read Following the Equator (Mark Twain)
Jamaica Mistaica read Pirate looks at 50 (Jimmy Buffett)
Autour Du Rocher I believe might be in Pirate looks at 50, if not just search these boards, the story is on BN somewhere
Diamond as Big as the Ritz I believe there is actually a sotry with the same title, not sure by whom, and I haven't read it either, but I would assume it came from that as most songs from the Barometer Soup Album were written with Jimmy's favorite books used as inspiration.
Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

phenwayparrothead wrote:Diamond as Big as the Ritz I believe there is actually a sotry with the same title, not sure by whom, and I haven't read it either, but I would assume it came from that as most songs from the Barometer Soup Album were written with Jimmy's favorite books used as inspiration.
That story's in with the lyrics of the song in the CD jacket.
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer
smacky
I have found me a home

Post by smacky »

phenwayparrothead wrote: Diamond as Big as the Ritz I believe there is actually a sotry with the same title, not sure by whom, and I haven't read it either, but I would assume it came from that as most songs from the Barometer Soup Album were written with Jimmy's favorite books used as inspiration.
It's a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The lyrics summarize the story. Guy discovers a diamond "as big as the Ritz" (hotel, so really, really big), builds a mansion in the mountains, and kidnaps visitors so they won't go home and tell the public about it. He ends up battling the army over it.
PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

A Pirate Looks at 40 is the story of Phil Clark, a favorite bartender at the Chartroom Bar in Key West. He was a pirate born 200 years too late. Many legendary stories told about Phil apparently.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

The Boy Nobody Knew wrote:The song you might want to include in there is Semi-True stories. In which he refers to himself being under attack in his golf shoes. Which goes back to the story of his encounter with Buford Pusser, in which he was getting beaten up for walking on the guys car in his golf shoes.
The really funny thing about that tune is that it was actually penned by Mac. In recent years he's really surpassed Bufffet in terms of his current writing and no one is probably more aware of that than Buffett himself.
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

Jahfin wrote:
The Boy Nobody Knew wrote:The song you might want to include in there is Semi-True stories. In which he refers to himself being under attack in his golf shoes. Which goes back to the story of his encounter with Buford Pusser, in which he was getting beaten up for walking on the guys car in his golf shoes.
The really funny thing about that tune is that it was actually penned by Mac. In recent years he's really surpassed Bufffet in terms of his current writing and no one is probably more aware of that than Buffett himself.
Yup. In recent years it seems Mac writes a better Jimmy Buffett song than Jimmy Buffett does.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

rednekkPH wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
Yup. In recent years it seems Mac writes a better Jimmy Buffett song than Jimmy Buffett does.
And Mac is cute and hairy. 8)
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

rednekkPH wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
Though they share a co-writing credit on it, "Coast of Carolina" is another fine example.
bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

buffettbride wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
And Mac is cute and hairy. 8)
cannot tell where his eyebrows begin and his forhead stops.

In the City another one I enjoy Mac singing...Bubba does okay with it but the inspiration is captured by Mac
--------------------------------------------------------
Image There is no place like Cabo in the winter
Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

You can't mention Mac and not It's My Job- that song always gives me goosebumps.

And they share songwriting credit on a lot of songs, new and old. I kind of wonder if Mac hasn't always written a better Buffett song than Buffett.
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Coconuts wrote:And they share songwriting credit on a lot of songs, new and old. I kind of wonder if Mac hasn't always written a better Buffett song than Buffett.
Personally I wouldn't go that far, particularly in regards to Buffett's 70s material.
MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by MrTwain »

I kind of wonder if Mac hasn't always written a better Buffett song than Buffett.
I would definitely say no. Face it. Buffett's forte' is writing songs. Like many other great songwriters (Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Jerry Jeff Walker and others), Buffett's vocal ability is about average with other campfire guitar pickers (like myself). But his ability to write a song, then sing it how he wants his audience to hear it is genius. Mac will never have Buffett's wit, snap or his ability to work a crowd. That's what sets him apart, I think.
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

phenwayparrothead wrote:This could take you a lot of reading, but to learn the story of:
Desdamona's building a rocket ship read Joe Merchant (Jimmy Buffett)
Remittance Man read Following the Equator (Mark Twain)
Jamaica Mistaica read Pirate looks at 50 (Jimmy Buffett)
Autour Du Rocher I believe might be in Pirate looks at 50, if not just search these boards, the story is on BN somewhere
Diamond as Big as the Ritz I believe there is actually a sotry with the same title, not sure by whom, and I haven't read it either, but I would assume it came from that as most songs from the Barometer Soup Album were written with Jimmy's favorite books used as inspiration.
The cliff notes for the "Remittance Man" story is also available in the Barometer Soup liner notes. But Following the Equator is a great book. :D
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

MrTwain wrote: Mac will never have Buffett's wit, snap or his ability to work a crowd.
I won't dignify that with a response.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

PA PAR8 HED wrote:A Pirate Looks at 40 is the story of Phil Clark, a favorite bartender at the Chartroom Bar in Key West. He was a pirate born 200 years too late. Many legendary stories told about Phil apparently.
Not according to Moonie. She claimed vehemently that the song is about Jimmy...