Contact Lens Wearers--Beware!

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos
Number of Concerts: 0

Contact Lens Wearers--Beware!

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

Yikes.....caught the tail end of this story on the NBC Nightly News and had to go hunting for the full story.

I *just* bought 2 travel sized bottles of this stuff to take to Irvine..glad I didn't try it yet. :o :-? It is the B&L Renu MoistureLoc solution, the bottles look like this:
Contact lens solution eyed in fungus outbreak
Bausch & Lomb product linked to infection that can cause blindness

Updated: 6:56 p.m. ET April 10, 2006
WASHINGTON - Bausch & Lomb voluntarily suspended shipment of a contact lens solution after federal health officials linked it Monday to a fungal eye infection that can cause temporary blindness.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 109 reports of Fusarium keratitis infection in patients in 17 states since June 2005.

Federal and state health officials have interviewed just 30 of those patients. However, of the 28 who wore soft contact lens, 26 reported using Bausch & Lomb’s ReNu brand contact lens solution or a generic type of solution also made by the Rochester, N.Y., company.
The full article is here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12257519

Apparently they are suspending new shipments but it doesn't say anything about what to do if you already bought the stuff. :roll: Think Target will give me my two bucks back? :lol:
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

:o :-? Well, yuck.

One of the times I'm glad I can't/don't want to wear contacts. :)
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

EGADS! :o
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

btt
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
cocotel
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 21

B&L

Post by cocotel »

Thanks for the info. My wife is (was) using this solution.
smacky
I have found me a home

Post by smacky »

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 109 reports of Fusarium keratitis infection in patients in 17 states since June 2005."

Nice of them to wait 10 months. Guess a lot of those 109 cases happened recently.
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

Christine uses this stuff every day. I just saw the story on GMA.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

smacky wrote:"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 109 reports of Fusarium keratitis infection in patients in 17 states since June 2005."

Nice of them to wait 10 months. Guess a lot of those 109 cases happened recently.
This product was pulled off the shelves in Singapore and Hong Kong in February, according to news reports. It *totally* p*** me off that we aren't hearing about this until now..... :evil:

They've only interviewed 30 people so far, but 26 of the 28 who wore soft contacts were using this product. We should have heard about this earlier.

Yes, I was using this stuff, and it scares the crap out of me that someone knew there was a problem that could have permanently affected my vision, and did nothing about it.......

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Moonie
User banned 30 days

Post by Moonie »

I've been uisng it, for a long time, but last time bought the house brand, just checked to make sure it wasn't manufactured by B&L. It's been a couple of months since I used ReNu, glad I was short of cash and bought the cheap stuff...

When it goes from full to crescent...I move in and out of tune...Everlasting Moon.... Image
LaTda
Inactive User

Post by LaTda »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
smacky wrote:"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 109 reports of Fusarium keratitis infection in patients in 17 states since June 2005."

This product was pulled off the shelves in Singapore and Hong Kong in February, according to news reports. It *totally* p*** me off that we aren't hearing about this until now..... :evil:

They've only interviewed 30 people so far, but 26 of the 28 who wore soft contacts were using this product. We should have heard about this earlier.

Yes, I was using this stuff, and it scares the crap out of me that someone knew there was a problem that could have permanently affected my vision, and did nothing about it.......
didn't it say "temporary blindness" ?
Sittin on the dock of the bay
Prthd119
Diamond as Big as The Ritz

Post by Prthd119 »

I bought it about a month ago..and have been using it...thank Katrinka!

Back to the Opti Free.....Dang.... :roll:

"I know it's a shabby old building but after all ain't we God's children
And Lord it's a good place for hangin' out .."
NYCsharkling
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane, Margarita, Beer...

Post by NYCsharkling »

YIKES!!!

I use opti-free
ImageImageImage
THEY CALL ME SHRINKY....ITS A LONG STORY.....
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

LaTda wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

didn't it say "temporary blindness" ?
At least a handful of people have required cornea transplants, because the scar tissue from the infection left them blind.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
PartofthePhlock
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the day and time.
Number of Concerts: 67

Post by PartofthePhlock »

ohhhh NO! my eyes, my eyes.

Serously, thanks for the heads up, BEG. I just bought some my self, glad I didn't open it yet.
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

I'm glad I took the time to look up the story and post it...seems like B&L isn't taking this as seriously as they should. I hope all of you that were using it are okay...it might be worth making an eye appointement just to make sure.

Eye infections are serious business...take it from someone who's had one. :-?
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

crap :evil:

My son and I both use this stuff!!!!! :o
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

BTT again...it's getting a lot more airplay now. :-?
markruble
I need two more boat drinks

Post by markruble »

Thanks for the info. I use another brand, never used this that I know of.
No quarter given!
HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

Thanks for the info...

I use to use ReNu over 10 yrs ago..

I've been having a lot of trouble with my eyes off and on for the past week.. a girl at work told me about this earlier tonight.. since I've had what seemed like an infection but it cleared up for a few days.. I almost missed work last Thursday night because I looked stoned my eyes were so red, so we were afraid I had pink eye! I felt like it was attributed to my allergies since the island is in bloom.. after a couple days of going back on Zyrtec and using "clear eyes" for allergies and sleeping with my contacts out, it cleared up.. felt fine so I stopped taking the zyrtec - then last night they started feeling dry again and my sinuses started acting up again.. tonight my right eye is red again but if I take the contact out for several minutes and use the clear eyes solution then it clears right up.. plus the eye that gives trouble tends to follow the sinus cavity with the most congestion.. so it all seems relational..

I also use the opti free solutions, when I do actually store my lenses overnight, and rewetting drops to get through allergy season... it's made by Alcon out of Ft. Worth, TX... Hearing this story made me concerned maybe it was the new lot of lenses I've been using that my folks brought to me a couple weeks ago.. I wear O2 Optics gas permeable lenses.. apparently there made by Novartis/CibaVision out of Duluth, GA... so I assume they are not stored and shipped in Bausch and Lomb solutions...
I assume it all to be allergies since over the counter solutions clear up the problems and I tend to have trouble this time of year...
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Every Stripper Deserves A DJ
There's gotta be a girl drunk enough in this town
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
I Make Her What?? :o
2am, Jack Flats, I Lost Cuervo!!
The Curse..
jimolliemom
I Love the Now!

Post by jimolliemom »

About an hour after reading this last night and freaking out because that's the brand I use and NO ONE had warned the general public, I saw it on the evening news....4 cases in my area (Memphis!) How nice of them to let this go.... :roll:
"Mommy, when is Jimmy Buffett coming to OUR house? We go see him ALL THE TIME??" (Actual quote from my 5 y/o keet)