Ziggy Marley (new cd)

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Ziggy Marley (new cd)

Post by sonofabeach »

Just picked this up today at Target for $9.99 and it's really good.
The packaging said it's only available at Target but I'm sure it's more of a sneak preview/pre release.
There's quite a few upbeat songs on it. I highly recommend it (if that means anything :lol: )
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
meisinger
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by meisinger »

You're right. It is a very good CD. Actually though, it will only be available at Target.

Target Stores to be Exclusive Distributor for Ziggy Marley's Second Solo Album, Love is My Religion
Tuesday, May 30
Los Angeles, CA (May X, 2006) - Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Ziggy Marley today announced that he has entered into an agreement with Target, which will be the exclusive U.S. retailer of his second solo CD, Love Is My Religion, on Tuff Gong Worldwide Records, scheduled for release on July 4, 2006. This deal is a first for both parties, marking the first time Ziggy has ever released an independent album without using the traditional major label infrastructure, and the first time that Target will act as the sole U.S. retailer for a major recording artist.

This direct relationship between Marley and Target will allow the album to be offered at the low price of $9.99 to Target guests. "One of my father’s goals was to release an album independently. His plan was to do that after the release of his final album on a major label - unfortunately, he never had the chance," shared Ziggy. "This album and the way it is being sold is important to me in honoring my father’s spirit. I am excited to be a part of this new relationship with Target."

"The innovative structure allows for a win/win situation for the artist and consumer, it is financially advantageous for both," stated Nancy Jeffries, Bob Marley Music, Inc.

"In addition to touching the world with his own music, Ziggy Marley continues to give life to the legacy of his father, Bob Marley, by carrying on the genre of reggae music," said Darrell Tucker, vice president, merchandising, Target. "We are excited to bring this powerful collection of music exclusively to Target guests."

With Ziggy as the album’s songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer (three tracks were co-produced by Grammy winner Ross Hogarth), the title track will be its first single, to debut on June 5th.

Love Is My Religion expands upon the personal, social and political themes explored in his debut CD, Dragonfly, peppering a reggae core with African percussion and other flavors. Its tracks include the subversively danceable "Into the Groove," the political "Be Free" (which attacks the manipulating power of fear) and "Love Is My Religion" (a message Ziggy says that "people need to hear," a unifying devotion to love that "needs to be preached in churches and mosque and synagogues"). The album closes with a stripped-down acoustic guitar version of "Love Is My Religion" and a bass-heavy, trip-hop mix of "Be Free."

Ziggy Marley’s early immersion in music came at age ten when he sat in on recording sessions with his father. He later joined his siblings to front The Melody Makers, whose eight best-selling albums generated such chart-topping hits as "Tomorrow People" and "Tumbling Down." Ziggy’s solo debut, Dragonfly, was released in 2003 and featured such artists as Flea and John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Mike Einziger and DJ Kilmore (Incubus). For more information on Ziggy Marley, please log on to www.ziggymarley.com.

About Target

Minneapolis-based Target serves guests at 1,418 stores in 47 states nationwide by delivering today’s best retail trends at affordable prices. Target is committed to providing guests with great design through innovative products, in-store experiences and community partnerships. Whether visiting a Target store or shopping online at Target.com, guests enjoy a fun and convenient shopping experience with access to thousands of unique and highly differentiated items. Target (NYSE:TGT) gives back more than $2 million a week to its local communities through grants and special programs. Since opening its first store in 1962, Target has partnered with nonprofit organizations, guests and team members to help meet community needs.
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Marley and Target? Something about that just doesn't seem right.

However, I have heard a cut from Ziggy's new record, which I liked.
PirateJohn
I need two more boat drinks

Post by PirateJohn »

Jahfin wrote:Marley and Target? Something about that just doesn't seem right.

However, I have heard a cut from Ziggy's new record, which I liked.

Without getting my neck in the proverbial noose, let's just say that I've done bizness with the management of several of the Marley companies and you'd be surprised because they (him? her? it?) are older, conservative non-ethnic folk that keep a low profile. With that said and done, they/him/her/it seem to have an excellent feel for the business and the specific customer demand and the t-shirts that they have given me are excellent, both in quality and content. They/him/her/it surprised me at first, but seem to be very capable guardians of all things related to the Marley family.

Anywho, somehow I suspect that this "exclusive deal with Target" is part of the same management.

One hint: I'm a big fan of Ziggy but the word that I hear is that Ziggy's brothers Julian and Damien are selling as well as Ziggy is these days and their music is pretty hot. Not quite sure where Stephan Marley fits in these days but he was one of the original Melody Makers. If you get a chance, listen to the music of all three sons, particularly Damien.
Support Riding Into History, the legendary vintage motorcycle show and fund raiser for breast cancer charities -- www.RidingIntoHistory.com
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I have no doubt that all of those things are true it just seems strange that the very anti-establishment Marley name is now in bed with a corporate behemoth such as Target. Sorta like Buffett hawking tiki bars for Sam's Club.

I'm quite familiar with the Melody Makers and Stephen in particular as he is one that first struck me as having the talent to match up to the promise of his father. However, I've remained largely unimpressed with the majority of what I've heard from the Melody Makers over the years as it had more in common with what I call "bubblegum" reggae than the rootsy stuff Bob Marley recorded. Perhaps as they all mature they will grow into the long shadow left by Bob. I like some of what I've heard by his sons (of which Bob had many) but the hip-hop/rap influenced stuff has just not been my bowl of ganja.
PirateJohn
I need two more boat drinks

Post by PirateJohn »

Jahfin wrote: it just seems strange that the very anti-establishment Marley name is now in bed with a corporate behemoth such as Target..

And being run by folks that have a novel in print that, while fictional, warms of the evils of all things liberal.

I know, it's a weird world. I will have to say that my contacts are nice folk -- just not at all what you'd expect from folks running some of the affairs of the Marleys. I was kinda shocked, to be honest, because I met them through other business dealings, but when I saw that email address I thought "what the???? ... " :wink:
Support Riding Into History, the legendary vintage motorcycle show and fund raiser for breast cancer charities -- www.RidingIntoHistory.com