A Big Gripe

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

blowinupinmissoula
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by blowinupinmissoula »

12vmanRick wrote:wow BN has become the "b**** at Jimmy zone"

again this applies.. shut the f*** up if you don't like it, many people drive hours and hours or fly wherever it takes to see Jimmy and pay whatever he asks and if you aren't willing, GREAT, we'll buy your seat but again just shut the f*** up.
to clarify im not p*** at jimmy, in fact im not p***. growing up in the NW i never really expected to see him much, all im saying is that i agree that a little show diversity couldnt hurt. im suprised how hostile this is getting, some need to simply grow up and calm down(12vmanRick :wink: ) to the lucky few who get to go enjoy the shows
! maybe before he stops touring JB will get up here-until then ill be sailing round the puget sound... :P
If I had it all to do over again, I'd just get myself drunk and I'd jump right back in...
12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

blowinupinmissoula wrote:

again this applies.. shut the f*** up if you don't like it, many people drive hours and hours or fly wherever it takes to see Jimmy and pay whatever he asks and if you aren't willing, GREAT, we'll buy your seat but again just shut the f*** up.
to clarify im not p*** at jimmy, in fact im not p***. growing up in the NW i never really expected to see him much, all im saying is that i agree that a little show diversity couldnt hurt. im suprised how hostile this is getting, some need to simply grow up and calm down(12vmanRick :wink: ) to the lucky few who get to go enjoy the shows
! maybe before he stops touring JB will get up here-until then ill be sailing round the puget sound... :P
oh I am calm, I just have the rum in me which makes me less tolerable of ignorance and more apt to say what's on my mind.. um.. ok people that know me, I know I don't need any alcohol to do that, get off me ok :D
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

12vmanRick wrote:oh I am calm, I just have the rum in me which makes me less tolerable of ignorance and more apt to say what's on my mind.. um.. ok people that know me, I know I don't need any alcohol to do that, get off me ok :D
I was gonna say ... :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
blowinupinmissoula

12vmanRick wrote:

oh I am calm, I just have the rum in me which makes me less tolerable of ignorance and more apt to say what's on my mind.. um.. ok people that know me, I know I don't need any alcohol to do that, get off me ok :D
haha-i know exactly what you mean. ive got a bottle of mount gay im staring at, contemplating the possibilities of the night...enjoy the rum :D
If I had it all to do over again, I'd just get myself drunk and I'd jump right back in...
z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

blowinupinmissoula wrote: haha-i know exactly what you mean. ive got a bottle of mount gay im staring at, contemplating the possibilities of the night...enjoy the rum :D
Mmmmm...

Mount Gay

Mount Gay Extra Old is mighty good Rum!
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
LIPH wrote:He likes us better.
Jimmy spends alot of time out here in Nantucket and the Vineyard. Alot. Look at half the letters he writes fan like in Salty Piece of Land or the current Coconut Telegraph . . . he signs them from the Vineyard or Cape Cod or Nantucket or off the coast of Maine. He knows the people here. We know him. There is a great sailing and beach culture out here. So, yeah, hate to say it - but he does like us better. Move.
seems like the typical smug east coaster comment to me. i can understand the sailing and beach culture, but the other coast has one just as strong. also its not hustle bustle out in the west, much more island time. i think you make a good point, it just seems like a pretty childish way of putting it. i think its remarks like these that keep me AWAY from the eastern part of the country :roll:
A comment on a Jimmy Buffett web page keeps you away from the East. I feel powerful . . . earlier I was feeling sarcastic.

Jimmy started spending summers in Massachuesetts in the early 80's late 70's. He has been up here for close to 3 decades. I was barely alive when he started to explore these waters. Because he is a rich powerful man he chooses to play here more for numerous reasons - but it is HIS choice. No one elses. He could perform in a random place like Boise (HMMMMM) and sell out. He could perform Helena Montana in a field and sell out.

He likes it here. Apparently us Easterners are not too smug for Jimmy. Come out to the Labor Day weekend show and enjoy. We are lucky to have him. We know it.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
blowinupinmissoula

drunkpirate66 wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Jimmy spends alot of time out here in Nantucket and the Vineyard. Alot. Look at half the letters he writes fan like in Salty Piece of Land or the current Coconut Telegraph . . . he signs them from the Vineyard or Cape Cod or Nantucket or off the coast of Maine. He knows the people here. We know him. There is a great sailing and beach culture out here. So, yeah, hate to say it - but he does like us better. Move.
seems like the typical smug east coaster comment to me. i can understand the sailing and beach culture, but the other coast has one just as strong. also its not hustle bustle out in the west, much more island time. i think you make a good point, it just seems like a pretty childish way of putting it. i think its remarks like these that keep me AWAY from the eastern part of the country :roll:
A comment on a Jimmy Buffett web page keeps you away from the East. I feel powerful . . . earlier I was feeling sarcastic.

Jimmy started spending summers in Massachuesetts in the early 80's late 70's. He has been up here for close to 3 decades. I was barely alive when he started to explore these waters. Because he is a rich powerful man he chooses to play here more for numerous reasons - but it is HIS choice. No one elses. He could perform in a random place like Boise (HMMMMM) and sell out. He could perform Helena Montana in a field and sell out.

He likes it here. Apparently us Easterners are not too smug for Jimmy. Come out to the Labor Day weekend show and enjoy. We are lucky to have him. We know it.
so if you read what i said above you would know i agree with you. im not mad at JB for not coming out west that much, all im saying is that i would love it if he came out a little more. im glad you can enjoy him in your neighborhood-good for you, once i get a bit of money i may be able to see him on a yearly basis, hopefully by then he is still touring :-? but until then ill settle for a boat, some good beer and open water w/ JB on speakers. enjoy the shows...
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

parrothead216 wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Spinniker wrote:We DON'T have a sailing culture in the NorthWest ?
sure you do, but for whatever reason, JB seems to prefer to spend much of his summertime in the Northeast. nothing more than personal preference on his part, I figure....
Does anyone think that maybe Jane is in around Manhattan and LI in the warm weather months.

Just a thought. Of course, I never see them photographed together!

Just maybe an occassional Charity Benefit!
Apparently, Jane prefers to stay "behind the scenes" re. Jimmy's career and celebrity.

Good or bad and for the Buffett's to decide, it appears they are just generally East Coasters; that's where they've chosen to have their primary homes. I believe Jimmy spends more time touring there because that's where the people are. There may be some personal timing to the tour stops (e.g. Nantucket time around late-summer, Chicago to catch a Cubs game), but I'd guess he generally goes where the fans are.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

This post is about the whiniest one I've seen. And it's not about JB in a JB discussion forum (positive or negative), it's about bashing other people here. :roll: :roll: :-?

Everyone here can get "in a mood," but thankfully very few choose to take it out on others....
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
HTparrothead
Southeast of disorder

Post by HTparrothead »

not to mention everywhere he plays in the south is closed except the places in Florida
.. ie Nashville and Atlanta (the only 2)
Fall semester in a Southern college town has little to do with studying and more to do with football and fraternity rush. I didn't know much about the football team. Hell at that time I was really an Ole Miss fan and to this day I still cant figure out why I didn’t enroll at the U of Mississippi-JB
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

Quiet and Shy wrote:
parrothead216 wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Spinniker wrote:We DON'T have a sailing culture in the NorthWest ?
sure you do, but for whatever reason, JB seems to prefer to spend much of his summertime in the Northeast. nothing more than personal preference on his part, I figure....
Does anyone think that maybe Jane is in around Manhattan and LI in the warm weather months.

Just a thought. Of course, I never see them photographed together!

Just maybe an occassional Charity Benefit!
Apparently, Jane prefers to stay "behind the scenes" re. Jimmy's career and celebrity.

Good or bad and for the Buffett's to decide, it appears they are just generally East Coasters; that's where they've chosen to have their primary homes. I believe Jimmy spends more time touring there because that's where the people are. There may be some personal timing to the tour stops (e.g. Nantucket time around late-summer, Chicago to catch a Cubs game), but I'd guess he generally goes where the fans are.
Alison, I wasn't making anything other then an observation!

Maybe Jane is just the little woman, keeping the home fires going while Jimmy is out working! I don't think that is the case! But maybe!

As for that's where the people are, I think he has fans all over the country! The midwest is where his career started. Like Cinci, He sold out 4or 5 shows there back in the 90's I think!

I think Jimmy likes certain areas of the country and the world. At this time in his very successful career, he is basically doing what he wants!

Knowing his fans CAN and will come to him $$$$$$!!!
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

Down around Biloxi wrote:I beg to differ, television markets are based on population..

The Top 10 Television Markets

Rank Market TV Homes % Cov. LPM Date
1. New York 7,282,320 6.829 2004

2. Los Angeles 5,318,040 4.987 2004

3. Chicago 3,351,330 3.143 2004

4. Philadelphia 2,830,470 2.654 2005

5. San Francisco 2,436,220 2.284 2004

6. Boston 2,353,500 2.207 2002

7. Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,195,540 2.059 2005

8. Washington, DC 2,169,230 2.034 2005

9. Atlanta 1,971,180 1.848 2006

10. Detroit 1,899,910 1.782 2005

For out of ten on the east coast!
1) the tv markets aren't based on population. from a buddy who was the news director at one of our local tv stations....

PHX is the 5th largest city population wise and only the 18th largest tv market.

2) jimmy has zero input as to where CIPs are opened. he sold his interest in CIPs and now just cashes the licensing fee checks he collects.

3) mvilles are both contractully limited as to where they can open and he is deliberately keeping the chain small.

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson
MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Right Now --> La Vie Dansante (It changes often)
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan & Coke

Post by MrTwain »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:

It's interesting to see how many cities and places "claim" Jimmy as one of their own, isn't it?

Mobile, AL
Daphne and Fairhope, AL
Southeastern Mississippi
New Orleans
Key West
Long Island
... any others?
There's no Dumbass Vaccine
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

There are THAT many CIPs? WTF!!?? That's completely out of control.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Um, if you all were worth 1/10 of what Jimmy is worth would you do anything but what you wanted? Agreed. New England and Long Island it is.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Triathlete-Parakeet2
Gypsies in the palace

Post by Triathlete-Parakeet2 »

Obviously, he play were the people are. even though he is from the south, and his songs revolve around it, he rarely plays there. Look how few shows have been played in Misssisipis and Alabama, or Louisiana. Even the east coast below Nj only gets one, maybe two shows (not counting FLA). There simply are not enough people to make it worth his while down here. He plays 6 shows with in a 150 mile radious in NE, NJ and NY.
Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

Doesn't he say, "It's so nice to be home in Florida again..."

He also says, "It's nice to be in Wrigley Field; It's nice to be in Fenway; nice to be in Aspen.....

But he only says HOME to one place!!!!!!
Triathlete-Parakeet2
Gypsies in the palace

Post by Triathlete-Parakeet2 »

well, florida also has the highest population of any south eastern states up untill NY. Even though i said what i did in the previous post, i wonder if he really thinks that he wont sell out in those places. Maybe its just because he doesnt want to do to many shows, and he wants to play to as many folks as he can.
z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

Migration Michelle wrote:Doesn't he say, "It's so nice to be home in Florida again..."

He also says, "It's nice to be in Wrigley Field; It's nice to be in Fenway; nice to be in Aspen.....

But he only says HOME to one place!!!!!!
I'm happy as long as he is on stage and I am in the crowd or listening on RM! :D
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

Marnin Grita Guy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Re: A Big Gripe

Post by Marnin Grita Guy »

TTS wrote:I don't understand why Jimmy plays so many shows in the Northeast and leaves most of the rest of us lucky if we get one show withing a 300 mile radius. Last year alone in the span of less than 90 days he player 5 shows in the NE, Jones Beach, Mohegan Sun, 2 at Great Woods and 1 at MSG. This year he is playing 2 in Foxboro at a 65,000 seat stadium and you just know that the week off between the two shows he will add a Mohegan Sun or Jones Beach show. I know the argument that he says most of the parrotheads are in the northeast but if that is tru why hasn't he opened ONE Margaritaville or Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant?

He is isolating his fan base in other parts of the country by catering to the NE!

Simple, he knows I am poor and would have difficulty getting to the

Northeast for concerts.

The way to mend this is for people with money to pay for me to go to all

the shows in the Northeast. I will see Charleston at each show and tell

him I have moved North to see more shows.

The following year he will be doing way fewer shows in the Northeast.

If you act now this could be possible for next year!

:D

8) :lol: :lol: