My Advice to the Moderators

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Couganata
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

My Advice to the Moderators

Post by Couganata »

Hello,

I lurk on here everyday about 20 times a day. It gets me away from my work, so I enjoy the break. However, I can not stay up to date with all the threads, etc.

Therefore, when I see a new post I look at it. If the thread has beyond 2 pages and it has been around for more than a few days, I don't bother reading it. A thread with 30+ pages has to much history for me to catch up on.

I appreciate when someone posts a new topic even if it has been brought up on page 29 of another thread. Constantly these threads are locked out and redirected to some long thread that I don't have the time to read.

Is there not a way to limit threads to several pages, or start threads over when they get to so many... An example of this today came with the MOTM thread. The thread brought up the CR band not being there. I had no idea. I don't have time to go through all the threads etc. I am glad the person brought it up but it was quickly killed by a mod.

Often the threads get onto new subjects and loose the puropose of the orginal thread and a new thread would be better then page 37 of a thread.

Just wanted to voice my opinion that the general discussion should post all new things, bands, social, jimmy and after 2 pages or so they can be shifted into a new section.

What does everyone else think?

Cougs
We made it!
Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

Not sure if I'm reading you right, but why would you want numerous short threads instead of re-directing redundant threads to an existing thread on a particular topic where all information on that topic could be contained in one place?

Remember, the search function is your friend. :wink:
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog
Couganata

Post by Couganata »

But, the search function is only affective if I know what I am looking for. I never thought about the CRB not at MOTM until I saw it in the discussion area. I never thought to look what the latest development was on MOTM and wouldnt start reading through the MOTM post.

Maybe threads over 3 pages should have the mod put a summary together?
We made it!
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

You don't have the time to read a long thread but you expect someone else to take the time to summarize it for you? :roll:
Time to self-censor before I get banned.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

Nice summary, Larry. :lol:
Image Image
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Not a bad suggestion, but I prefer the info be contained in 1 long thread so it's all-inclusive. If you're looking for something, you know where to find it. You may have to read 30 pages, as we all do, but at least you're likely to find it. You could always jump in and ask a specific question, and someone keeping up with the thread should be able to answer or summarize for you.

If there were 30 different threads on the same topic, you'd be searching and digging forever trying to figure out which one had the info you might be looking for.

And if it's info you don't know you're looking for, all you can do is read as much as you can and hope you stumble upon it. Also, if it's related to Jimmy Buffett and noteworthy, glancing through the News forum is likely to make it easy to find.

Mods summarizing threads over 3 pages?? :lol: :lol: No offense by laughing, but there's just not enough time in the day! :D

Good luck, and enjoy!
Last edited by Tiki Bar on May 10, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

And I'm not even a moderator.
KeetAtHeart

Post by KeetAtHeart »

I agree that it's not practical to summarize long threads, but I also see Coug's point that people miss out on important topics when they're buried in long threads.

I wonder if people who find themselves in a long conversation could suggest, within the thread, that it might be worth starting a new topic? The first post of the new topic could refer back to the original thread for the "back story," and then continue the discussion under the new, more relevent subject line.

Just a thought... :wink:

Tina
z-man
Here We Are

Re: My Advice to the Moderators

Post by z-man »

Couganata wrote:Hello,

I lurk on here everyday about 20 times a day. It gets me away from my work, so I enjoy the break. However, I can not stay up to date with all the threads, etc.

Just wanted to voice my opinion that the general discussion should post all new things, bands, social, jimmy and after 2 pages or so they can be shifted into a new section.

Cougs
Are you using the "latest posts" choice in the menu list?

If you are checking in fairly often, using "latest posts" makes it easy to see only the latest information in each thread. With the exception of the daily MSC thread, there are rarely more than a few pages of new posts in any particular thread in a given day; and "latest posts" works well for finding them.
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

Be nice if the SEARCH function could tell you what page(s) in a thread the results of your search could be found, instead of just the thread name, but I get a headache thinking about the program code that would required to provide that. And I do this for a living.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I think it would be helpful to have the ability to jump to a middle page in the member list. With 740 pages, if you're looking for someone in the middle of the alphabet you're going to be there a while since clicking next page repeatedly will only get you there so fast.

Not really on topic with the summary thing, but is is a suggestion for the mods so I'm not way off.

And I agree with Surfpirate!!! It would be great if it could direct you to the specific page instead of just the topic.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

FunkHouse9 wrote:I think it would be helpful to have the ability to jump to a middle page in the member list. With 740 pages, if you're looking for someone in the middle of the alphabet you're going to be there a while since clicking next page repeatedly will only get you there so fast.

Not really on topic with the summary thing, but is is a suggestion for the mods so I'm not way off.

And I agree with Surfpirate!!! It would be great if it could direct you to the specific page instead of just the topic.
I agree that it would be great to be able to go page "x" of a thread...in fact us moderators recently suggested this enhancement to Jim, and he's checking on it. We had it on a previous incarnation of the board and it was great.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Just an FYI - the Mods don't have the ability to make changes to the website itself. Only to edit threads. :)

And if you use the search function to look for a certain word IN a topic, it will highlight the exact page that word is on. Just click on "display results as Posts". Once the results come up, just click on the topic title on the right side of the results and you're there.

You can also do a search on "Author" to find a certain member, rather than looking for the member list. If you don't know the full name/spelling, you can always use * as a wildcard.
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Couganata wrote:I appreciate when someone posts a new topic even if it has been brought up on page 29 of another thread. Constantly these threads are locked out and redirected to some long thread that I don't have the time to read.

Is there not a way to limit threads to several pages, or start threads over when they get to so many... An example of this today came with the MOTM thread. The thread brought up the CR band not being there. I had no idea. I don't have time to go through all the threads etc. I am glad the person brought it up but it was quickly killed by a mod.

Often the threads get onto new subjects and loose the puropose of the orginal thread and a new thread would be better then page 37 of a thread.

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately BN is often run as though everyone has the time and desire to be up on every thread of every section as opposed to focusing on where a broader population may be coming from.

I'd suggest threads with significant new information (e.g. Coral Reefers not being at MOTM) be in main discussion forums vs. being connected back to a 30+ page "who's going?" thread that is only partially connected to the broader issue of this particular case.

In fact, I'm very surprised the PHIP email isn't a "front page" news item here on BN. Are people afraid something negative might be said about JB in a higher-profile place?? Is it intended that only "regulars" find their way to participate in certain discussions??

Too bad. BN loses again. :-?
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

SMLCHNG wrote:Just an FYI - the Mods don't have the ability to make changes to the website itself. Only to edit threads. :)

And if you use the search function to look for a certain word IN a topic, it will highlight the exact page that word is on. Just click on "display results as Posts". Once the results come up, just click on the topic title on the right side of the results and you're there.

You can also do a search on "Author" to find a certain member, rather than looking for the member list. If you don't know the full name/spelling, you can always use * as a wildcard.
My grievances don't sound so valid when you have a quick fix for them. :D
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

FunkHouse9 wrote:I think it would be helpful to have the ability to jump to a middle page in the member list. With 740 pages, if you're looking for someone in the middle of the alphabet you're going to be there a while since clicking next page repeatedly will only get you there so fast.

Funk Dude,

You can fast forward in the member list by changing the URL listed. For example, when the member list is sorted by member name ascending, go to the last page (currently page 779) and you'll see the following in the URL bar:

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/member ... tart=15560

Page 779 starts with member number 15560.

Then you can replace the 15560 with any number you want and hit enter. To get to the approximate middle of the alphabetical member list enter http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/member ... &start=750

Playing hit or mis you can start zeroing in on what page the member name you're looking for is located.

Not perfect, but it'll get you there.

...... surfpirate
Last edited by surfpirate on May 10, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

KeetAtHeart wrote:I agree that it's not practical to summarize long threads, but I also see Coug's point that people miss out on important topics when they're buried in long threads.

I wonder if people who find themselves in a long conversation could suggest, within the thread, that it might be worth starting a new topic? The first post of the new topic could refer back to the original thread for the "back story," and then continue the discussion under the new, more relevent subject line.

Just a thought... :wink:

Tina
If there is a conversation within a thread that deserves it's own thread (different topic than the original thread), you don't need to suggest to someone else they start a new thread.
Just post that you are going to start a new topic, do so, and provide the link to the new thread in the original thread so folks can follow the conversation there. :wink:

It's not uncommon for one conversation to lead to other ideas.
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Quiet and Shy wrote:Are people afraid something negative might be said about JB in a higher-profile place?? Is it intended that only "regulars" find their way to participate in certain discussions??
No. There is no conspiracy, just lots and lots of discussions going on, and us trying to make them as manageable as possible.
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
lati2d
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: Used to be Cape Codder

Post by lati2d »

LIPH wrote:And I'm not even a moderator.
But - Do you play one on TV?!
" I don't want to burn in hell; I just want to be lightly browned."

Kent
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

No, but I was a moderator at another Buffett board and I got suspended once. :lol: