phjim
BN Webmaster
BN Webmaster
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita

Jimmy calls Radio Margaritaville

Post by phjim »

Jimmy Buffett called Radio Margaritaville's program director/afternoon DJ Steve Huntington from Highway 101, near Beullton, California, while making a solo road trip to Santa Cruz, with surfboards on the roof and his bike tied to the rear of his rented white VW van, was retracing steps from his days working the clubs of the California coast.

He discussed getting a stand up paddle surfing lesson from surf god Laird Hamilton in San Onofre, playing Tinley/Chicago with Sonny Landreth who will be there for a blues festival. He talked about a trip to <b>Hawaii in October</b>, and a trip <b>"Down Under" presumably to Australia</b>, and discussed taking a video crew to the spot in <b>Tahiti</b> where he wrote "One Particular Harbour".

Hear a replay of the interview with Carson Cooper on Thursday 7/12 at 7am & 9am on Radio Margaritaville/SIRIUS 31, and radiomargaritaville.com.
creeky
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

Well this got me to figure out why my speakers are not working and get them working :lol:
creeky
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

I got a fair bit of the interview down on an email ....

but this is the main bit ....

word for word ....

Doing Hawaii in October ... then there are plans to go down under and do a little australia thing between thanksgiving and christmas. Gotta get back to Australia - Bondi Beach Hotel .....

And straight after - they went to Southern Cross ..... goosebumps !!!!!!!
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Oh, darn, missed it by a bit!! Stay tuned for the 9 a.m. replay. :)

Sounds like a fun time for Jimmy! I guess he got bored driving and figured Everybody's On The Phone!?
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

conched wrote:I guess he got bored driving and figured Everybody's On The Phone!?
SPEW!!!!!

You gotta call that one in to RM and tell Steve.... Really..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
SusanNJ
Southeast of disorder

Post by SusanNJ »

I just heard the replay this morning at 7am on the way to work. Sounds like Jimmy is going to be doin' some surfing.

Good interview - check it out! (I'm sure they'll replay again if you miss the 9am one)
Water's so green and the air was so clean...
gatorparrot
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by gatorparrot »

How long was the interview? Any chance someone could record this off RM and post an MP3 of it somewhere (for those that might miss it again)? Thanks!
MargaritaMatt
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with Rum

Post by MargaritaMatt »

Did Steve ever play Jimmy's request for the Talking Heads?
Phins Up!
Margarita Matt
http://downislandliving.com/
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

gatorparrot wrote:How long was the interview? Any chance someone could record this off RM and post an MP3 of it somewhere (for those that might miss it again)? Thanks!
There's a good chance.

:)

From what I remember he started down in San Onofre and traveled North to Santa Barbara and was working his way North. The surfing was good July 4 and as he got farther norther the surf fell off, but it was too cold for him anyway. He wasn't gonna get any of those wet suits.

He had a Stiletto Sirius Radio to listen to RM and used an iphone. :)

He requested Days Go By by David Byrne and Talkin Heads. He heard it at a wedding he attended in California. (I googled and it may be Once In A Lifetime)

Buellton, CA is the home of split pea soup!

Talked about Amazing Rhythm Aces opening for him (also Little River Band and Little Feat opened for him when he played at places out along where he was driving.

San Luis Obispo to San Jose in the real pretty part on Pacific Coast Highway, but more inland away from the water at the time.

Going to Monterrey and see some surfer buddies.

It was a four hour drive, so they had to replay it for him to listen. :)

(More later)
Ambition At Bay
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by Ambition At Bay »

Cool interview. That drive he's doing is REAL nice, beautiful part of CA for sure [smilie=thatworks.gif]

Really highway 101 from there all the way up to Olympic National Park by Seattle is amazing :D :D one of the most beautiful drives in the US...years ago it took me almost two weeks to make it up just the Oregon coast, about 300 miles, so many places to stop!!!!
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

sounds great.

I got all my Sans somethings mixed up...guess he said he was going to Santa Cruz instead of San Jose.

Wine Country!
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
conched wrote:I guess he got bored driving and figured Everybody's On The Phone!?
SPEW!!!!!

You gotta call that one in to RM and tell Steve.... Really..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya might know it was an iphone! :)
PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

Great interview...but a little sad too.

Sounds like he is having fun out on the left coast.

But he did say that these were the "waning years of touring as we know it".

Clearly his days of summer touring (even cut back as it is) are numbered.

Can't blame him and I hope to be able to attend on of these exoctic location shows. I guess Only Time Will Tell.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!
gatorparrot
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by gatorparrot »

PA PAR8 HED wrote:But he did say that these were the "waning years of touring as we know it".

I heard this too, and found it somewhat disconcerting considering the Time magazine "10 Questions" response where he said he wasn't ready to retire yet, along with other references he has said like "see you next summer," etc... I'm sure he'll never really fully retire, but the way this season seems to be going he'll probably be playing less shows from now on, and in more intimate settings in exotic locations...
Ambition At Bay

conched wrote:sounds great.

I got all my Sans somethings mixed up...guess he said he was going to Santa Cruz instead of San Jose.

Wine Country!
:lol: :lol: :lol: lots of "Sans" out that way.
Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

PA PAR8 HED wrote:But he did say that these were the "waning years of touring as we know it".

Can't blame him and I hope to be able to attend on of these exoctic location shows. I guess Only Time Will Tell.
With him doing all these "Legacy Shows", can anyone really be surprised to hear this?
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog
Ambition At Bay

Dezdmona wrote:

With him doing all these "Legacy Shows", can anyone really be surprised to hear this?
For me this is GREAT news. Ever since the '98 St. Barts concert (it was free btw) I really enjoy the smaller shows AND I love traveling so, BONUS :D
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

gatorparrot wrote:

I heard this too, and found it somewhat disconcerting considering the Time magazine "10 Questions" response where he said he wasn't ready to retire yet, along with other references he has said like "see you next summer," etc... I'm sure he'll never really fully retire, but the way this season seems to be going he'll probably be playing less shows from now on, and in more intimate settings in exotic locations...
Don't be such pessimists. :-? So he was reminiscing the past. He could easily be referring to the fact that half the venues on his next tour leg will likely be gone by next summer (Indy and Chicago are for sale for development).

With his Time comments being consistent with what he's previously said and Margaritaville's multiplying by leaps and bounds, as long as he and those around him stay healthy and it stays fun, he won't be going anywhere soon.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
gatorparrot
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by gatorparrot »

Quiet and Shy wrote:Don't be such pessimists. :-?
I don't see how what I said was at all pessimistic... I intended for that to focus on the part of "waning years of touring as we know it." I would love for JB to play more of the Anguilla/Paris/Tahiti type shows (and actually be able to attend one :o ) Who knows, he might even start making more surprise visits to play at his Margaritaville Cafes! That, along with playing more small and intimate shows, would certainly be different from touring "as we know it!!"
PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

Jimmy's first response was "the waning years of touring". When Steve called him on it, he added the "touring as we know it".

Obviously, Jimmy was not going to tour forever. We knew that. But he is clearly looking down the road to how is performances will change in the coming years.

I'd love to see him play Camden or Great Woods for the next 20 years. Realizing that won't happen, I'm looking forward to making a trip to see him when I can afford the fun tickets.

I'd much rather see Jimmy having fun in his "waning" years.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!