MOTM and any CR show up?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

rpnuge
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 0

MOTM and any CR show up?

Post by rpnuge »

Hey - did anybody from the Coral Reefer Band show up in Key West for the MOTM 2007? I know they originally said a scheduling conflict - which was obviously the 2 Tampa shows - but they were pretty close to Key West
z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

we saw Fingers and T.C. Mitchell quite a few times during the week
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

phinhead
Overkill

Post by phinhead »

No...none of the remaining Coral Reefers made it. Neither did their boss. :evil: A lot of people were not happy about that. We were all hoping he would show up at the street festival on Friday and surprise us, but it was not meant to be. Thanks to the idiots who schedule his shows I won't get to see a Buffett show this year. Buffett blames it on his management, but you think he would have known, or someone would have mentioned it to him. Since the Coral Reefers were taken away from us he could have slipped in for a few songs. Hell...his manager probably wouldn't even have know he had left. :wink:
Oh well....now on to the brighter side. :D
As previously stated Fingers and T.C. were there. They were both great. I have to say that every band I saw was outstanding. Hugo Duarte and the Full Sail Band w/Fingers were just amazing to watch. Chris Clifford (Hugo's guitar player) is one of the best in the business, and should be as famous as Clapton, in my opinion. The Boat Drunks were a lot of fun and had everybody up and dancing. I also saw Tall Paul and Crawdaddy for the first time. What great music! I have to say that Crawdaddy is as good as Fingers on the harmonica. I also got to see KD Moore w/ Fingers at Cowboy Bills. Another outstanding show. Another highlight was the sunset cruise with the Eric Stone band.
In short....I had a blast.
Phin :pirate:
Bring me the hot sauce, bring me a beer. Going to be the last man standing, but where do you go from here?
f2cdlzrd
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by f2cdlzrd »

I also had a great time. Unfortunately I won't get to see Jimmy this year either (first time in 7 years without a show) but was glad to see Fingers and TC. I am a huge Fingers Taylor fan but have never seen him onstage with Jimmy. Here's to hopin... Also, I really missed seeing Peter play at the Casa this year but had an awesome time at the Jim Morris show. Hello fellow bocanuts!
ATLANTA - April 30, 2013
photogal
I Love the Now!
Favorite Boat Drink: Tonga Juice

Post by photogal »

He could have sent over Peter or Mac on Friday. I kept hearing it was managements fault. There is no way you can tell me that Jimmy doesnt do what he wants when he wants to. Its all him. I really dont think he gives a rats ass about MOTM or anything else we do as long as we keep buying his stuff. I could have cared less if he showed up it was Mac and Peter we missed. It was so dead over at the Casa Friday night. No one went there. Scott Kirby played 2 nights in a row over there. We had a blast downtown. I did hear from someone that Sunshine was not happy with Jimmy but I dont think he really cares. I for one will not give him anymore of my money. I only went into MV to pee......heehee.
Believe, Be Light, Be Love.........p.mayer
Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 64
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

I saw Fingers and KD Moore on the Cat Sunset Cruise on Saturday night. They were both outstanding! I could have cried when they did Coast of Marseilles. :D

Fingers was also very nice...he sat next to my husband during his break, signed my BN ID and took a picture with me. 8)

There were so many bands to see and we enjoyed all of them. I have to admit, we had more fun on Duval then at Casa. Hearing a chain saw going while someone is in the middle of a set was quite distracting. :-?

It would have been nice to have Jimmy and/or CRB show up, but I wasn't going to let that spoil a great time. [smilie=happyspin.gif]
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
bubba phan
I Love the Now!

Post by bubba phan »

Look at it this way........In all likelyhood, Jimmy will probably more than make up for this year's absence next year, yes? :D
I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone....
ImageHeaven on Earth

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I always thought MOTM was a parrothead convention and a chance to see a lot of island-style performers that we don't normally get to see. Who knew it was supposed to be just another Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band appearance.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

bubba phan wrote:Look at it this way........In all likelyhood, Jimmy will probably more than make up for this year's absence next year, yes? :D
I'd gamble against it.
creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

At the club leaders brunch we had a video from him where he apologised for the scheduling conflict.

There is a lot that goes in to scheduling his tours - he does not do the scheduling - his handlers do.

Good news is that the people I spoke to that are close to him said Australia in Jan/Feb 8)
photogal
I Love the Now!
Favorite Boat Drink: Tonga Juice

Post by photogal »

LIPH wrote:I always thought MOTM was a parrothead convention and a chance to see a lot of island-style performers that we don't normally get to see. Who knew it was supposed to be just another Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band appearance.
Its not a Buffett and CRB appearance. Peter and Mac usually play, thats the big disapointment. Can someone who can remember past MOTM tell me how long Peter and or Mac or CLub Trini have been showing up? I only go back 5 years and this is the first time they didnt play.
Everyone who goes DOES NOT expect Jimmy to show up!!
And I had a great time....doesnt mean I can't be bummed Peter or Mac wasnt there.
Believe, Be Light, Be Love.........p.mayer
bubba phan
I Love the Now!

Post by bubba phan »

LIPH wrote:I always thought MOTM was a parrothead convention and a chance to see a lot of island-style performers that we don't normally get to see. Who knew it was supposed to be just another Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band appearance.
Very true, however, many members of the band have established a tradition of making appearances at MOTM that many (not all, just many) convention-goers have come to expect and look forward to.......hence the disappointment alot of folks have voiced regarding the concert schedule. My reference to Jimmy is only to suggest that he will probably make a point, if at all possible, to see to it that the scheduling conflict that occurred this year, doesn't happen next year. Sure, a possible appearance by Jimmy and/or some of the Coral Reefers isn't the reason people go, but it can certainly be a very pleasant surprise for some.
I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone....
ImageHeaven on Earth

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

I missed seeing Peter, Jim, Mac and the other Coral Reefers....never expected to see Jimmy. But I sure did enjoy all the musicians. Kinda a little tiny itty bitty taste of Heaven. I've never heard Jim Morris and the Big Bamboo Band live before....GAH they're GOOD !!!!!!!!! Why is, "oh oh oh ohoh woe woe I love Sangria wine" keep going through my head ? 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then there's that rubber chicken. :o
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

creeky wrote:At the club leaders brunch we had a video from him where he apologised for the scheduling conflict.

There is a lot that goes in to scheduling his tours - he does not do the scheduling - his handlers do.

Good news is that the people I spoke to that are close to him said Australia in Jan/Feb 8)
As long as he does Tahiti before or after I'm good :D
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

bubba phan wrote:
Very true, however, many members of the band have established a tradition of making appearances at MOTM that many (not all, just many) convention-goers have come to expect and look forward to.......hence the disappointment alot of folks have voiced regarding the concert schedule. My reference to Jimmy is only to suggest that he will probably make a point, if at all possible, to see to it that the scheduling conflict that occurred this year, doesn't happen next year. Sure, a possible appearance by Jimmy and/or some of the Coral Reefers isn't the reason people go, but it can certainly be a very pleasant surprise for some.
I'd gamble against this too. While I doubt he does his own scheduling, I also doubt he just goes where he is told when he is told.
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

I wonder if this might be the year in which things really start to change, when a lot of Parrotheads become less Jimmy-focused and more trop rock-focused.

MOTM was excellent. It would have been great to see some of the current Reefers in town...but they didn't.

The Parrothead Phlock did a magnificent job of supporting all of us other "trop rock" musicians. Yeah, some folks stayed away because of no CRB this year...but they will hear about the good time they missed, I'm sure.

I think we owe a lot to Jimmy for starting us down this road. And I have a lot of respect for the many years of hard work he's put into his musical art and toward giving the fans a goodly bit of what they want. But I also see a day coming -- and it may be here -- when we no longer need him to have a good time, because we've got each other.

I probably heard two or three Jim Morris songs more often than "Margaritaville" this time. I *definitely* heard Kelly McGuire's "Blame it on Buffett" a *lot* more than "Margaritaville." And I think that's a good thing.

Next year's MOTM is again named after a Jim Morris song. Maybe 2009's will be named after a Sunny Jim song. And the party will go on. Because every day *is* a holiday, and it's all in our state of mind.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
spartan1979
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: IPA

Post by spartan1979 »

TropicalTroubador wrote:I wonder if this might be the year in which things really start to change, when a lot of Parrotheads become less Jimmy-focused and more trop rock-focused.
While I didn't go to MOTM, I'm becoming more into Trop Rock than Buffett. This summer I saw Jimmy at Tinley, but after I bought my tickets (and Cubs tickets for that weekend) the St. Louis Parrothead Club announce Jim Morris would be playing at their annual picnic the same weekend. I was bummed. Right now, I'd rather see Jim Morris then Jimmy. Especially when you add in the cost of the tickets.

This year, instead of paying $600 to see Jimmy, I think I'll fly to Florida and see Jim Morris at the Nav-a-gator. :D

I'm looking forward to Flipperstock.
L-FINZ-R
Nibblin' on sponge cake

MOTM 2007

Post by L-FINZ-R »

Lucy Buffett was selling her LuLu's cookbook in the Mini-Mart room. Morris + the BBB, Sunny Jim, and the Boat Drunks put on their usual fine performances. John Frinzi was EVERYWHERE (even played the Washington DC Area PHC party, ably assisted by ex-BBB Charlie DeCosa and the multitalented Jimmy Pappas). First time seeing Howard Livingston +MM 24 and Massacoustics. It won't be the last for me!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

I did not expect to see
Jimmy OR the CRs..

But you may want to see a thread I will post
in a bit..

OK maybe as late as this weekend..
Tropic_Al
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Just about anything, as long it's in a blue cup.

Post by Tropic_Al »

ragtopW wrote:I did not expect to see
Jimmy OR the CRs..

But you may want to see a thread I will post
in a bit..

OK maybe as late as this weekend..
Can't wait to see it. Kinda wondering what went down @ Rick's Saturday night around 10:30 pm. We were getting pizza out front & there seemed to be a little excitement out back.
Michael "Tank" Listowski 05.14.54-09.24.08 RIP