What Has Been The Most Terrifying Moment In Your Life So Far

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Mottola-Buffett
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 3

What Has Been The Most Terrifying Moment In Your Life So Far

Post by Mottola-Buffett »

I came across this question and thought it'd be excellent fodder for conversation... "What has been the most terrifying moment in your life so far?"

I've been sitting here running a mental rewind on my life, trying to come up with that one particular moment that terrified me beyond all others. I don't know about you, but there are quite a few scary events from my past that make the short list: waking up in an ambulance after having been hit by a car on my bike (that was rather frightening), my girlfriend's ex-boyfriend busting down the door of our apartment one night as we slept, grabbing a butcher knife and holding her hostage on a balcony for hours (that one caused nightmares for years!), two emergency c-sections were certainly cause for alarm, BUT, the most terrifying moment, the most horrific moment in my life so far had to be a flight my husband and I took from Puerta Vallarta to Chicago on Ryan Air. On that flight, we experienced white-knuckle turbulance for the longest 45 minutes of my life... flight attendants were even throwing up in the aisle! I, myself, vascilated between tears, deep-breathing and praying the Our Father. The silence on the plane was eery, broken only by quiet sobs heard here and there. But perhaps the worst thing, the thing that created in me, such helpless frustration, was the fact that that pilot NEVER ONCE got on that PA to explain what was going on; never once reassurred us that we were going to live to see another day. (I should have known better when my friends said they saw the pilot hanging out in the airport bar prior to departure.) By the time we finally did land I was so thoroughly exhausted, not to mention infuriated!

And so, what about you? I'm curious, what has been the most terrifying moment in your life - so far?

Lisa
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Tie:
the minute I got the phone call from my sister telling me that our mom's cancer was terminal and the minute I got the phone call from the nice Sheriff's Deputy telling me my husband was in the trauma center at MCV after a motorcyle accident.

So many things go through your head, so fast.

Those events actually were more "terrifying" to me than events that actually threatened my own life/safety.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

Most terrifying-
April, 1972

Saddest-
3-way tie:
Sept. 11, 2001
May 10, 2008
June, 2008
Big Phan
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by Big Phan »

Hearing the words 'you have cancer' and having to tell my family members.

I'm fine now, a little worse for the wear, but fine! :D
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

1:00AM, Friday, June 18, 1993. They'd taken my newborn son to the nursery 3 1/2 hours earlier because they didn't like the way he was breathing. The doctor came in to my room and without a word pulled a chair up to the edge of the bed and sat down. The next seconds were filled with stark terror, made no better when he finally started talking. "You have a very sick little boy. We're moving him to intensive care. His lungs aren't working right and we don't know why." Two days later they were finally able to tell it was pneumonia in all four lobes of his lungs. Two days after that the pneumonia started to clear, after the doctors said they weren't at all sure he was going to survive, and he might be in for a very long fight. "I can't explain this; medically it's impossible, but his lungs are clearing and his breathing has returned to normal." (But that's for the "Have you ever experienced an unexplainable miracle" thread. :wink: )

Being surrounded by an angry mob in the middle east and knowing that if they got the car door open or broke the windows (as they were trying to do) they were going to beat us, probably to death, comes in a distant second....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Mottola-Buffett
Havana Daydreamin'

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:1:00AM, Friday, June 18, 1993. They'd taken my newborn son to the nursery 3 1/2 hours earlier because they didn't like the way he was breathing. The doctor came in to my room and without a word pulled a chair up to the edge of the bed and sat down. The next seconds were filled with stark terror, made no better when he finally started talking. "You have a very sick little boy. We're moving him to intensive care. His lungs aren't working right and we don't know why." Two days later they were finally able to tell it was pneumonia in all four lobes of his lungs. Two days after that the pneumonia started to clear, after the doctors said they weren't at all sure he was going to survive, and he might be in for a very long fight. "I can't explain this; medically it's impossible, but his lungs are clearing and his breathing has returned to normal." (But that's for the "Have you ever experienced an unexplainable miracle" thread. :wink: )

Being surrounded by an angry mob in the middle east and knowing that if they got the car door open or broke the windows (as they were trying to do) they were going to beat us, probably to death, comes in a distant second....
Both equally scary - although there's just something horrifying in the pit of your stomach when your child is involved. Glad, in both cases, everything turned out okay.
bufitonmybmw
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 28

Post by bufitonmybmw »

It's a tie:
Summer, 1993
Puttering around my backyard & realizing my then-2 year old daughter Melissa was nowhere to be found. Then seeing her little tykes chair next to the side of our above-ground pool....yes, she was at the bottom. My then-husband dove in, pulled her out & THANK GOD she started sputtering. It happened that quick.

Summer, 2000
My then 2-year old daughter Hannah had pooped in her bathing suit while out in our yard. As I was hosing it off & had my back turned, she walked off & fell into our in-ground pool...yes, she was at the bottom. My husband dove in, pulled her out & THANK GOD she started sputtering.
It happened again. That quick.

Both instances took at least 10 years off my life, I swear. Both happened while we were in the yard with them, not 10 feet away. I will never, ever forget the terror that gripped me at those moments....
"There's someone for me somewhere....and I still miss someone"
VanillaGrl
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Boat Drink: Guinness - Heaven in a Pint!

Post by VanillaGrl »

There are a couple actually,

August 16, 1975
I was 14yrs old
It involved a gun pointed to my head, that's as far as I care to go with the details.
I many many times look back and wonder if things would have turned out differently if I would have fought back.
I am staying away from posting in the 'Shooting' thread. :( :-?

December 30, 1984
Went into labour 6 weeks early with my son.
Emergency C-section; he had pneaumonia and a blood infection among other things.
The doctors told me he would not survive, and even if he did...well, you know what they always say.
10 days later, we were taking him home...doctors and nurses were all shocked. He has grown up to be a happy, healthy, handsome, 6'1" 23yr old young man....and a wonderful son.
:D
KK :wench:
Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by Frank4 »

Januay 27th, 2007 2:15 AM-my wife is in labor and the nurse lost the baby's heartbeat. We went from one nurse in our room to 7 nurses and a house doctor. They sat me down in a chair in the corner and would not tell me what was going on. My wife looked over at me with tears in her eyes asking what was wrong. When my son was born, the cord was wrapped around his neck twice, he was purple. Wife and baby were all right.

Runner-up January 6th 2008-my son was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia, it later progressed to double pneumonia. He was in the hospital for 4 days in the peds ward. He was a trooper though, he managed to pull through.

Nothing compares to that
I thank the Lord for the people I have found
-Elton John
PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

1. Baby sister choking on halloween candy while I was driving - pulled over and had to stick my hand down her throat to clear the passage way.

2. Getting a call at 1:00 a.m. while at a friends house telling me a drunk driver had crashed through our house.

3. Being in Cabo during a hurricane.

4. Rushing Happy Shark to the hospital one week after our honeymoon as the docs thought he was having a heart attack.

5. Rushing Happy Shark to the hospital about a year ago because he had an allergic reaction to a banana that made his tongue swell and when they gave him epenephrin (sp) watching him turn whiter than the sheet he was laying on and the doctors and nurses getting ready to intubate him (yup allergic reaction to that too).

4. Everyday for almost a year that my oldest keet was in Iraq - fear everytime the phone rang or the doorbell rang and we weren't expecting anyone.

5. Something going on with my oldest keet right now that I can't discuss.

I'm sure there are more - although after reading some of y'alls, mine are minor ((((((((((((BN phriends)))))))))))
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

VanillaGrl wrote:It involved a gun pointed to my head, that's as far as I care to go with the details.
I am staying away from posting in the 'Shooting' thread. :( :-?
I'm with you there, KK.. :(

It was in 1986. I was a teller in a Credit Union. I was the only one open this particular day. I was waiting on a nice young lady. A regular customer..

I saw three men come in the front door. I did not recognize them, and I pretty much knew everyone that walked in the place.

I saw them draw their guns and told the girl in front of me to be calm, we’re about to be robbed. Another girl was standing behind her waiting. That 2nd girl ran out the back door and could have gotten all killed.

One guy went across the room, and took one of our employees by the arm and wanted her to open the vault. She was an older lady and they finally let her go when she insisted she didn’t have the combination.

They went into my managers office and made her come out, again, wanting to open the safe. She explained it was on a time delay.

Then they jumped over the counter to me, put a gun in my side, and had me empty all the cash into a bag. I did, but all I could do was focus on the gun in my ribs.

Once they had their money, we all had to lay flat on the floor with our heads down. I held hands with my friend Jennifer and our hands were as white as a ghost.

We didn’t hear any more noises so one of us finally raised our heads up, and they had left the building. We saw the police in the paring lot, but they didn’t know that the robbers had left the scene.

It took 3 hours to talk to the police, and look at mug shots. I picked two of them out. I did hear later that they were in jail.

And just at the time the robbery started? The tape had run out on our surveillance camera, so nothing on tape.

I never want to have a gun in my side again.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

September 11, 2001
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Mottola-Buffett
Havana Daydreamin'

Wow! I can't believe that many of you have been held at gun-point! Now THAT would be terrifying.
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

(((((((((((((((((Lisa,Allison,Garry,Lisa,Jen,Cindy,KK,Penny,Renee,Frank, and all my BN friends))))))))))))))))))))))))))

one of mine also involved a gun and an ex......'nuff said :-?

the day i was told my mom had metastatic cancer

the day i was told my boyfriend had a heart attack at the age of 34(he was born with a very bad heart) and did not survive

Sept 11...i was in the Bahamas for a friend's bachelorette party...terrified about family and friends who worked and lived in and around the Towers and how the heck we were going to get home :(
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
VanillaGrl
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Boat Drink: Guinness - Heaven in a Pint!

Post by VanillaGrl »

Mottola-Buffett wrote:Wow! I can't believe that many of you have been held at gun-point! Now THAT would be terrifying.
What followed was probably even more terrifying; and something taken away that could not be given back.
KK :wench:
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

VanillaGrl wrote:
Mottola-Buffett wrote:Wow! I can't believe that many of you have been held at gun-point! Now THAT would be terrifying.
What followed was probably even more terrifying; and something taken away that could not be given back.
((((((((((((((((((((((((KK))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) :( :( :( :( :(
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

VanillaGrl wrote:
Hmmmmmmm if its what I think it is - I had that too - but no gun was involved :-? :( :(
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Post by aeroparrot »

((( KK and Renee )))
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

PHAW Webmistress wrote:
VanillaGrl wrote:
Hmmmmmmm if its what I think it is - I had that too - but no gun was involved :-? :( :(
(((((((((((((((((Renee)))))))))))))))))))) :( :( :(
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

PHAW Webmistress wrote:
VanillaGrl wrote:
well If I'm thinking what you're thinking is what I'm thinking and if KK is thinking what we're both thinking

then I unfortunately can join in
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.