2009 Baseball Season

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

2009 Baseball Season

Post by Bfan53again »

Hey, I know I'm early with this thread.....college football is still on TV this week :o

But I love baseball and have always wanted to attend some Spring Training games. Anybody have any suggestions for a "first timer" to consider if I go???? :pirate:

On the Hot Stove front: With all their major acquisitions this off season can the Yankees not be considered the front runner for AL East Champs in 2009???? [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

I'll wait for the Red Sox fans to respond....... [smilie=whistle.gif]
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Re: 2009 Baseball Season

Post by TommyBahama »

Actually i was Just watching Sports Center and Buster Olney picks Tampa Bay...with the Signing of Burrell...he feels top to bottom they have the best balance of speed and power....on top of a young pitching staff that will be adding David Price!!

as for Spring Training...i've gone a few times.....i've been to Ft Lauderdale (Baltimore)....Jupiter ( Cards & Marlins ).....St Lucie (Mets)....Vero Beach ( Dodgers) Dodgers are gone..but by far the best complex i've been to.....Viera ( Nats )...brother lives near there....Disney (Braves).....i've never done the west Coast of Florida
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

The Yankees themselves have proven that spending truckloads of money is not a performance guarantee.

As for spring training, I went a long time ago to Arizona, to see the Rockies in spring training. It was pretty fun, but I don't have any advice other than that.
Image Image
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

And Americans complain about obesity. Baseball - a funny way to spell obesity. Ha ha.

Yeah - it is early. Way too early to mention this year's MLB season. With NFL playoffs and the NHL about to really ge cranking for playoff positions yet alone the fact that no one can name who won the "world" series last year.

Ah but the baseball teams, they are very similar to Wall Street and the US Government - how to spend a ton of money and still FAIL.
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

A good friend of mine is a die hard Yankees fan, and he says Boston and Tampa will fight for first and the Yankees will probably be third. He says the biggest improvement in their pitching is Wang returning, otherwise Sabathia will only replace Mussina's 20 wins, and Burnett will do what Pettite did last year.

Personally, I see the AL East as a 3 team race, and anything is possible.
ImageImage

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

David Price moves into the Rays rotation with the dump trade of Edwin "underachiever" Jackson to Detroit.
Matt Joyce will be a fantastic bat off the bench for the Rays.

They have 5 players potentially hitting 30 HRs this year...plus one of the best rotations in baseball, and aren't horrible defensively. They just need to close up some holes in the 'Pen, and they are set for another run at the World Series!
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Oh, and the only Spring Trainings I've ever been to have been the Rays....
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

JustDucky wrote:And Americans complain about obesity. Baseball - a funny way to spell obesity. Ha ha.

Yeah - it is early. Way too early to mention this year's MLB season. With NFL playoffs and the NHL about to really ge cranking for playoff positions yet alone the fact that no one can name who won the "world" series last year.

Ah but the baseball teams, they are very similar to Wall Street and the US Government - how to spend a ton of money and still FAIL.
See you back to this thread in April.........but then again the NHL season runs how long now?????? :pirate:

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

SharkOnLand wrote:The Yankees themselves have proven that spending truckloads of money is not a performance guarantee.
How true, how true about them Yankees........but they keep on trying! :D

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

f'n Mets (I thought I'd make a pre-emptive strike before the 3rd annual end of season choke :lol:)
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

If they keep messing with the NHL season entirely it's gonna go into July. It almost does as it is now. I wish they'd put it back to how it was in the 1980s at least - shorter pre-season, 80 games, first playoff is best of 5, the Cup was won by mid May...

Baseball, basketball and hockey - three really really really long regular seasons. NFL is now 17 weeks. What is up with the bye-week anyway? Never figured that one out.
SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

JustDucky wrote:NFL is now 17 weeks. What is up with the bye-week anyway? Never figured that one out.
It started when the NFL had an odd number of teams, each week at least one team wouldn't have a game, simply due to the logistics. However, they now use it as a tool to squeeze another week of TV revenue out of the networks.
Image Image
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Post by aeroparrot »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813025

Pettite is not going to the Yankees now.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

I used to go to Spring Training annually. But as player's became less available to have any contact with and cost of Spring Training games became nearly as much as regualr season games I stopped going. "Back in the day" players were just walking around any complex in Arizona. I recall seeing LA/California/Anaheim Angels players walking through the parking lot from the batting cages to the main stadium for their game. Often players would stop by and say hi....in uniform. I remember walking in Peoria, AZ with my head down looking at my camera and smaking into Greg Vaughn. I recall one time sharing a table at a crouded restaurant with Lou Pinella. I remember when you could go see the "B" game at 9 AM and sit in a little league style bleachers and watch MLB & Minor leaguers for free, Usually with only a dozen or so others. Guys would talk to you when on deck to hit or between innings. But sadly, those days are gone.
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

aeroparrot wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813025

It says he rejected their offer...but that they continue to talk.....my money says they sign him...the Yankees really want their inaugural season at the new stadium to go well. Spending another couple of million after what they've already done isn't going to break them.
ImageImage

SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

C-Dawg wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813025

It says he rejected their offer...but that they continue to talk.....my money says they sign him...the Yankees really want their inaugural season at the new stadium to go well. Spending another couple of million after what they've already done isn't going to break them.
Their money would better be spent trying to pay off the other teams. You could buy a lot of wins for 300 mil....
Image Image
luvinlife
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: That's what living is to me.
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Sam Summer

Post by luvinlife »

Some things you just cant buy... Like CLASS for instance.
I'm growing older but not up!
Destination Fenway 18

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

SharkOnLand wrote:
JustDucky wrote:NFL is now 17 weeks. What is up with the bye-week anyway? Never figured that one out.
It started when the NFL had an odd number of teams, each week at least one team wouldn't have a game, simply due to the logistics. However, they now use it as a tool to squeeze another week of TV revenue out of the networks.
Actually, not true. They started the Bye Week in 1990, modeled after something the old AFL did. It was to give each team a break.
In 1993, for one year only, they went with 2 bye weeks per team.

The only time the NFL ever had an odd number of teams was from 1999-2001, which made it neccessary for a team to have a "bye" week in week 1, and another in week 17.
(In 1999, the "New" Browns started playing, but it wasn't until 2002 that the Texans joined the league)

Great info for the Baseball thread, huh?
SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

CaptainP wrote:
SharkOnLand wrote:
Actually, not true. They started the Bye Week in 1990, modeled after something the old AFL did. It was to give each team a break.
In 1993, for one year only, they went with 2 bye weeks per team.

The only time the NFL ever had an odd number of teams was from 1999-2001, which made it neccessary for a team to have a "bye" week in week 1, and another in week 17.
(In 1999, the "New" Browns started playing, but it wasn't until 2002 that the Texans joined the league)
I stand corrected. I thought it had started because of the odd number of teams. My mind apparently isn't what it used to be. :P
Great info for the Baseball thread, huh?
:lol:
Image Image
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

TheSecretsInTheCrust wrote:I used to go to Spring Training annually. But as player's became less available to have any contact with and cost of Spring Training games became nearly as much as regualr season games I stopped going. "Back in the day" players were just walking around any complex in Arizona. I recall seeing LA/California/Anaheim Angels players walking through the parking lot from the batting cages to the main stadium for their game. Often players would stop by and say hi....in uniform. I remember walking in Peoria, AZ with my head down looking at my camera and smaking into Greg Vaughn. I recall one time sharing a table at a crouded restaurant with Lou Pinella. I remember when you could go see the "B" game at 9 AM and sit in a little league style bleachers and watch MLB & Minor leaguers for free, Usually with only a dozen or so others. Guys would talk to you when on deck to hit or between innings. But sadly, those days are gone.
Agreed, those were the days......too bad today's younger fans never experienced baseball back in the 60s and 70s (crap, now I'm sounding like my father!!!!!).

As a life-long Baltimore Orioles fan (yeah, I know our glory days are long gone.....) it was nice to know that every year Brooks Robinson would be playing third base, Boog Powell on first, and you could approach these guys before and after games without much problem. Now you never know what players will be on what team at what time during the year..... :o

Have to admit another real pet peeve of mine today are players that charge for their sacred autographs!!!!! [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]