Jimmy gets political (blog link)

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

PharmerBern
Favorite Buffett Song: Margaritaville
Number of Concerts: 0

Jimmy gets political (blog link)

Post by PharmerBern »

www.headcount.org/blog has a story by Village Voice writer Richard Gehr about Jimmy getting political in some recent songs.

http://www.headcount.org/blog
SchoonerWharf
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Delaney Talks To Statues
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Loaded Landshark

Re: Jimmy gets political (blog link)

Post by SchoonerWharf »

Which goes to show that even your favorite singer in the world can be misinformed and a hypocrite. But its all good, as its a minor flaw for a musical genius...
Spending 24/7 in a Key West state of mind......
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

He's talked about current events before in songs. When you say "gets political" I thought it was going to be about him marking out for the left. "We got a Lot to drink about" seems to be about everybody, right and left.
I not sure a line in Summerzcool could be considered "getting political".
I thought for sure that "When this war is Over" with Nadirah would be in the article.
The way I see it in the article, he does not pimp his views like "The Boss" or "Hank Jr" or other artists do.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

sonofabeach wrote:He's talked about current events before in songs. When you say "gets political" I thought it was going to be about him marking out for the left. "We got a Lot to drink about" seems to be about everybody, right and left.
I thought for sure that "When this war is Over" with Nadirah would be in the article.
The way I see it in the article, he does not pimp his views like "The Boss" or "Hank Jr" or other artists do.

Ted Nugent :o :o :o
chrisrehm
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer/ Pussers Rum

Post by chrisrehm »

To preface this, I will state that my feeling is to ask why anyone would put their political allegences in place because of what a musician says? Listen to their music and enoy it. They're musicians, not politicians.

Having said that...

One incident I enjoyed reading about:
A few years back Toby Keith told Kris Kristofferson not to bring up any of his "Lefty stuff" at Willy Nelson's birthday bash. Kris let him have it and asked him if he ever killed anyone for the U.S government and cashed the check afterwords. When Keith didn't answer he asked im, in a rather loud voice "I asked you a question boy!" and when again no reply came he said "I didn't THINK so!" Kris served in Vietnam and was decorated, while Keith just flapped his gums and picked a fight with three pretty girls from Texas. I enjoyed reading about it because it squarely put the Republican slant of "We're the REAL loyal Americans and Democrats, like the Dixie Chicks, are a bunch of un-patriotic earth worms" in true perspective. If Kristofferson wrote a song about that, I'd see it as an exception to my aforementioned disclosure.

Regarding Jimmy's song, you'd have to be wearing blinders to even remotely think that Jimmy's anything but a Democrat.I admire him for coming right out and proclaiming it in his song, which is a satire.

The problem with that is two fold. First, regardless of what you are saying, you run the risk of ending up like those aforementioned three girls from Texas... The Dixie Chicks. Nashville just pulled their plug. I don't think that would happen with Jimmy 'cause he's just way too huge and corporate.

The other problem is that political songs date themselves at a pretty quick rate. I doubt, for that reason alone, Jimmy would ever release it on a studio album. Maybe on a live album though.
Hula Hoop
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Sam Adams Summer Ale

Post by Hula Hoop »

I think one tiny thing that Chrisrehm overlooked is that The Dixie Chicks (whom I love) DEPEND on radio play and media coverage to sell albums/downloads. Jimmy never has and probably never will. I think the Chicks totally got screwed by the hooplah over their comments a few years ago. Americans pride themselves on freedom of speech. Well that "freedom" extends to everyone and covers the good AND the bad. Nathalie Maines has as much right to voice her opinion, whether it goes against the tide or not, as anyone else.

I don't base my beliefs or policital views on anything a musician, actor, writer, disc jockey, etc. says. I try to listen to all sides and formulate my own opinion, be it right or wrong. I love Jimmy for his music and the whole Parrothead lifestyle that it promotes. I don't care who he votes for as long as he's still "making music for me".
green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

Hula Hoop wrote:I think one tiny thing that Chrisrehm overlooked is that The Dixie Chicks (whom I love) DEPEND on radio play and media coverage to sell albums/downloads. Jimmy never has and probably never will. I think the Chicks totally got screwed by the hooplah over their comments a few years ago. Americans pride themselves on freedom of speech. Well that "freedom" extends to everyone and covers the good AND the bad. Nathalie Maines has as much right to voice her opinion, whether it goes against the tide or not, as anyone else.

I don't base my beliefs or policital views on anything a musician, actor, writer, disc jockey, etc. says. I try to listen to all sides and formulate my own opinion, be it right or wrong. I love Jimmy for his music and the whole Parrothead lifestyle that it promotes. I don't care who he votes for as long as he's still "making music for me".
As you said, that freedom extends to everyone, not just Nathalie Maines, but also her fan base. No one prevented her from saying what she said. The people who disagreed simply used their freedom of speech to oppose her viewpoint by 1) not buying her albums 2) calling the radio stations and complaining and 3) calling advertisers and complaining.

You can't have it only one way. Freedom carries responsibility and repercussions. If you want to say anything you need to accept the repercussions of it.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

ragtopW wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:He's talked about current events before in songs. When you say "gets political" I thought it was going to be about him marking out for the left. "We got a Lot to drink about" seems to be about everybody, right and left.

Ted Nugent :o :o :o

Cheech & Chong
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
diverg
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of Son of A Sailor
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by diverg »

chrisrehm wrote:To preface this, I will state that my feeling is to ask why anyone would put their political allegences in place because of what a musician says? Listen to their music and enoy it. They're musicians, not politicians.

Having said that...

A few years back Toby Keith told Kris Kristofferson not to bring up any of his "Lefty stuff" at Willy Nelson's birthday bash. Kris let him have it and asked him if he ever killed anyone for the U.S government and cashed the check afterwords. When Keith didn't answer he asked im, in a rather loud voice "I asked you a question boy!" and when again no reply came he said "I didn't THINK so!" Kris served in Vietnam and was decorated, while Keith just flapped his gums and picked a fight with three pretty girls from Texas. I enjoyed reading about it because it squarely put the Republican slant of "We're the REAL loyal Americans and Democrats, like the Dixie Chicks, are a bunch of un-patriotic earth worms" in true perspective. If Kristofferson wrote a song about that, I'd see it as an exception to my aforementioned disclosure.

Regarding Jimmy's song, you'd have to be wearing blinders to even remotely think that Jimmy's anything but a Democrat.I admire him for coming right out and proclaiming it in his song, which is a satire.

The problem with that is two fold. First, regardless of what you are saying, you run the risk of ending up like those aforementioned three girls from Texas... The Dixie Chicks. Nashville just pulled their plug. I don't think that would happen with Jimmy 'cause he's just way too huge and corporate.

The other problem is that political songs date themselves at a pretty quick rate. I doubt, for that reason alone, Jimmy would ever release it on a studio album. Maybe on a live album though.
According to both Toby Keith and Kris Kristofferson this never happened.

http://www.theboot.com/2009/04/06/toby- ... deny-feud/
oceanstate
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Trip Around the Sun
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by oceanstate »

green1 wrote: As you said, that freedom extends to everyone, not just Nathalie Maines, but also her fan base. No one prevented her from saying what she said. The people who disagreed simply used their freedom of speech to oppose her viewpoint by 1) not buying her albums 2) calling the radio stations and complaining and 3) calling advertisers and complaining.

You can't have it only one way. Freedom carries responsibility and repercussions. If you want to say anything you need to accept the repercussions of it.
You have to admit, though, the hoopla over the Chicks was way overblown. Natalie mouthed off with an 0off-the-cuff remark in one concert overseas, and someone picked it up to villify the Chicks as a anti-American group, which is pretty much about as un-true as any statement ever made. It was even more unfortunate when they got into verbal sparring with Toby over who is more patriotic.

I've been to see the Chicks multiple times, have all of the albums. There haven't been many concerts I can remember where for a couple of hours it seemed like all of the bad stuff in the world wasn't happening, as I got immersed in the music and spectacle. I've never heard a band be so spot-on with their vocals consistently. I, for one, miss them terribly.
chrisrehm
Southeast of disorder

Post by chrisrehm »

diverg wrote:
chrisrehm wrote:To preface this, I will state that my feeling is to ask why anyone would put their political allegences in place because of what a musician says? Listen to their music and enoy it. They're musicians, not politicians.

Having said that...

According to both Toby Keith and Kris Kristofferson this never happened.

http://www.theboot.com/2009/04/06/toby- ... deny-feud/
Well, Keith says it never happened, Kris says he doesn't remember it. No one asked Willie in the piece.

Those of us in Key West don't have a good feeling for Keith, as we feel he should have given at least a nod to Michael McCloud for the song, "I Love This Bar", which was clearly influenced every lunch time at Schooner Wharf when Michael played his "Tourist Town Bar" while Keith was recording his album at Shrimpboat and taking a break. For Keith to deny that only shows he's a lying sack of potatoes. He just has high priced lawyers.

So, while Kris says he doesn't remember it, Keith flat out denies it. Kirs is a very, very bright individual and took the neutral road on this. Keith took the bull in the china shop route. His integrity has already been established prior. Okay. They don't want skeletons from years ago surfacing in their lives today. I respect that. But, knowing Keith's record, I side with the author.
chrisrehm
Southeast of disorder

Post by chrisrehm »

Hula Hoop wrote:I think one tiny thing that Chrisrehm overlooked is that The Dixie Chicks (whom I love) DEPEND on radio play and media coverage to sell albums/downloads. Jimmy never has and probably never will. I think the Chicks totally got screwed by the hooplah over their comments a few years ago. Americans pride themselves on freedom of speech. Well that "freedom" extends to everyone and covers the good AND the bad. Nathalie Maines has as much right to voice her opinion, whether it goes against the tide or not, as anyone else.

Hey Hoola Hoop!

I pretty much agree with you all the way, only that if the 'Chick's kept their opinions to themselves, they never would have had a problem to begin with. I fully agree that they have the right to say what they want, but I also feel that they expose themselves to the wrath of the industry if they do. Like I alluded to: Who cares what a musician thinks regarding politics? Unfortunately for the Dixie Chicks, it ran them over like a freight train.

It's a fickle business
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

chrisrehm wrote:

Hey Hoola Hoop!

I pretty much agree with you all the way, only that if the 'Chick's kept their opinions to themselves, they never would have had a problem to begin with. I fully agree that they have the right to say what they want, but I also feel that they expose themselves to the wrath of the industry if they do. Like I alluded to: Who cares what a musician thinks regarding politics? Unfortunately for the Dixie Chicks, it ran them over like a freight train.

It's a fickle business
I like what Captain Tony had to say about this. Quoting here from Life Lessons of a Legend, by Captain Tony & Brad Manard (if you haven't already bought this book, BUY IT! :) ):
Instead of attacking the Dixie Chicks, we should have been celebrating that girl's right to say what she did. Isn't that why President Bush said we went to war with Iraq anyway, to give the Iraqi people the same right we were denying the Dixie Chicks?
And he's right. Time used to be, when you disagreed with someone you said, "I'm sorry; I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Now, when we disagree with someone, we try to destroy them. Call the advertisers, call the radio stations; let's prevent these people from ever earning a meaningful living again.

Sometimes, people aren't stopping with words or phone calls, but are moving on to blunt instruments and bullets in the night.

How is it "freedom of speech" to say, "I want to destroy you, destroy your ability to feed yourself and your family, destroy your ability to have a roof over your head and clothes on your back for daring to disagree with me?" It sounds more like what those guys in China and Iran are doing, to be honest, with the people who disagree with *their* party line.

It's the Fourth of July today. Celebrate not only your right to say what you want, but the rights of others to say what *they* want, even if they disagree with you. Because once in a while, they might be right too, and even if they're not...the ability to disagree respectfully is what all of the soldiers in all of the wars since the beginning of our Republic were fighting for. Not for the "right" of bullies to intimidate people into silence.

And because tomorrow, it might be someone trying to destroy *you* because they disagree with what *you* say. That particular shoe has a very inconvenient way of changing feet with little or no notice.

Finally...Chris, as a fellow musician, part of our job is to touch people's lives, to affect them. If we "keep our opinions to ourselves," we can't do that. Yeah, some opinions are easier to share and easier for others to identify with than others. But it's only when we share the stronger bits that we get the ability to rise above playing for five people in a coffeehouse and maybe affect more people on a bigger scale.

Our songs are full of our opinions. Some people will identify with them. Other people will be upset by them. That's the risk we take by picking up that guitar and starting to sing in front of other people. Did you think you were doing anything else when *you* play?

The news isn't full of Michael Jackson right now because he kept his opinions to himself. He wasn't the third biggest-selling artist in history because he kept his opinions to himself. I was never an MJ fan, and in many ways he's not what I'd consider a shining example to follow, but even I cannot deny the man's talent and ability to touch the lives and feelings of others.

As artists, how can we strive to reach for anything less? And how can we *not* support and defend the rights of others to do likewise?
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
PalmettoFins
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 17

Post by PalmettoFins »

While I miss the Dixie Chicks too, I feel that Natalie Maines should have known better than to make such an inflammatory comment overseas while our country (her country, too) was sending its troops to war, regardless of whether or not one agreed with the war, the reasons, the president, etc. I would feel the same way if Toby Keith said something of a similar nature about Barak Obama. No one argues with her right to say what she did or her right to express herself in any way she chooses. However, words do have consequences and in having the courage to express her views, she should have had the foresight to realize how that statement would play out back home in America among her fans, most of whom tend to be conservative and patriotic.
As far as Jimmy being a democrat, I have no problem with his political affiliation, but I do find it sad that he continues to support a party that has left so many Americans behind. Jimmy has stated that he is a lifelong democrat. Back when he was raised, the democratic party was a far different party than its current incarnation. The democrats used to support the common American, but beginning with LBJ, it has moved farther and farther to the left, now catering to and being driven by, special interest groups.
And back to the Dixie Chicks...how many times in recent memory has someone who has made a comment, that can be even remotely viewed as offensive, been mercilessly attacked and crucified by the far left via the media. Trent Lott comes to mind as does Don Imus. Does anyone seriously think that when Trent Lott said we'd be better off if Strom had been president, that he was reffering to his racist past? Or was he just making an off-the-cuff comment at an old man's party? Is Don Imus really a racist or was he making a satyrical mockery of the rap/hip-hop culture and its way of referring to women? Seems that freedom of speech only goes as far as it doesn't offend any group of people that have the power to destroy you.
The Remittance Man
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: I can only choose one?!

Post by The Remittance Man »

PalmettoFins wrote:While I miss the Dixie Chicks too, I feel that Natalie Maines should have known better than to make such an inflammatory comment overseas while our country (her country, too) was sending its troops to war, regardless of whether or not one agreed with the war, the reasons, the president, etc.
Opposing the president and the war are not at all the same as not supporting our troops. One could argue that people like Natalie Maines were the most patriotic of all for being willing to stand up for their true beliefs at a time when that was being seriously frowned upon.
PalmettoFins wrote: Does anyone seriously think that when Trent Lott said we'd be better off if Strom had been president, that he was reffering to his racist past?
I, for one, can't think of any other reasonable interpretation of what he said. Especially since he had said it at least twice before, among decades' worth of other racist comments, votes and affiliations.
谁他妈的偷了我的比萨周六晚上? 不要他妈的, 你最好把它找回来!
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

PalmettoFins wrote:While I miss the Dixie Chicks too, I feel that Natalie Maines should have known better than to make such an inflammatory comment overseas while our country (her country, too) was sending its troops to war, regardless of whether or not one agreed with the war, the reasons, the president, etc. I would feel the same way if Toby Keith said something of a similar nature about Barak Obama. No one argues with her right to say what she did or her right to express herself in any way she chooses. However, words do have consequences and in having the courage to express her views, she should have had the foresight to realize how that statement would play out back home in America among her fans, most of whom tend to be conservative and patriotic.
As far as Jimmy being a democrat, I have no problem with his political affiliation, but I do find it sad that he continues to support a party that has left so many Americans behind. Jimmy has stated that he is a lifelong democrat. Back when he was raised, the democratic party was a far different party than its current incarnation. The democrats used to support the common American, but beginning with LBJ, it has moved farther and farther to the left, now catering to and being driven by, special interest groups.
And back to the Dixie Chicks...how many times in recent memory has someone who has made a comment, that can be even remotely viewed as offensive, been mercilessly attacked and crucified by the far left via the media. Trent Lott comes to mind as does Don Imus. Does anyone seriously think that when Trent Lott said we'd be better off if Strom had been president, that he was reffering to his racist past? Or was he just making an off-the-cuff comment at an old man's party? Is Don Imus really a racist or was he making a satyrical mockery of the rap/hip-hop culture and its way of referring to women? Seems that freedom of speech only goes as far as it doesn't offend any group of people that have the power to destroy you.
I hate to tell you this, but you are wrong. LBJ was politically pragmatic. It was really during the second Nixon campaign that the party left the center and forgot the FDR coalition formula.
PalmettoFins
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by PalmettoFins »

The Remittance Man wrote:
PalmettoFins wrote:While I miss the Dixie Chicks too, I feel that Natalie Maines should have known better than to make such an inflammatory comment overseas while our country (her country, too) was sending its troops to war, regardless of whether or not one agreed with the war, the reasons, the president, etc.
Opposing the president and the war are not at all the same as not supporting our troops. One could argue that people like Natalie Maines were the most patriotic of all for being willing to stand up for their true beliefs at a time when that was being seriously frowned upon.

Patriotism is defined by Merriam-Webster as a love for one's country. How can Maine's claim to be patriotic when she attacks her country's president from a foreign country in such a hateful way when her country's troops are going into war? It doesn't matter who the president is or how much you disagree with him, the fact that she said what she said in front of a foreign audience is despicable in my opinion. Obviously, the majority of Americans agree with me.
PalmettoFins wrote: Does anyone seriously think that when Trent Lott said we'd be better off if Strom had been president, that he was reffering to his racist past?
I, for one, can't think of any other reasonable interpretation of what he said. Especially since he had said it at least twice before, among decades' worth of other racist comments, votes and affiliations.[/quot

Here's a reasonable interpretation: Lott was speaking off the cuff and said something at an old man's party. The fact that it happened to be Thurmond (with all his past racist comments, votes and affiliations) gave the liberals enough ammo to bring Lott down.
I am not defending Strom in any way for his past. But to think that Lott really meant that America would be better off had we stayed in a 1950's southern mentality, is a little bit of a stretch. I can't think for Lott, but considering the politics of personal destruction that is so prevalent these days, what is more likely?
Last edited by PalmettoFins on July 5, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PalmettoFins
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by PalmettoFins »

RinglingRingling wrote:
PalmettoFins wrote:While I miss the Dixie Chicks too, I feel that Natalie Maines should have known better than to make such an inflammatory comment overseas while our country (her country, too) was sending its troops to war, regardless of whether or not one agreed with the war, the reasons, the president, etc. I would feel the same way if Toby Keith said something of a similar nature about Barak Obama. No one argues with her right to say what she did or her right to express herself in any way she chooses. However, words do have consequences and in having the courage to express her views, she should have had the foresight to realize how that statement would play out back home in America among her fans, most of whom tend to be conservative and patriotic.
I hate to tell you this, but you are wrong. LBJ was politically pragmatic. It was really during the second Nixon campaign that the party left the center and forgot the FDR coalition formula.
I guess I am referring to the "Great Society." Isn't that when the welfare state was born? That, in my opinion, is when the democrats started leaving mainstream America behind.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

PalmettoFins wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
I guess I am referring to the "Great Society." Isn't that when the welfare state was born? That, in my opinion, is when the democrats started leaving mainstream America behind.
The Great Society also included a lot of Civil Rights legislation, and you can't deny that trying to bring Appalachia into the 19th century was a bad idea, given that the local governments were either unable or unwilling to do so. Unless you consider the better course of action to be ignoring those "common man" types.
PalmettoFins
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by PalmettoFins »

RinglingRingling wrote:
PalmettoFins wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
The Great Society also included a lot of Civil Rights legislation, and you can't deny that trying to bring Appalachia into the 19th century was a bad idea, given that the local governments were either unable or unwilling to do so. Unless you consider the better course of action to be ignoring those "common man" types.
Appalachia?

Not saying anything against the civil rights legislation from those days, but how has the welfare state that was born in the Great Society helped anyone, African-Americans included?