Keith Moon asked to perform at the Olympics

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jimsig
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 25

Keith Moon asked to perform at the Olympics

Post by jimsig »

Jim
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Re: Keith Moon asked to perform at the Olympics

Post by springparrot »

really???
:roll:

"I emailed back saying Keith now resides in Golders Green crematorium, having lived up to the Who's anthemic line 'I hope I die before I get old,'" Curbishley said. "If they have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."
:wink: :D
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Reminds me of someone who recently suggested that Ronnie Lane should join the Faces during their induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame this weekend. I guess they missed the news that Lane died from pneumonia in 1997 due to complications brought on from suffering from multiple sclerosis for the previous 21 years of his life.

There was also this article that Reuters ran late yesterday evening after news broke that Rod Stewart wouldn't be attending the induction ceremonies for the Faces. It's since been edited to correct the mistake.
In a joint statement with Stewart, Hall of Fame organizers said Faces will still play a short set at Saturday's ceremony with Simply Red's Mick Hucknall replacing Stewart on vocals for the band that in the 1970s scored hits such as "Stay With Me."

The other four members of Faces included Ron Wood, Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan, and they are all expected to attend and play.

Stewart becomes the second major star to bow out of this year's Rock Hall induction ceremony. Earlier this week, Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose declined his invitation to be inducted with his old band mates with whom he had long feuded.

Others being inducted into the Cleveland, Ohio-based institution include members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Beastie Boys, as well as singer-songwriter Donovan.

Stewart, 67, had already seen his life and career enshrined in the Rock Hall as a solo artist in 1994.
Last edited by Tiki Torches on April 14, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

it would be funny.. except for the fact that there are a bunch of those "old Guys" that we miss so..
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Says something about the current music scene when dead musicians and 60-70 yr old band members are asked to perform at major events and geezer groups are still able to sell out large venues.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Skibo wrote:Says something about the current music scene when dead musicians and 60-70 yr old band members are asked to perform at major events and geezer groups are still able to sell out large venues.
I don't think it says anything at all about the current music scene (which is alive and well and more vibrant than ever) but it says everything about folks that are so out of touch that they believe musicians like Moon and Lane to still be alive.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

The Keith Moon and Ronnie Lane incidents remind me of a couple of other recent stories such as people not realizing that the movie Titantic was based on actual events as well as people tweeting during the Grammys asking who Paul McCartney was. Seems like with access to information right at our fingertips that people wouldn't be so misinformed but it seems to be quite the opposite.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Tiki Torches wrote:The Keith Moon and Ronnie Lane incidents remind me of a couple of other recent stories such as people not realizing that the movie Titantic was based on actual events as well as people tweeting during the Grammys asking who Paul McCartney was. Seems like with access to information right at our fingertips that people wouldn't be so misinformed but it seems to be quite the opposite.
True story —
back when I used to work at the University I heard two of the students talking amongst themselves — and one of them actually said to the other, in a "can-you-believe-it?" tone of voice, "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Tiki Torches wrote:Seems like with access to information right at our fingertips that people wouldn't be so misinformed but it seems to be quite the opposite.
You're obviously talking about the internet and the wealth of information one can find through it. However, its universality and the ease of access to just about anyone with a computer is a large part of the problem. Just as an example: how many different versions of the Treyvon Martin incident have you seen to date?

I could probably create my own site on any current topic; post a mixture of facts, suggestions, theories, hypotheses, and outright lies; and within a week that information would probably have been picked up and cited as a 'reputable source' by someone else. Or even easier — just go to Wikipedia, which for better or worse has become the wired world's version of Encyclopaedia Britannica, and modify an existing article. Don't believe it? Just see what Wikipedia has to say about the song "American Pie". Over half the entry is devoted to the Madonna remake of the song!!

There is so much information out there, in various degrees of accuracy, being posted by so many different people with so many varying agendas who know that there is really no foolproof means of verification. As a result, any one single source is automatically suspect without additional investigation, corroboration, and support.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I agree. With the internet there seems to be just as much (if not more) access to misinformation as there is to accurate information. I still find it more than a bit baffling that someone would not know that the Titanic tragedy actually happened and was not just a movie. As for stuff like people tweeting about McCartney, I consider that a generational thing. In the case of someone thinking Keith Moon and Ronnie Lane are still alive, I believe that to be plain ignorance. Or in the case of the latter, the person that wrote the article for Reuters not doing the proper research.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

YOU MEAN IF IT'S ON THE INTERNET IT MAY NOT BE TRUE!!!!! *faints*
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.