Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

conched
Last Man Standing

Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Post by conched »

Listen here:
https://soundcloud.com/dualtone/cornmea ... re/s-Ezpa7

My Favorite Picture Of You Lyrics Guy Clark
1 Cornmeal Waltz
2 My Favorite Picture Of You
3 Hell Bent On A Heartache
4 El Coyote
5 Heroes
6 Rain In Durango
7 Good Advice
8 The Death Of Sis Draper
9 The Waltzing Fool
10 The High Price Of Inspiration
11 I’ll Show Me
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Re: Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Post by springparrot »

I love Cornmeal Waltz....reminds me on dancing with my Daddy.....
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably try to hold off until the 23rd of next month when it comes out but it's nice to now it's out there if'n I wanna give it a listen.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

springparrot wrote:I love Cornmeal Waltz....reminds me on dancing with my Daddy.....
Aw. Molly. That's so sweet.

He played High Price of Inspiration at Linden ... love it, too.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Thanks! Guy Clark is a rare artist whose new album you know is great even before its been released or heard.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Looking very forward to the new record dropping tomorrow. Great article that was posted on The Austin Chronicle website a few days ago:

We Were From Texas
Guy Clark and the high price of inspiration
BY DOUG FREEMAN

The Craftsman: Guy Clark in his Nashville workshop
PHOTO BY DOUG FREEMAN
Last edited by Tiki Torches on July 22, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

OOOO!! Can't wait to get home so I can listen. Pre-ordered the cd the minute it was on Amazon! :D

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Quite lovely!
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

I wish I had written that Austin Chronicle article. Very well done. Very, very well done.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

phjrsaunt wrote:OOOO!! Can't wait to get home so I can listen. Pre-ordered the cd the minute it was on Amazon! :D
on second thought (now that I'm home) I think I'll wait til I have the cd in hand. Then I can turn off phone and make it a "special occasion" to listen to the whole thing at once, kind of like when a new Buffett album comes out.

But it's so tempting! It's like having a Christmas present that you know you could unwrap the put it back together and put it back under the tree and get away with it. Nobody would know. Except you. Oh the agony! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

This ran today ... love me some Willie and Guy. Yes, I do.

http://www.myssnews.com/reviews/music-r ... e-cds.html
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:I wish I had written that Austin Chronicle article. Very well done. Very, very well done.
I don't always venture into the comments section but when I do, I find myself moved by comments such as the one below. Try as I might, I've never been able to adequately explain to people on this website why I'm drawn to the music of Guy Clark, Drive-By Truckers, James McMurtry, Whiskeytown, Nanci Griffith, Jerry Jeff, Waylon, Willie, etc. over the utter crap Nashville has been churning out on a regular basis since the 70's without my fellow board members feeling insulted. This comment speaks volumes.
Wonderful article about a unique talent. The tragedy of the content of the article is Guy Clark talking about financially not being able to move back to Texas. With his talent, body of work, endless touring and performing, he should be so wealthy he couldn't spend all his money before he dies. The music industry should be ashamed.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Tiki Torches wrote:
East Texas Parrothead wrote:I wish I had written that Austin Chronicle article. Very well done. Very, very well done.
I don't always venture into the comments section but when I do, I find myself moved by comments such as the one below. Try as I might, I've never been able to adequately explain to people on this website why I'm drawn to the music of Guy Clark, Drive-By Truckers, James McMurtry, Whiskeytown, Nanci Griffith, Jerry Jeff, Waylon, Willie, etc. over the utter crap Nashville has been churning out on a regular basis since the 70's without my fellow board members feeling insulted. This comment speaks volumes.
Wonderful article about a unique talent. The tragedy of the content of the article is Guy Clark talking about financially not being able to move back to Texas. With his talent, body of work, endless touring and performing, he should be so wealthy he couldn't spend all his money before he dies. The music industry should be ashamed.
wTTs.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Guy Clark, Music's Master Craftsman, On Making Songs Last
by MELISSA BLOCK

Born in Texas and settled in Nashville, Tenn., Guy Clark has mentored generations of artists, including Rodney Crowell, Lyle Lovett and Steve Earle — all of whom cite his keen editing skills and prize his stamp of approval.
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

I listened to this on the way home tonight and wished I had everyone's phone number to call them and tell them to listen! This was AWESOME!!!

Be sure to listen to the interview- [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I'm not sure of the year this was filmed but from the beard I'm guessing it was around the time of The South Coast of Texas (1981). Guy has also apparently very rarely toured with a full band. From the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas:

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Just got the CD in the mail today. I'm just going to come out and say it, GUY CLARK IS A SONGWRITER, everyone else just aspires to be one. I'm just in awe just how good this CD is.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

jbfinscj wrote:Just got the CD in the mail today. I'm just going to come out and say it, GUY CLARK IS A SONGWRITER, everyone else just aspires to be one. I'm just in awe just how good this CD is.
I picked up that last copy at a local record store on the way home. Great CD!

After listening to the story on NPR yesterday, I'm still feeling a little blue for Guy's decision not to further treat the Lymphoma he's been dealing with for a couple of years. I'm still taken buy Guy's words about being with Suzanna for 40 years.

There's a fire in your eyes
you've got your heart on your sleeve
a curse on your lips but all I can see
is beautiful

These lyrics really stand out, especially after hearing Guy tell Melissa Block you don't f#@k with Suzanna 8)
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by Bucarader »

Tiki Torches wrote: I don't always venture into the comments section but when I do, I find myself moved by comments such as the one below. Try as I might, I've never been able to adequately explain to people on this website why I'm drawn to the music of Guy Clark, Drive-By Truckers, James McMurtry, Whiskeytown, Nanci Griffith, Jerry Jeff, Waylon, Willie, etc. over the utter crap Nashville has been churning out on a regular basis since the 70's without my fellow board members feeling insulted. This comment speaks volumes.
I really couldn't have said this any better myself!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Bucarader wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote: I don't always venture into the comments section but when I do, I find myself moved by comments such as the one below. Try as I might, I've never been able to adequately explain to people on this website why I'm drawn to the music of Guy Clark, Drive-By Truckers, James McMurtry, Whiskeytown, Nanci Griffith, Jerry Jeff, Waylon, Willie, etc. over the utter crap Nashville has been churning out on a regular basis since the 70's without my fellow board members feeling insulted. This comment speaks volumes.
I really couldn't have said this any better myself!
What was that famous quote Steve once said? Something like, ”Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.” I might have to go over to Steve Earle's house in my sandals and say the same thing about Guy in relation to Townes. No offense to Townes, I love him but Guy Clark is someone I grew up listening to the point where Texas Cookin' became part of my DNA in the 70's. That sort of innate attraction to his music and songcraft has never let up since. Plus, like Prine, he's got a wicked ass since of humor.