"Buffett returns with lackluster album" — Michael McCall/AP

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

"Buffett returns with lackluster album" — Michael McCall/AP

Post by Bicycle Bill »

As seen on the Yahoo news feed: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/review-buf ... 49078.html

No personal axe to grind myself; I haven't heard the album so I am in no position to comment one way or the other.  Just posting this here to indicate that no matter who you are or what you do, you're not going to please everyone.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Re: "Buffett returns with lackluster album" — Michael McCall/AP

Post by Tiki Torches »

When the reviewer refers to "Too Drunk To Karaoke" as the best song on the album then I have to question the reviewer. Even Buffett has been quoted as saying he doesn't feel like it's the best song on the record.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Bicycle Bill wrote:As seen on the Yahoo news feed: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/review-buf ... 49078.html

No personal axe to grind myself; I haven't heard the album so I am in no position to comment one way or the other.  Just posting this here to indicate that no matter who you are or what you do, you're not going to please everyone.
-"BB"-
Well said bycicle Bill. Sure it's not my favorite Buffett album, but I don't hate it either. I've listened to it multiple times through and it has grown on me. "Tides" is my favorite song on the album and possibly in my top 10 of of ALL Buffett songs. Overall it will flow nicely in my floridays playlist on my iPod. I also think they did a great job with the cd booklet. Originally not a fan of the cover photo, I really like how they put it together.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I still think the cover of the album looks like something someone slapped together in less than five minutes and I find the album title to be uninspired and unoriginal. That said, I've liked a good deal of what I've heard from the album but for latter day Buffett I've learned to set my expectations pretty low.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I think sometimes we expect too much from an artist or album.
I remember as a teen I used to worship RunDMC and daydream about their next album and how it should sound.
Then it would come out and never live up to my expectations.
Some people just wanna hear Margaritaville type songs or others want more non island stuff.
I like a good mix of both and I think the album, save "I'm No Russian", is pretty solid, more-so than the last imo.
Maybe we can start a "Please stop rapping, Jimmy" petition. :D
There's some filler but imo it's listenable filler (ie "Diamond as Big As the Ritz" type stuff)
Speaking of, I think musically, this album has a sound from the Banana Wind/Barometer Soup era.
Karaoke has even grown on me. I find myself singing "Bad Street Atlanta GA" on the guitar lick during the verses.

And remember..You're never disappointed when you have

:D :D
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Tiki Torches wrote:I still think the cover of the album looks like something someone slapped together in less than five minutes and I find the album title to be uninspired and unoriginal. That said, I've liked a good deal of what I've heard from the album but for latter day Buffett I've learned to set my expectations pretty low.
The cover doesn't do much for me either. At least he got away from the "Jimmy leaning on something" trend of Far Side of the World, License to Chill and Take the Weather With You.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead

Post by jbfinscj »

sonofabeach wrote:I think sometimes we expect too much from an artist or album.
I remember as a teen I used to worship RunDMC and daydream about their next album and how it should sound.
Then it would come out and never live up to my expectations.
Some people just wanna hear Margaritaville type songs or others want more non island stuff.
I like a good mix of both and I think the album, save "I'm No Russian", is pretty solid, more-so than the last imo.
Maybe we can start a "Please stop rapping, Jimmy" petition. :D
There's some filler but imo it's listenable filler (ie "Diamond as Big As the Ritz" type stuff)
Speaking of, I think musically, this album has a sound from the Banana Wind/Barometer Soup era.
Karaoke has even grown on me. I find myself singing "Bad Street Atlanta GA" on the guitar lick during the verses.

And remember..You're never disappointed when you have

:D :D
Where can I find this "jimmy stop rapping" petition? :). Though I hate to admit I like the wrap on the song "overkill" off of the banana wind album. Your correct that people expect more out of their favorite artists. The problem is the sound that allowed us to fall in love with the artist in the first place has already been done and at one time was new and creative. It's very hard for an artist to artistically top their best work, some achieve it, while most don't. What jimmy Buffett has done well over the years is to create an empire thus achieving the American dream to the fullest extent. As long as we continue to buy his music, clothes, dine at his restaurants, etc...then I would say he has managed to continue to top his business model. The music purist out there will hate Buffett for this, but in his world he continues to do what he does best. I got a little off topic, but in the end everyone's definition of what's good and their expectations will always vary.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I didn't mind the majority of either Take the Weather With You or Buffet Hotel all that much but compared to his best works, which I consider to be his initial run on ABC/Dunhill in the early to mid-70's, they're very weak, as is the majority of his latter day output. There are artists from that era that are Buffett's contemporaries that are still putting out largely (if not all) original works that cause his albums to pale in comparison. It's very difficult to sustain a career for this long, much less being able to hit the high water marks again and again. Some manage to pull off late career masterpieces. Jimmy Buffett isn't one of them and and judging from Songs From St. Somewhere (which I like), he most likely never will. The days of his songwriting being mentioned in the same breath as Prine, Clark, Goodman, Walker, etc. has long since passed. Especially when he records crap like "Too Drunk To Karaoke" and "I'm No Russian", both of which are downright embarrassing.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Tiki Torches wrote: The days of his songwriting being mentioned in the same breath as Prine, Clark, Goodman, Walker, etc. has long since passed. Especially when he records crap like "Too Drunk To Karaoke" and "I'm No Russian," both of which are downright embarrassing.
wTTs.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

He should've gotten Jay Z or Eminem to do the rap on "I'm No Russian".
Hell, I'd settle for Colt Ford.
Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

sonofabeach wrote:He should've gotten Jay Z or Eminem to do the rap on "I'm No Russian".
He should have gotten Naughty by Nature to rap with him and then they could do a version of OPP. And then Larry would be happy.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

The Beatles should have stuck to the bubbly pop songs and cover tunes from the "Meet The Beatles" era. Everything after that was crap.

There. I said it.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Hockey Mon wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:He should've gotten Jay Z or Eminem to do the rap on "I'm No Russian".
He should have gotten Naughty by Nature to rap with him and then they could do a version of OPP. And then Larry would be happy.
Good idea. Those guys could probably use the work and they might even throw in a "donkey balls" reference for Larry.

surfpirate wrote:The Beatles should have stuck to the bubbly pop songs and cover tunes from the "Meet The Beatles" era. Everything after that was crap.

There. I said it.
I really did Laugh Out Loud there :lol: :lol:
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

If Buffett ever wanted to get really experimental and edgy with his rapping, he could front a hick-hop band. That would surely whip the Parrothead faithful into a frenzy and not in a good way.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

surfpirate wrote:The Beatles should have stuck to the bubbly pop songs and cover tunes from the "Meet The Beatles" era. Everything after that was crap.

There. I said it.
Thank you!! I have felt that way for years now. ;).

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

There. I said it.
When Buffett creates an album as worthy as Revolver, Rubber Soul, the White Album or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band then you can compare his career to that of the Beatles. For the record, I love both early and latter day Beatles. Whereas with Buffett, his level of creativity peaked a very long time ago. Songs From St. Somewhere isn't bad overall, especially compared to the records that have preceded it but it's a very long way from his best work. I'm just thankful Steve Goodman isn't around to hear utter sh*t like "Too Drunk To Karaoke". Or, maybe he was it would be a good thing, maybe he could slap some sense into Buffett.
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Or Anna Chapman, the hot Russian spy from a couple of years ago.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Tiki Torches wrote:

There. I said it.
When Buffett creates an album as worthy as Revolver, Rubber Soul, the White Album or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band then you can compare his career to that of the Beatles. For the record, I love both early and latter day Beatles. Whereas with Buffett, his level of creativity peaked a very long time ago. Songs From St. Somewhere isn't bad overall, especially compared to the records that have preceded it but it's a very long way from his best work. I'm just thankful Steve Goodman isn't around to hear utter sh*t like "Too Drunk To Karaoke". Or, maybe he was it would be a good thing, maybe he could slap some sense into Buffett.
Pretty sure "the" surfpirate was joking there tiki torches.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Speaking of early works, I prefer the surfpirate's earlier comic strips prior to what I like to call his "alphabits" period. I suggest you order the BN Critters book on amazon now to see what I'm referring to.

sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

I prefer the early version of The Drive-By Truckers Thread.....back when it was not so kind and gentle.