2014 NFL Season

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Re: 2014 NFL Season

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Me, I'm glad the Patriots got caught doing this. It's taken the media attention away from the horrific last 3 minutes of the Packers/Seahawks game.
Caught doing what?

What exactly happened? They played with under inflated footballs after they were inspected by league officials who then handled the same footballs they inspected and cleared throughout the 1st half. The Patriots then scored 27 unanswered points with footballs in the 2nd half that were ALSO cleared by the same officials.

Seems to me the league needs to do a better job of equipment regulation.
The league's mistake doesn't change the intent.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Should Mike Zimmer and/or Ron Rivera be suspended for illegally tampering with footballs during game play as well?

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... rs-vikings

I don't think so.

Should Terry Bradshaw give back his Super Bowl rings?

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2t ... nfl_teams/

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
Not necessary. They didn't get caught red-handed.
Rivera was caught in game. Or at least his personnel was. Don't get more red then that. There is even footage of it happening. Evidence. You've heard of that, right? So suspension? 1 year?
Sorry, didn't read the article you posted. I thought it'd be fun to debate the way you do, without actual facts to back me up. "Jason Varitek has the stats of a Hall Of Famer, while Ken Griffey, Jr. does not!"
But to answer your question, he should be penalized for getting caught. Not as much as the Patriots, because they have prior offenses, but yes!
Last edited by CaptainP on January 22, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:Me, I'm glad the Patriots got caught doing this. It's taken the media attention away from the horrific last 3 minutes of the Packers/Seahawks game.
Caught doing what?

What exactly happened? They played with under inflated footballs after they were inspected by league officials who then handled the same footballs they inspected and cleared throughout the 1st half. The Patriots then scored 27 unanswered points with footballs in the 2nd half that were ALSO cleared by the same officials.

As long as you all hold the Carolina Panther coaching staff to the same level of scrutiny we are good. Again, in game footage of that football tampering exists. Heating footballs! They should be kicked out of the NFL forever. Is there no justice.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Caught doing what?

As long as you all hold the Carolina Panther coaching staff to the same level of scrutiny we are good. Again, in game footage of that football tampering exists. Heating footballs! They should be kicked out of the NFL forever. Is there no justice.
Lets not stop there! They should have red-hot pokers shoved into uncomfortable places, too!!! Teach them to use heat to gain an advantage!!
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Should Mike Zimmer and/or Ron Rivera be suspended for illegally tampering with footballs during game play as well?

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
Rivera was caught in game. Or at least his personnel was. Don't get more red then that. There is even footage of it happening. Evidence. You've heard of that, right? So suspension? 1 year?
Sorry, didn't read the article you posted. I thought it'd be fun to debate the way you do, without actual facts to back me up. "Jason Varitek has the stats of a Hall Of Famer, while Ken Griffey, Jr. does not!"
But to answer your question, he should be penalized for getting caught. Not as much as the Patriots, because they have prior offenses, but yes!
Please give your facts about the Patriots. They played with under inflated footballs that were inspected and cleared by the league officials and . . . Facts not inferences or opinions. What you got?
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
Please give your facts about the Patriots. They played with under inflated footballs that were inspected and cleared by the league officials and . . . Facts not inferences or opinions. What you got?
The fact is, the footballs were legal when they went to the Patriots sidelines, and they were not legal by halftime.
Bring it.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Want more examples?
The fact is, the footballs were legal when they went to the Patriots sidelines, and they were not legal by halftime.
Bring it.
Or the officials never inspected them and are covering theirs as$es. Or someone not employed the Patriots messed with them. Who's to say? I don't know what happened and neither do you. I do know they were playing with footballs cleared by the league.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Bring it.
Or the officials never inspected them and are covering theirs as$es. Or someone not employed the Patriots messed with them. Who's to say? I don't know what happened and neither do you. I do know they were playing with footballs cleared by the league.
And that same league has since said that the balls were tampered with, while on the Patriot's sideline, during the first half.

The biggest joke of all of this is that the Patriots were going to win, and win big, anyway.
I compare it to the Watergate Scandal....Nixon was going to win that election. He wanted to win by more, so "his people" broke a few laws. Then got caught.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
Bring it.
And that same league has since said that the balls were tampered with, while on the Patriot's sideline, during the first half.

The biggest joke of all of this is that the Patriots were going to win, and win big, anyway.
I compare it to the Watergate Scandal....Nixon was going to win that election. He wanted to win by more, so "his people" broke a few laws. Then got caught.
Being serious . . . How? And yes "how" does matter. How many tv cameras, league cameras, internet streaming 360 degree view sideline cameras, 60,000 people all with cameras on their phones. I concede the footballs were messed with but the how and when intrigue me. Is there an answer to this magic and sorcery? This is why I think the officials never actually weighed them to begin with. THAT makes more sense than inferring someone could deflate 11 footballs to equal pressure on the sideline of an NFL playoff game without anyone seeing it. No f'n way. They wouldn't even try it.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

So my wonderful friend from Wisconsin stated, " It was pointed out to them by a Colts player AFTER intercepting a pass. Since each team uses their own balls, this was the first Colts player to have access to any of the balls."

Turns out: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-pressure

The referees, who supposedly checked the footballs before the game and cleared them, also didn't notice any change throughout almost the entire first half.

No one noticed anything. No one. Not even the people in charge of making sure the equipment being used is within league specifications. Where is the actual evidence that the Patriots were involved? Yes, the game was played with deflated footballs but, again, no one - not even the player who intercepted the pass from Tom Brady noticed anything?

We do have evidence of other team's coaches and personnel illegally tampering with footballs during game play:

Terry Bradshaw, who won four Super Bowls, admits in his book that he "after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier."

A couple pounds of pressure, huh, Terry!!!!!!! Give back those rings! Cheater. 8)

Brad Johnson: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs ... 37/2214490

We have actual evidence of those incidents.

To quote D'Qwell Jackson, the person Wisconsin chose to use as evidence, ""I wouldn't know how that could even be an advantage or a disadvantage," Jackson said. "I definitely wouldn't be able to tell if one ball had less pressure than another."

And to follow . . . "Jackson also said he holds no bitter feelings toward the Patriots -- nor does he feel his team was cheated -- if indeed New England deliberately deflated the footballs.

"It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game," Jackson said. "They outplayed us. We didn't match their intensity. I don't feel slighted at all personally. They created turnovers, they ran the ball on us. They won that game because of their intensity -- not the pressure of a football."
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

drunkpirate66 wrote:So my wonderful friend from Wisconsin stated, " It was pointed out to them by a Colts player AFTER intercepting a pass. Since each team uses their own balls, this was the first Colts player to have access to any of the balls."

The referees, who supposedly checked the footballs before the game and cleared them, also didn't notice any change throughout almost the entire first half.

No one noticed anything. No one. Not even the people in charge of making sure the equipment being used is within league specifications. Where is the actual evidence that the Patriots were involved? Yes, the game was played with deflated footballs but, again, no one - not even the player who intercepted the pass from Tom Brady noticed anything?

We do have evidence of other team's coaches and personnel illegally tampering with footballs during game play:

Terry Bradshaw, who won four Super Bowls, admits in his book that he "after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier."

A couple pounds of pressure, huh, Terry!!!!!!! Give back those rings! Cheater. 8)

To quote D'Qwell Jackson, the person Wisconsin chose to use as evidence, ""I wouldn't know how that could even be an advantage or a disadvantage," Jackson said. "I definitely wouldn't be able to tell if one ball had less pressure than another."

And to follow . . . "Jackson also said he holds no bitter feelings toward the Patriots -- nor does he feel his team was cheated -- if indeed New England deliberately deflated the footballs.

"It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game," Jackson said. "They outplayed us. We didn't match their intensity. I don't feel slighted at all personally. They created turnovers, they ran the ball on us. They won that game because of their intensity -- not the pressure of a football."
according to media reports , the Ravens tipped off the league about the balls , they were going to check them at half time anyways. I don't care either way , Colts weren't beating the Patriots in Foxboro. I just think it's funny , There problem is they got caught for cheating in the past , and they are labeled.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:So my wonderful friend from Wisconsin stated, " It was pointed out to them by a Colts player AFTER intercepting a pass. Since each team uses their own balls, this was the first Colts player to have access to any of the balls."

Fair enough. At the time I made my statement, the evidence being reported was that Jackson went to the officials. Turns out, he was asking the officials why they were checking. Seems that the team they beat in a CLOSE game last week actually suspected something and tipped off the refs this week. That point is interesting, isn't it? Another interesting point, you've been saying all along, "why didn't the referees notice?" Turns out, they did, according to this article.

But you keep ignoring one piece of information. There are 2 teams in the league who have been penalized in the last decade for blatant cheating, or something similar to cheating. One of those teams, the Patriots, has now been caught with doctored balls. They did something. Doesn't matter how it was done. Doesn't matter how much of a blowout it was. The Patriots ball supply was tainted, the Colts ball supply was still regulation. The intent is what matters.

Remember how Sean Peyton was suspended for something is DC did? Belichek is in charge, and this happened on his watch. I actually believe Belichek had nothing to do with this. But he's built a successful organization out of playing with the edges of the rules, and occasionally stepping over those edges. His subordinates will pick up on that slippery slope, and sometimes step over those edges themselves. Someone figured out a way to do this. Personally, after watching the press conferences, I believe Brady was involved, but can't prove it. And they got caught. Gooddell is very worried about integrity right now, so it'll be interesting to watch him twist in the wind over this one, because he knows he can't suspend anyone important going into the Super Bowl...so fines? But if it is only fines, it would just prove that cheaters can buy their way out of punishment. It's gonna be fun to watch the Ginger Ape as he figures out what to do this week.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:

Fair enough. At the time I made my statement, the evidence being reported was that Jackson went to the officials. Turns out, he was asking the officials why they were checking. Seems that the team they beat in a CLOSE game last week actually suspected something and tipped off the refs this week. That point is interesting, isn't it? Another interesting point, you've been saying all along, "why didn't the referees notice?" Turns out, they did, according to this article.

But you keep ignoring one piece of information. There are 2 teams in the league who have been penalized in the last decade for blatant cheating, or something similar to cheating. One of those teams, the Patriots, has now been caught with doctored balls. They did something. Doesn't matter how it was done. Doesn't matter how much of a blowout it was. The Patriots ball supply was tainted, the Colts ball supply was still regulation. The intent is what matters.

Remember how Sean Peyton was suspended for something is DC did? Belichek is in charge, and this happened on his watch. I actually believe Belichek had nothing to do with this. But he's built a successful organization out of playing with the edges of the rules, and occasionally stepping over those edges. His subordinates will pick up on that slippery slope, and sometimes step over those edges themselves. Someone figured out a way to do this. Personally, after watching the press conferences, I believe Brady was involved, but can't prove it. And they got caught. Gooddell is very worried about integrity right now, so it'll be interesting to watch him twist in the wind over this one, because he knows he can't suspend anyone important going into the Super Bowl...so fines? But if it is only fines, it would just prove that cheaters can buy their way out of punishment. It's gonna be fun to watch the Ginger Ape as he figures out what to do this week.
But I have given you evidence of other teams and players who have been caught cheating where there wasn't any penalty. All things being equal, Terry Bradshaw, a man who won four Super Bowls, should be given some sort of penalty. Should his Super Bowls be removed from record? Should his name be raked through the mud? Not only did he cheat in the exact same regard as the New England Patriots are being accused but he had the arrogance to write about it in his book!!!!! The man who has won more Super Bowls than any other QB in the history of the NFL (tied with Montana) f*cking wrote about it in detail and you don't think that matters? Are we being serious here? :lol: His nuts must be bigger than Brady's because he freely admitted he cheated!

Why is it when other teams or players cheat (I have given 4 - 5 examples here with factual evidence and I could give about a dozen more) there is minimal media attention, fan scrutiny, and penalty? Other teams can literally "heat" footballs on the sidelines during the game with everyone watching and no one cares! This happened this season! I am still waiting for your evidence about the Patriots. I haven't seen any yet. Again, I concede they played with balls that weren't inflated properly after they were cleared by the league.
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

the evidence is 11 of the 12 balls were deflated , if it was 1 ok , but 11. Jon , you are a smart person , 11 balls just don't deflate on there own. As for the other QB's you mentioned. They didn't get caught, Since spygate, Patriots will always be under the microscope. As for Belichik , Just like Peyton , he had to know something was up. Do I think a deflated ball gives that much of advantage , no , but if it's a rule of the game , then it should be followed, and if guilty, punished.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:

But I have given you evidence of other teams and players who have been caught cheating where there wasn't any penalty. All things being equal, Terry Bradshaw, a man who won four Super Bowls, should be given some sort of penalty. Should his Super Bowls be removed from record? Should his name be raked through the mud? Not only did he cheat in the exact same regard as the New England Patriots are being accused but he had the arrogance to write about it in his book!!!!! The man who has won more Super Bowls than any other QB in the history of the NFL (tied with Montana) f*cking wrote about it in detail and you don't think that matters? Are we being serious here? :lol: His nuts must be bigger than Brady's because he freely admitted he cheated! He wasn't caught in the act. By your reasoning, we should go back and present last week's NFC Championship game to the Packers because the Seahawks were lined up in illegal formation on the on-side kick they recovered. Patriots were caught in the act, with evidence. Bradshaw later claimed he did it, years after there was no way to do anything about it.

Why is it when other teams or players cheat (I have given 4 - 5 examples here with factual evidence and I could give about a dozen more) there is minimal media attention, fan scrutiny, and penalty? Other teams can literally "heat" footballs on the sidelines during the game with everyone watching and no one cares! This happened this season! I am still waiting for your evidence about the Patriots. I haven't seen any yet. Again, I concede they played with balls that weren't inflated properly after they were cleared by the league. Because they don't have prior violations for illegal videotaping. And the evidence is simple...underinflated balls on their sideline, normally inflated balls on the Colts sideline. Can't prove which person did it, but it sure looks like it happened while they were in possession of the balls in question.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Simple statement.

Cheating exists in the NFL. EVERY team, probably every game. If you get caught, be ready to face consequences. Patriots got caught. Now it's up to the Ginger Ape to try to save face during their biggest week of the year.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are

Post by drunkpirate66 »

CaptainP wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:
CaptainP wrote:

But I have given you evidence of other teams and players who have been caught cheating where there wasn't any penalty. All things being equal, Terry Bradshaw, a man who won four Super Bowls, should be given some sort of penalty. Should his Super Bowls be removed from record? Should his name be raked through the mud? Not only did he cheat in the exact same regard as the New England Patriots are being accused but he had the arrogance to write about it in his book!!!!! The man who has won more Super Bowls than any other QB in the history of the NFL (tied with Montana) f*cking wrote about it in detail and you don't think that matters? Are we being serious here? :lol: His nuts must be bigger than Brady's because he freely admitted he cheated! He wasn't caught in the act. By your reasoning, we should go back and present last week's NFC Championship game to the Packers because the Seahawks were lined up in illegal formation on the on-side kick they recovered. Patriots were caught in the act, with evidence. Bradshaw later claimed he did it, years after there was no way to do anything about it.

Why is it when other teams or players cheat (I have given 4 - 5 examples here with factual evidence and I could give about a dozen more) there is minimal media attention, fan scrutiny, and penalty? Other teams can literally "heat" footballs on the sidelines during the game with everyone watching and no one cares! This happened this season! I am still waiting for your evidence about the Patriots. I haven't seen any yet. Again, I concede they played with balls that weren't inflated properly after they were cleared by the league. Because they don't have prior violations for illegal videotaping. And the evidence is simple...underinflated balls on their sideline, normally inflated balls on the Colts sideline. Can't prove which person did it, but it sure looks like it happened while they were in possession of the balls in question.
You certainly pick your spots. A cheater is a cheater. I will hold Bradshaw to the same standard you hold the Patriots. The difference? Bradshaw admitted it. He admitted it arrogantly - like it was funny. Ha ha. I got away with it. You think that makes it okay? That he wasn't caught in the act. There is yet no evidence the Patriots did anything but play with footballs that were under inflated that were cleared by league officials. The NFL needs to put up or shut up. The NFL hasn't even talked to Tom Brady yet. :lol:
CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Funniest suggestion I've heard today:

NFL should dump Katy Perry as the halftime entertainment and replace her with Air Supply.