Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Jason Mason

How much do you know about Jimmy? There's probably something you don't know.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Post Reply
SwissArmyKnife
That's my life...
Posts: 1271
Joined: October 15, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Schoolboy Heart

Post by SwissArmyKnife » December 10, 2001 2:15 pm

I have noticed at least two references to a character named Jason Mason in Jimmys songs...

What is the origin of the character ?
Is it related to Mark Twains Equator book ?
Image

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Posts: 37094
Joined: October 19, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!
Location: Lovin' the NOW!

Post by phjrsaunt » April 17, 2005 8:50 pm

It's only three years or so after the question was asked, but does anyone know the answer?????? (I thirst for knowledge!) :D
Image

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
Image

land_shark3
Here We Are
Posts: 9804
Joined: April 6, 2004 4:03 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Halfway here or halfway gone?

Post by land_shark3 » April 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Maybe the BNer that goes by "Jason Mason" can shed some light.

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/profil ... ile&u=8959
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

tdparrothead
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3576
Joined: December 11, 2002 1:33 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: 400 miles from where I really wanna be...

Post by tdparrothead » April 17, 2005 10:14 pm

The only Mason I remember is the one who jumped in the sea in Nautical Wheelers.

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Posts: 30366
Joined: September 7, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10
Location: Middle of the Mitten

Post by nutmeg » April 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Wow auntie...you brought up some old names here. I jumped on the thread when I saw SAK's name....And I remember our previous JasonMason. When I joined the board he had the top post count.....
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

f2cdlzrd
License to Chill
Posts: 1462
Joined: February 6, 2003 1:40 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 27
Location: Asheville, NC

Post by f2cdlzrd » April 18, 2005 2:54 pm

From one of my favorite Buffett songs:

"Jason Mason hears the sound
The whistle blows in Congo town
And the mail boat's in, mail boat's in..."

~ That's What Living is to Me
ATLANTA - April 30, 2013

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5135
Joined: January 21, 2005 10:22 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Republics & Migration
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Hula Girl
Location: The Cobb Cloverleaf, GA
Contact:

Post by DonnaKayDunbar » June 10, 2005 2:19 am

Huh.
:lol:
Image

Jason Mason
At the Bama Breeze
Posts: 4110
Joined: February 23, 2005 9:22 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing The Cage and Fins
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes.
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post by Jason Mason » June 18, 2005 10:47 am

SwissArmyKnife wrote:I have noticed at least two references to a character named Jason Mason in Jimmys songs...

What is the origin of the character ?
Is it related to Mark Twains Equator book ?
Jason just owns you...
I still love old magazines and Snickers bars....

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill
Posts: 1476
Joined: December 26, 2004 1:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojitos in the desert
Location: cruising on my landing gear just "taxiing round SJD" NOT heading back to KSNA!

Post by Midnight Flyer » October 10, 2005 11:38 pm

SwissArmyKnife wrote:I have noticed at least two references to a character named Jason Mason in Jimmys songs...

What is the origin of the character ?
Is it related to Mark Twains Equator book ?
I see this has been here for a while but if anyone's still interested here is the answer to who Mason is. I don't know anything about Jason Mason.

Well, (in my best Cliff Claven voice) Swissy, Mason was actually a young woman. And a very attractive one I might add.

The line where she is mentioned is from Nautical Wheelers-"Sonia's just grinnin' and Phil is ecstatic, Mason has jumped in the sea and I'm hangin' on to a line from a sail boat oh Nautically Wheelers save me."

Eh, circa 1971, we had what was called the first Tequila Regatta. It was an odd obstical course where you had to run, swim, sail and drink shots of tequila along the way. Well, round about the third shot was the sailing portion of the challenge. You had to sail a small trimaran out to a little designated area and sail back. Mason was Jimmy's race mate because she was at the time his full time first mate, if you catch my drift. Now they were out in the middle of the harbor and the wind died. There's a good current out there and they were being swept out to sea. So Mason, being the resourceful woman that she was, took her clothes off and flagged down a passing shrimp boat. So when the shrimper came over to tow them in she had to jump in the water because she was naked!

Hence the line, "...Mason has jumped in the sea and I'm hangin' on to a line from a sail boat..."

As a post script, Sonia was Phil's girlfriend at the time and Phil was Phil Clark of whom "A Pirate Looks at Forty" was written.

I'll have to tell you about the entire Tequila Regatta sometime... :pirate: :roll:

So Swissy, that's it. Now let's saunter over to the Oar House and you can buy me a beer and we can listen to a few lies from the fine pholks over there. 8) :lol:
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."-MARK TWAIN

SwissArmyKnife
That's my life...
Posts: 1271
Joined: October 15, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Schoolboy Heart

Post by SwissArmyKnife » March 11, 2006 1:04 pm

Ouch...

Here I was searching for an old photo I uploaded several hundred margaritas ago and stumbled (no pun intended) onto MF's response to a question I had asked almost 5 years ago!

I definitely owe you a brew or two...

What an interesting story... would there be any pictures of that event :pirate:

Thank you MF (Belatedly) very much!

SAK
Image

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart » March 11, 2006 1:08 pm

SAK!!!!! :D :D :D

I saw your surfboards in a shop in Waikiki a couple of years ago. Thought it was yours, and the shop clerk thought I was a lunatic for asking then to take it down so I could look on the back. Sure enough, there was your sticker. :D
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SwissArmyKnife
That's my life...
Posts: 1271
Joined: October 15, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Schoolboy Heart

Post by SwissArmyKnife » March 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Helloooooo SGH!

Small world eh?

It cracks me up that we make the signs in Florida; ship them to Hawaii, where some one buys them ...

and brings them back to Florida :lol:

Let me know if you're headed to Japan anytime soon - I can direct you to a store there too!

No concert dates in FL yet... it truly is the end of the world tour isn't it?

SaK
Image

Cocktail Shrink
I have found me a home
Posts: 142
Joined: March 2, 2006 2:03 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Hendersonville NC
Contact:

Post by Cocktail Shrink » March 13, 2006 8:05 am

My 5 year old (Jason) was named from that song.We were all standing at the T,T&S tour and I had just found out I was having a boy.Someone suggested Jason Mason and about 20 seconds later Buffett started playing the song. It was settled.

(Before him came his sisters,Coral and Marlee.)
"Saving the world.....one drunk at a time"

nvparrothead
I have found me a home
Posts: 120
Joined: January 16, 2006 12:09 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Sin City

Post by nvparrothead » March 16, 2006 4:57 pm

Thanks for clearin up that story Flyer. Sounds like you were there for the Key West days. Must have been a wild ride :)
Image
-------------------------------------
Tonight I just need my guitar.
-------------------------------------

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill
Posts: 1476
Joined: December 26, 2004 1:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojitos in the desert
Location: cruising on my landing gear just "taxiing round SJD" NOT heading back to KSNA!

Post by Midnight Flyer » March 19, 2006 1:49 pm

I'll take the fifth on that...of tequila! :wink: :pirate: 8)
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."-MARK TWAIN

Courtnay
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: March 3, 2019 11:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 2

Re: Jason Mason

Post by Courtnay » March 4, 2019 9:45 pm

I know these posts are super old but I saw someone asking about Mason from Nautical Wheeler's, and she was defiantly a "she" She was my mother, her name was Lea but they called her Mason from the Mason jars she would drink from. And she was Phil's girlfriend.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 21985
Joined: December 18, 2008 12:19 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re:

Post by lime rickie » March 5, 2019 9:11 am

Midnight Flyer wrote:
October 10, 2005 11:38 pm
SwissArmyKnife wrote:I have noticed at least two references to a character named Jason Mason in Jimmys songs...

What is the origin of the character ?
Is it related to Mark Twains Equator book ?
I see this has been here for a while but if anyone's still interested here is the answer to who Mason is. I don't know anything about Jason Mason.

Well, (in my best Cliff Claven voice) Swissy, Mason was actually a young woman. And a very attractive one I might add.

The line where she is mentioned is from Nautical Wheelers-"Sonia's just grinnin' and Phil is ecstatic, Mason has jumped in the sea and I'm hangin' on to a line from a sail boat oh Nautically Wheelers save me."

Eh, circa 1971, we had what was called the first Tequila Regatta. It was an odd obstical course where you had to run, swim, sail and drink shots of tequila along the way. Well, round about the third shot was the sailing portion of the challenge. You had to sail a small trimaran out to a little designated area and sail back. Mason was Jimmy's race mate because she was at the time his full time first mate, if you catch my drift. Now they were out in the middle of the harbor and the wind died. There's a good current out there and they were being swept out to sea. So Mason, being the resourceful woman that she was, took her clothes off and flagged down a passing shrimp boat. So when the shrimper came over to tow them in she had to jump in the water because she was naked!

Hence the line, "...Mason has jumped in the sea and I'm hangin' on to a line from a sail boat..."

As a post script, Sonia was Phil's girlfriend at the time and Phil was Phil Clark of whom "A Pirate Looks at Forty" was written.

I'll have to tell you about the entire Tequila Regatta sometime... :pirate: :roll:

So Swissy, that's it. Now let's saunter over to the Oar House and you can buy me a beer and we can listen to a few lies from the fine pholks over there. 8) :lol:
I love this story. :wench:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Image

dnw
Last Man Standing
Posts: 38240
Joined: March 3, 2004 6:50 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: South Georgia

Re: Jason Mason

Post by dnw » March 6, 2019 9:17 am

Courtnay wrote:
March 4, 2019 9:45 pm
I know these posts are super old but I saw someone asking about Mason from Nautical Wheeler's, and she was defiantly a "she" She was my mother, her name was Lea but they called her Mason from the Mason jars she would drink from. And she was Phil's girlfriend.

Awesome! She sounds like a fun person.
Image


Debbie

Post Reply