HEALTHY LIVING

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

3/4 Time
Living & Dying in 3/4 time
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: HEALTHY LIVING

Post by 3/4 Time »

I'm lost in here @ BN, it's been so long! I've been a slacker, not even lurking. But hey, I'm alive and well after 47 years of type one diabetes with minimal complications. I couldn't have done that w/o healthy living. I have a vice, or two or three, but so far, so good. I think playing the drums and harp regularly and staying active is the key for me and relieves the dreaded stress monster. Of course that involves a large shot of Elijah Craig & a beer on jam nights so who knows! Later gators!
Keep America Beautiful
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

Ugh! I am sooo frustrated! I pushed myself too hard in hot, humid weather, depleted my electrolytes, added too much weight to my bar, and strained some muscles. I have a painful spasm below my ribs on the left side, and an aching back torso. Have been to two doctors, am now on muscle relaxer and the occasional percocet. Not sleeping more than 4 hours at night. And it could take weeks to heal (well, it's already been two weeks :o )

It seems that I am not as athletic at 58 as I was at 38!! So now no exercise until I feel better, and I am very skittish about going back to the weights, although I know I should for the good of my bones. Hoping to start back in September with a gentle yoga class, then I will see from there. Until then, as soon as this pain stops being so bad that I have to plan my day around it, I will be walking as my only workout.

Feeling discouraged. [smilie=notimpressed.gif]
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

sistergoldenhair wrote:Ugh! I am sooo frustrated! I pushed myself too hard in hot, humid weather, depleted my electrolytes, added too much weight to my bar, and strained some muscles. I have a painful spasm below my ribs on the left side, and an aching back torso. Have been to two doctors, am now on muscle relaxer and the occasional percocet. Not sleeping more than 4 hours at night. And it could take weeks to heal (well, it's already been two weeks :o )

It seems that I am not as athletic at 58 as I was at 38!! So now no exercise until I feel better, and I am very skittish about going back to the weights, although I know I should for the good of my bones. Hoping to start back in September with a gentle yoga class, then I will see from there. Until then, as soon as this pain stops being so bad that I have to plan my day around it, I will be walking as my only workout.

(((Colleen)))

~~/)~~/)~~/)~~
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

sistergoldenhair wrote:Ugh! I am sooo frustrated! I pushed myself too hard in hot, humid weather, depleted my electrolytes, added too much weight to my bar, and strained some muscles. I have a painful spasm below my ribs on the left side, and an aching back torso. Have been to two doctors, am now on muscle relaxer and the occasional percocet. Not sleeping more than 4 hours at night. And it could take weeks to heal (well, it's already been two weeks :o )

(((sista)))

At least you only strained & didn't hear. No surgery right? Just your body telling you 'not so much' so listen to it! Start back slow & take it very easy til then. We need you at Pitt :wink:
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

tailgaitingph wrote:

(((sista)))

At least you only strained & didn't hear. No surgery right? Just your body telling you 'not so much' so listen to it! Start back slow & take it very easy til then. We need you at Pitt :wink:
Okay baby girl! Thx for the words of wisdom!
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

lime rickie wrote:

(((Colleen)))

~~/)~~/)~~/)~~
Hug LIGHTLY! Thanks Nan! [smilie=loopyblonde-blinking.gif]
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

sistergoldenhair wrote:
lime rickie wrote:

(((Colleen)))

~~/)~~/)~~/)~~
Hug LIGHTLY! Thanks Nan! [smilie=loopyblonde-blinking.gif]
Can you swim? That seems low impact.

johnson2113
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy, Bourbon & Branch, Bloody Mary

Post by johnson2113 »

Dr.Corona wrote:
johnson2113 wrote:Not a day goes by without me thinking about this thread.

I feel like if I don't make in progress, I should post here. I've gotten down to the 170's and barely been over the 180's. Run, run, run.

This year hasn't exactly panned out as I expected but I haven't gotten over the 190's.

As far as diet goes. Just look at something and say I don't need it, I don't want it. Right now I'm not exactly doing things the way the should be done, but I'm just on the edge. After next week, I will be my absolute best, the best I can ever be. I have no excuse for next week, but I just plan on being to busy to worry about anything else.
What ticks me off is a short-term lack of determination blows a whole day....wash...rinse....repeat. Although I realize it's NOT really about short-term screw ups. It's about lifestyle changes. Tell that to my thick skull ! :-? :roll:
Preach it, Doc!
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

sistergoldenhair wrote:Ugh! I am sooo frustrated! I pushed myself too hard in hot, humid weather, depleted my electrolytes, added too much weight to my bar, and strained some muscles. I have a painful spasm below my ribs on the left side, and an aching back torso. Have been to two doctors, am now on muscle relaxer and the occasional percocet. Not sleeping more than 4 hours at night. Ansd it could take weeks to heal (well, it's already been two weeks :o )

This is where I was, discouraged was a polite way I felt.

I had dropped all the weight. I spent more than a year in a rut. I went to the gym I was paying for and paid way too much to higher a personal trainer to help me reach my goals. That was a joke and a waste of money.

I spent at least another year or two in another rut. I finally just started at the beginning again. I started slow and easy. One step at a time, one day at a time. I progressed slowly and increased day over day, week over week, month over month.

Like Bob said, "Baby stepping around the office."

I haven't run a 5K in over two years at least and that sucks! My running pace is the best it has ever been. I don't even run 5Ks anymore because I run so fast now, they end too soon. I would just love to get out and run one because I can do it faster than I ever have.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I started running a lot of 5ks last year, but it's deathly hot out right now, so I'm giving running a rest till fall. I hurt my foot running and need to give it a rest anyway. The only time I run now is at 5ks, mainly cause my friends are there and we have a blast.
I just got a free week at a gym near me and have been trying it out. I think I'm gonna join. They have a lot of classes, including zumba and body sculpting. I did one of their zumba classes last night and it was hardcore beast mode. I loved it. That's what has worked for me and it's fun for me since I like to dance. It seems like every time that I lose weight, it lasts about 2 or 3 years. I'm determined to not let that happen this time. I just get complacent and less disciplined and it slowly creeps back. You'd think I would not need motivation since I know how miserable I was when fat, lookwise and more importantly heathwise.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

Hey all of you fitness freaks! Well, it took four weeks, but I am about 80% healed from the abdominal, back and torso spasms that I gave myself by acting like I am 38 instead of 58. Lesson learned. It is so wonderful just to feel good and be able to function in my daily life. I am grateful that the injury happened in the summer instead of the school year, b/c I would have missed about three weeks, possibly four, of work. I am taking it easy until September, than I am going to start in a gentle yoga class. I am walking for fitness until then.

The most ironic part of the whole sh*tshow -- all spring I was working out and eating healthy, trying to lose about ten pounds. The scale would NOT budge. Then I got hurt, and the pain was so bad that I lost my appetite, and lost 8 pounds. Go figure. :o

So don't overdo it, don't punish your body. Get a healthy amount of exercise which is appropriate to your ability, and stay away from pre-packaged food, preservatives, and additives! DRINK lots of water, and honor your body, even if it's not perfect! Namaste, baby!
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

This winter has been brutal. Have not been able to do anything outside, snow and if it's not snow, it's melted snow, then mud, then Ice, then more snow. The last time I ran outdoors was technically an indoor run. I looked ahead and it looks like, finally, temperatures are going to improve and maybe I can get out for some workouts. I've only missed two workouts since the new year began. One run and two resistance.

It's been too cold and miserable to get out to Bub's basketball games, and Ryanne has had two horse riding competitions cancelled. All this year winter has been worth is running on the treadmill and I'm pushing my limit on that, and learning new photoshop techniques and learning more about shooting video. I really want to put some videos together, that's been really cool.

Persistance, perseverance, pushing myself to my absolute limit has paid off. After reaching 199lbs lost and plateauing, backsliding a bit, getting down to 209lbs lost I have pushed through the hardest plateau I have faced. Wednesday morning I woke up and weighed 161lbs. Two hundred twenty-three pounds lost, I'm just getting better and stronger and faster.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4805/473 ... 7245_o.jpg
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Wow! Johnson, what a very long way you have come. Congratulations!
When I got the notifications in my email I was amazed. Haven’t been on BN in forever. It’s good to see it’s still alive. Off to cruise the threads...
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

Salukulady wrote: March 17, 2019 2:08 am Wow! Johnson, what a very long way you have come. Congratulations!
When I got the notifications in my email I was amazed. Haven’t been on BN in forever. It’s good to see it’s still alive. Off to cruise the threads...
Thank you!

Every form of social media that has taken over, versus the forums is bad, nothing is important, nothing last more than a couple of hours, BN is important, it was one of the first places I can remember visiting when we first got the internet.

I appreciate all the compliments and comments I've gotten since I posted these pictures, but it means a lot more here.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

How did I miss this update? Congratulations, Jerred!

And don't forget to keep us updated on Bub and Ryanne.

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

johnson2113 wrote: May 15, 2019 12:48 pm
Salukulady wrote: March 17, 2019 2:08 am Wow! Johnson, what a very long way you have come. Congratulations!
Thank you!

Every form of social media that has taken over, versus the forums is bad, nothing is important, nothing last more than a couple of hours, BN is important, it was one of the first places I can remember visiting when we first got the internet.

I appreciate all the compliments and comments I've gotten since I posted these pictures, but it means a lot more here.

Always Great to see & hear about such success stories!! [smilie=thatworks.gif]
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

Dr.Corona wrote: May 16, 2019 9:21 am
johnson2113 wrote: May 15, 2019 12:48 pm
Thank you!

Always Great to see & hear about such success stories!! [smilie=thatworks.gif]
Thank you Dr.!
johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

lime rickie wrote: May 15, 2019 2:51 pm How did I miss this update? Congratulations, Jerred!

And don't forget to keep us updated on Bub and Ryanne.
LOL I will do a big update, because IT IS SUNDAY, and I am processing a half a set of pictures and we are not playing right now. I hate to tease, but I will post a big Ravens update in the Off Topic Area, because it needs it own post, and we have a BIG road game this year, not across the state line, because we have already done that, but all the way to Omaha, it is very exciting, during Bub's birthday, and he will be playing a major road game, he can't wait, oh and by the way Bub will be going into JUNIOR HIGH, next year.

Miss Ryanne, Big Boss Lady Ryanne, has supposed to have some horse riding competitions that haven been cancelled by the miserable weather. She is doing incredible with those beasts, I really wish she could compete, but she is hanging in there with the rest of the siblings fighting the weather. On and upside, SHE did catch a fish the other day that destroyed all of our lures. She is the animal whisperer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

johnson2113 wrote: May 19, 2019 12:51 pm oh and by the way Bub will be going into JUNIOR HIGH, next year.
Wow! These BN babies grow so fast!

bestazy
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Volcano

Post by bestazy »

Great topic!
You are hero 8)
I was 250 pounds. Currently 140.

It was calorie counting, plain and simple and planner for meal prepping. No special diets. No particularly heavy exercise. I just watched what I ate. Lost 110 lbs in about a year and a half.
Last edited by bestazy on September 20, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.