Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

San Diego & Los Angeles

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Post Reply
tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 4, 2019 5:24 pm

Hey guys! Last minute shout out but...
Headed to San Diego on Wed for 4 days then renting a car to drive up the coast to Los Angeles where we will fly out Nov 16th.
Going there with a friend who I travel with frequently and she is up for anything!
We plan to hit several Diner, Drive-in, & Dives restaurants and the tourist spots (Coronado Island, Hollywood sign - if we can see it through the smoke, Rodeo Dr, etc) but I always like to hear from you guys of any bars/restaurants to patron (or not) and any other must see/do things in the areas or along the way.
Neither of us have ever been to the West Coast & are super excited so any & all info is much appreciated!!
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 21992
Joined: December 18, 2008 12:19 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by lime rickie » November 4, 2019 6:08 pm

Lucky you. *jealous*

Highly recommend Hotel Del Coronado. Some Like it Hot was filmed there.

Get a beach-facing room, the Navy seals train on the beach out front at 6:00am.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 62970
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by LIPH » November 4, 2019 7:30 pm

Go to the San Diego Zoo. The Broken Yolk Cafe was a good breakfast spot. Nice little sports bar called Bub's at the Ballpark which, surprisingly enough, is just a few blocks from the ballpark where the San Diego Padres play. You can find some nice bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp District, or Gaslamp Quarter, whatever they call it.

I've never been to L.A., can't help there.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 174457
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by SMLCHNG » November 4, 2019 9:51 pm

Nothing fancy, but this was a good pizza place in San Diego. :D DDD was here, too.

https://pizzerialuigi.com/

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 174457
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by SMLCHNG » November 4, 2019 9:54 pm

The place where "Top Gun" was filmed. And the food is good!!

https://kcbbq.net/

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 174457
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by SMLCHNG » November 4, 2019 9:59 pm

Last time we went, we stayed at the Best Western Island Palms, on Shelter Island. Loved the place. :D

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 5, 2019 7:40 pm

lime rickie wrote:
November 4, 2019 6:08 pm
Lucky you. *jealous*

Highly recommend Hotel Del Coronado. Some Like it Hot was filmed there.

Get a beach-facing room, the Navy seals train on the beach out front at 6:00am.
Thanks Lime! This will be my last (planned) trip of the year.
We are staying in the Gaslamp area but will def have to check out the Coronado beach area if we can make it up that early :lol:
Would love to see the Seals training & I hope to at least check out the hotel!
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 5, 2019 7:52 pm

LIPH wrote:
November 4, 2019 7:30 pm
Go to the San Diego Zoo. The Broken Yolk Cafe was a good breakfast spot. Nice little sports bar called Bub's at the Ballpark which, surprisingly enough, is just a few blocks from the ballpark where the San Diego Padres play. You can find some nice bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp District, or Gaslamp Quarter, whatever they call it.

I've never been to L.A., can't help there.
Hadn't thought about the zoo but if if you say so, I'll see if we can fit it in.
Like the menu at Broken Yolk maybe we can try it.
We are staying in Gaslamp area & Bub's is only about a 5 min walk from the hotel & I like that they have grilled wings!
Thank you!
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 5, 2019 7:57 pm

SMLCHNG wrote:
November 4, 2019 9:54 pm
The place where "Top Gun" was filmed. And the food is good!!

https://kcbbq.net/
Oh man, Top Gun is 1 of my top 5 movies. The pics from their website look cool too - will def add this to the list!
We both love pizza & Pizzeria Luigi is pretty close as well so they are in for a top late night contender :lol:

Thank you!
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 5, 2019 8:08 pm

LIPH wrote:
November 4, 2019 7:30 pm
Go to the San Diego Zoo. The Broken Yolk Cafe was a good breakfast spot. Nice little sports bar called Bub's at the Ballpark which, surprisingly enough, is just a few blocks from the ballpark where the San Diego Padres play. You can find some nice bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp District, or Gaslamp Quarter, whatever they call it.

I've never been to L.A., can't help there.
Any breweries you can recommend? We are doing brewery tours with a shuttle to Ballast Point, Bolt, Karl Strauss & Resident.
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 21992
Joined: December 18, 2008 12:19 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by lime rickie » November 5, 2019 8:23 pm

tailgaitingph wrote:
November 5, 2019 7:40 pm
lime rickie wrote:
November 4, 2019 6:08 pm
Lucky you. *jealous*

Highly recommend Hotel Del Coronado. Some Like it Hot was filmed there.

Get a beach-facing room, the Navy seals train on the beach out front at 6:00am.
Thanks Lime! This will be my last (planned) trip of the year.
We are staying in the Gaslamp area but will def have to check out the Coronado beach area if we can make it up that early :lol:
Would love to see the Seals training & I hope to at least check out the hotel!
Fantastic restaurants all around Gas Lamp. You won't starve.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Image

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 174457
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by SMLCHNG » November 5, 2019 8:48 pm

tailgaitingph wrote:
November 5, 2019 8:08 pm
Any breweries you can recommend? We are doing brewery tours with a shuttle to Ballast Point, Bolt, Karl Strauss & Resident.
Stone Brewing!!!!! Beautiful place, and great beer. North of San Diego. :)

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 5, 2019 8:56 pm

SMLCHNG wrote:
November 5, 2019 8:48 pm
tailgaitingph wrote:
November 5, 2019 8:08 pm
Any breweries you can recommend? We are doing brewery tours with a shuttle to Ballast Point, Bolt, Karl Strauss & Resident.
Stone Brewing!!!!! Beautiful place, and great beer. North of San Diego. :)
Awesome, thanks!!
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 62970
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by LIPH » November 5, 2019 9:31 pm

tailgaitingph wrote:
November 5, 2019 8:08 pm
LIPH wrote:
November 4, 2019 7:30 pm
Go to the San Diego Zoo. The Broken Yolk Cafe was a good breakfast spot. Nice little sports bar called Bub's at the Ballpark which, surprisingly enough, is just a few blocks from the ballpark where the San Diego Padres play. You can find some nice bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp District, or Gaslamp Quarter, whatever they call it.

I've never been to L.A., can't help there.
Any breweries you can recommend? We are doing brewery tours with a shuttle to Ballast Point, Bolt, Karl Strauss & Resident.
I didn't go to any breweries when I was there. One thing I remember was every bar and restaurant we went to had mostly craft beer, not too many big brewery beers.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 12473
Joined: May 5, 2010 11:14 am
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY
Location: "Amish" country, PA

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by Saltx3 » November 6, 2019 2:45 pm

blah blah blah......(this is me being jealous but not letting you know that)
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5099
Joined: January 1, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by dean_siu » November 6, 2019 5:21 pm

Forget SoCal.....hope in a car and drive to Vegas. Lot more fun to be had here!
Image

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 6, 2019 6:24 pm

Saltx3 wrote:
November 6, 2019 2:45 pm
blah blah blah......(this is me being jealous but not letting you know that)
💕💕💕

I hear nothing [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 11, 2008 8:27 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by tailgaitingph » November 6, 2019 6:26 pm

We've gone to 2 of 4 breweries so far. Have a retired cop driving 18 of us around in a 20 passenger van :pirate:
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 174457
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: San Diego & Los Angeles

Post by SMLCHNG » November 6, 2019 9:20 pm

tailgaitingph wrote:
November 6, 2019 6:26 pm
We've gone to 2 of 4 breweries so far. Have a retired cop driving 18 of us around in a 20 passenger van :pirate:
:D :D :D

Post Reply