Jukebox WED. @ the MSC

Chat with other Parrotheads about dis and dat.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Jukebox WED. @ the MSC

Post by Saltx3 »

Good Morning Everyone!

Today is National Juke Box Day. (are there even any more of these around)?

On the day before gathering around the turkey, gather around the nearest jukebox to celebrate National Jukebox Day! As Americans flock to their hometowns for Thanksgiving, many will head out to neighborhood bars and restaurants. They’ll catch up with friends and family and celebrate by playing great songs on their local jukebox.
The name jukebox is thought to originate from places called ‘juke houses’ or ‘jook joints.’ In the early 1900s, people congregated in these establishments to drink and listen to music. In 1889, Louis Glass and his partner William S. Arnold invented the first coin-operated player in San Francisco. They were both managers of the Pacific Phonograph Co. Formally known as the nickel-in-the-slot machine, the player included a coin operation feature on an Edison phonograph. However, it played a limited selection of songs without any amplification.

hroughout history, the jukebox continued to evolve with the times. When recording artists first crooned into microphones and cut records into vinyl, an aspiring inventor in a Chicago music store worked nights to build a box that would play both sides of the record. While the Blue Grass Boys played to sold-out audiences in the Grand Ole Opry, guys and gals danced the night away by playing their song over and over again on the jukebox at a local pub. With the advancement of technology, today’s jukebox is more versatile than ever before. Touchscreen interfaces respond to the swipe of a finger (or can even be controlled by a mobile app). A vast virtual library of songs includes back catalog jukebox heroes alongside top artists of today.
Throughout each era – from big band and jazz, country and blues to rock & roll, acoustic and electric and everything in between— the jukebox has played it all.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Jukebox WED. @ the MSC

Post by dnw »

Good morning, Linda and BN! Happy Wednesday! :D

Debbie
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Good morning Linda and Deb! :) E and I are off to that work place. Have a good Wednesday! :D
bodypainter
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: whatever I get as a tip(no JELLO)

Post by bodypainter »

Good morning Linda and Debbie. I liked the individual table models that allowed me to flip through the selection while waiting for food.
If I wasn't fishing in this all day rain,I'd be home doing something stupid.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Good morning, Pen and Bill! Happy Wednesday! :D

Debbie
melon59
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the island.
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Margaritas

Post by melon59 »

Happy Hump Day and Thanksgiving Eve. Dreary and windy here today, back to the flower shop.We are hoping to get done early today. I will be up late doing my baking. 2 pumpkin pies, 1 coffee cake and an Apple Cranberry Cake for Bryan. He's not a pumpkin pie fan. Have a great day everyone!!! 😊😊😊
You're Killing Me Smalls
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Good Morning BN'ers out there!! Happy Thanksgiving Day Eve!!
Juke Boxes....what a wonderful blast from the past!! As a music lover could empty A LOT of quarters in those things. Question was always whether or not I'd stick around to hear all my plays. :wink:
Busy day here at the workplace, prepping for the coveted 4 day weekend (fingers crossed)!!
Enjoy your day Gang! 8)
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Good morning. It's supposed to be 75 degrees today, I might not have to wear pants.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Good morning BN. Woke up to 75 this morning, looking at mid 70's and sunny until Sunday. The snow sure is pretty......on TV.
It's only 10am and I've already had 7 junk phone calls, I'd turn off the phone if I wasn't expecting a couple important calls.
Back to livin' Floridays
Saltx3

Post by Saltx3 »

Crazy Navy Flyer wrote: November 27, 2019 11:03 am Good morning BN. Woke up to 75 this morning, looking at mid 70's and sunny until Sunday. The snow sure is pretty......on TV.
It's only 10am and I've already had 7 junk phone calls, I'd turn off the phone if I wasn't expecting a couple important calls.
Like from the Iranian Prince [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
Saltx3

Post by Saltx3 »

LIPH wrote: November 27, 2019 9:42 am Good morning. It's supposed to be 75 degrees today, I might not have to wear pants.
Kevin & I are not planning to wear pants from this Friday until next Friday (not due to our weather, but that in Key West) :)
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
nycfeat
Changing Channels

Post by nycfeat »

Morning, BN. Was listening to the news radio before heading to work. Some highlights: T-day eve travel (on scene at Newark Airport), Duke University basketball loss, weather (and balloons).

Have a good one.
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

Afternoon BNers

Larry and I took a friend to the new In N Out in Katy for lunch. OMG. Talk about a madhouse. But they train the staff to be efficient. The drive thru was at least 1/2 mile long and the dine in line was out the door but we were eating in about 20 min. It was good as usual.

I finished the cheese ball and got the casserole cookies ready to take tomorrow. There should be 7 kids and 10 adults. I'm sure my sil has been cooking for days. ❤
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

nycfeat wrote: November 27, 2019 1:51 pm Morning, BN. Was listening to the news radio before heading to work. Some highlights: T-day eve travel (on scene at Newark Airport), Duke University basketball loss, weather (and balloons).

Have a good one.
Duke was beat by Stephen F Austin...a smaller school in Huntsville TX. I know they are excited.
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

Hi All,

Can I come out yet?

Sheesh, after the comment I made the other day about a line of storms heading our way for the second day, well we got hammered (and not in the good tequila and rum sense of hammered). I don't like getting hit with damaging storms two days in a row.

About an hour and a half after that post we had cyclonic winds, torrential rain, trees down all over the place. Power went out at 1 PM Tuesday and finally came back a couple of hours ago (early Thursday morning).

I've been cleaning up, tending the generator, moving portable solar panels, charging batteries, monitoring freezers and fridges pretty much ever since.

The best part is about two weeks ago I discovered my emergency generator had decided that it needed a holiday - at the start of the recent and ongoing bushfire crisis, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new generator from eBay. It arrived last week.

Needless to say, the generator got pressed into service and did sterling service.

I found that I could run an upright freezer, two full size fridges and charge various batteries all at once. The trick was to stagger the start up of each of the big devices. It couldn't handle the start up current for all three at once.

I ran it for about three hours for the first run then left everything overnight. Ran it for two hours, off for two hours, ran for 1 hour (once I had all three fridges together), off two hours, on 1 hour, etc.

Didn't really miss a beat and probably used about three or four litres of fuel.

All in all it passed it's first test.

Forecast is for continuing hot weather, bushfire smoke and unstable weather (read that as storms). We are going away for the weekend, but now I am in two minds about that...
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land

Rabbitz wrote: November 27, 2019 4:03 pm Hi All,

Can I come out yet?

Sheesh, after the comment I made the other day about a line of storms heading our way for the second day, well we got hammered (and not in the good tequila and rum sense of hammered). I don't like getting hit with damaging storms two days in a row.

About an hour and a half after that post we had cyclonic winds, torrential rain, trees down all over the place. Power went out at 1 PM Tuesday and finally came back a couple of hours ago (early Thursday morning).

I've been cleaning up, tending the generator, moving portable solar panels, charging batteries, monitoring freezers and fridges pretty much ever since.

The best part is about two weeks ago I discovered my emergency generator had decided that it needed a holiday - at the start of the recent and ongoing bushfire crisis, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new generator from eBay. It arrived last week.

Needless to say, the generator got pressed into service and did sterling service.

I found that I could run an upright freezer, two full size fridges and charge various batteries all at once. The trick was to stagger the start up of each of the big devices. It couldn't handle the start up current for all three at once.

I ran it for about three hours for the first run then left everything overnight. Ran it for two hours, off for two hours, ran for 1 hour (once I had all three fridges together), off two hours, on 1 hour, etc.

Didn't really miss a beat and probably used about three or four litres of fuel.

All in all it passed it's first test.

Forecast is for continuing hot weather, bushfire smoke and unstable weather (read that as storms). We are going away for the weekend, but now I am in two minds about that...
Tell me about this generator, I have a Generac 6500 but would be nice to have something to handle more after a hurricane and no power for a week.
Back to livin' Floridays
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

This is the generator:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adventure-K ... 2749.l2649

(That is an AU store and Adventure Kings is an Australian brand name - they brand generic items)

It is a 2kVA lightweight machine, of Chinese heritage so I guess someone in the US would distribute them.
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

springparrot wrote: November 27, 2019 3:54 pm
nycfeat wrote: November 27, 2019 1:51 pm Morning, BN. Was listening to the news radio before heading to work. Some highlights: T-day eve travel (on scene at Newark Airport), Duke University basketball loss, weather (and balloons).

Have a good one.
Duke was beat by Stephen F Austin...a smaller school in Huntsville TX. I know they are excited.
I read on ESPN that Duke had won 150 consecutive home games against non-conference opponents. The last non-Atlantic Coast Conference team to beat them at home was St. John's, way back in February, 2000. St. John's is one of the many schools I attended in my misspent youth. :lol:
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land

Rabbitz wrote: November 27, 2019 4:32 pm This is the generator:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adventure-K ... 2749.l2649

(That is an AU store and Adventure Kings is an Australian brand name - they brand generic items)

It is a 2kVA lightweight machine, of Chinese heritage so I guess someone in the US would distribute them.
Thanks!
Back to livin' Floridays
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

So much for 75 degrees and no pants. The temperature never made it out of the 60s and it was overcast, damp (but no rain) and nasty all day. It felt like fall weather, like it's supposed to be the last week in November.