Jokelben 2.0 update *Important Info*

Trade bootlegs and get help recording shows

Moderator: SMLCHNG

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Jokelben 2.0 update *Important Info*

Post by urlcenter »

Back on May 30th I posted an update to inform all users here that both Jokelben servers, 2.0 and 2.1 had been locked down due to the servers bandwidth being exceeded on both servers.

Jokelben 2.1 became accessible again on June 11 while 2.0 remained locked down.

Jokelben 2.0 became accessible this week after being unavailable for a month, however in just a short time it was locked down again. The server currently holds approximately 565 GB of both audio and video recordings and the server has a 2 terabyte per month download limitation. What this means is that in the short time the 2.0 server was back up more than 2 terabytes of downloading occurred, which is 4 times the total size of the server.

This not the first time that jokelben 2.0 has been locked in fact as of today it is fourth time since December 2019.

Just so everyone is aware how many times the servers have been locked down here is the current tally as of today:

Jokelben 2.0 locked down 4 times
Jokelben 2.1 locked down 1 time

In my May 30 post I referred this excessive level of downloading as "binge" downloading offered a reminder about the file sizes on the jokelben server I am reposting that reminder here:

All of the audio recordings are in MP3 format with most if not all of the concert recordings are less than 200 MB is size but downloading multiple shows at one time can add up to a very large download which in turn effects the bandwith limits of the servers.

Most of the video recordings are in large MP4 format and each video file can range in size from 2.5 GB to as much as 5 GB in size downloading multiple video recordings at single time results in a VERY large download which in turn effects the bandwith limits of the servers.

Sunlover is aware of the excessive downloading and not happy about it as he is paying for the file hosting at pCloud where the servers are located. As I a stated above this is now the fourth time jokelben 2.0 has been locked down. Aside from not being able to download from the server, Sunlover is locked out as well and cannot check on the servers contents or upload any of the Margaritaville TV concert replays he has captured.

This post is not an accusation against member here on BN or anyone else who downloads from the server. However hogging the servers bandwidth does a disservice to everyone who wants to enjoy the audio and video recordings on the server. This also creates a headache for Sunlover who cannot access a service he is paying for so that we can all enjoy it.

If anyone has any questions about the servers or downloading from them, please feel free to post them here in this forum and Sunlover or I will be more than happy to assist.

Again the servers are a provided for all Parrotheads to use and enjoy responsibly
PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Re: Jokelben 2.0 update *Important Info*

Post by PeretHed66 »

Makes me wonder if there is a way to throttle it per user or maybe it's possible to add another layer of security of some sort - I'm just spitballing here. Or maybe, as much as it sucks, users need to pay a small monthly fee to access. Again, just throwing stuff out there; it really chaps my a$$ when people abuse something like this.

Or maybe, since they're so big, discontinue the videos. Seems like the audio would be more popular and "useful" (for lack of a better word) than the video, given their small size and portability across mobile devices.

This really p*** me off, because it's such a great resource, and having captured and edited some stuff using Audacity myself, I know much work goes into making those into mp3's.
More Doyle!
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

Both servers are now accessible again.

Everyone enjoy them and do not over indulge in downloading remember as Jimmy himself has said:

Moderation is the Key!
SunLover
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SunLover »

Urlcenter is correct. Both servers are currently available. I did change the password for Jokelben 2.0 (the original server), so please make sure you copy the correct password from the Server Info page.
PeretHed66 wrote: June 20, 2020 5:11 pm Makes me wonder if there is a way to throttle it per user or maybe it's possible to add another layer of security of some sort - I'm just spitballing here. Or maybe, as much as it sucks, users need to pay a small monthly fee to access.
There is no way to throttle or limit users with this setup. Since the server access is a single logon and password, there is no way to know who downloads what shows at any given time. The individual logons only apply to the portal page at https://jokelben.com/

I don't want to get into charging for access since that gets risky when dealing with this content and may increase the risk of getting a takedown notice. I have never had the exchange of money for any shows, either on Jokeben or the FTP, and never plan on it, even with ads on the portal page, for example. Besides, the extra money could not go to getting extra bandwidth credit.

On a related note, it has happened to a youtube user who had a lot of live videos on his page. They received a takedown request from Margaritaville to shut down his channel. With youtube, you know that videos can be monetized.

As far as security, I have just started checking into file encryption, which the end user would have to decrypt after downloading. It would be an extra step for the user and I still need to do some more research and tests for that.
PeretHed66 wrote: June 20, 2020 5:11 pm Or maybe, since they're so big, discontinue the videos. Seems like the audio would be more popular and "useful" (for lack of a better word) than the video, given their small size and portability across mobile devices.
As far as the videos go, I thought about maybe cycling out old and newer videos instead of having all the video content available all the time. For the mp3 files of full shows, I am looking into creating zip archives of these, so the user can download a full show in a couple clicks and it would discourage audio streaming, which also eats into bandwidth.

This setup has a lot of storage space and 4TB of monthly download bandwidth between the two servers, Realistically, there is no reason why they should be maxed out if people get only the shows they really want (shows they went to, special shows like the KW setlist show, etc).

Thanks for the suggestions!
PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Post by PeretHed66 »

Thanks for answering, I appreciate it! Keep up the great work.
More Doyle!