Every Album Ranked!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Wonder Why We Ever Go Home
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita!

Every Album Ranked!

Post by Phinn »

We all saw what Spin Magzine thinks....

I think this list is better and I feel we should have some official Buffettnews album ranking!

What do you think?

(Spin's number)

*I am ranking what I feel are front-to-back albums. Who gets the skip button the least…..

31(27). Down to Earth (1970)
30(18). High Cumberland Jubilee (1976)
29(26). Don’t Stop the Carnival (1998)
28(22). Riddles in the Sand (1984)
27(32). Somewhere Over China (1982)
26(24). ‘Tis The SeaSon (2016)
25(25). Christmas Island (1996)
24(15). Last Mango in Paris (1985)
23(31). Hot Water (1988)
22(29). Floridays (1986)
21(23). Off To See the Lizard (1989)
20(10). License To Chill (2004)
19(16). Buffet Hotel (2009)
18(13). Coconut Telegraph (1981)
17(9). One Particular Harbor (1983)
16(28). Barometer Soup (1995)
15(19). Beach House on the Moon (1999)
14(21). Far Side of the World (2002)
13(17). Life on the Flip Side (2020)
12(8). Take the Weather With You (2006)
11(3). Son of a Son of a Sailor (1978)
10(4). Havana Daydreamin’ (1976)
9(7). A1A (1974)
8(5). Volcano (1979)
7(20). Songs From St. Somewhere (2013)
6(11). Living and Dying in ¾ Time (1974)
5(12). Equal Strain on All Parts (2023)
4(30). Banana Wind (1996)
3(6). Fruitcakes (1994)
2(2). A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean (1973)
1(1). Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes (1977)

?(14). Songs You Don’t Know by Heart (2020) > Does this count? If so, so should SYKBH, the box set, and live discs. So I am leaving this out.
Phinns Up!
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Re: Every Album Ranked!

Post by Caribbean Soul »

Sorry... but ranking Buffett albums is like playing favorites among your children!
Some days one will seem better than the other(s) only to change position the next day. :lol:
I guess it all depends upon moods - theirs and mine!
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Phinn »

Caribbean Soul wrote: November 21, 2023 4:09 pm Sorry... but ranking Buffett albums is like playing favorites among your children!
Some days one will seem better than the other(s) only to change position the next day. :lol:
I get that point of view…but…it would be more fun if you played!
Phinns Up!
jedivet
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: VooDoo

Post by jedivet »

I agree it can vary, and albums are hard to pick, as sometimes a favorite song is on a weak album, etc.

BUT:

For me, there is no contest. It's A1A in the top spot. I don't have to think about it for a second.

Side B of A1A is the strongest natural lineup of Buffett songs that has ever occurred in my opinion.

This is something where everyone will have very individualized tastes, and that's okay. Love what you love, with no shame. For me, that's A1A.

One that is very high on my personal list but ranked low on the one posted on the front page is Floridays.
...I come down to talk to me...when the coast is clear...
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Phinn »

jedivet wrote: November 21, 2023 8:29 pm I agree it can vary, and albums are hard to pick, as sometimes a favorite song is on a weak album, etc.

BUT:

For me, there is no contest. It's A1A in the top spot. I don't have to think about it for a second.

Side B of A1A is the strongest natural lineup of Buffett songs that has ever occurred in my opinion.

This is something where everyone will have very individualized tastes, and that's okay. Love what you love, with no shame. For me, that's A1A.

One that is very high on my personal list but ranked low on the one posted on the front page is Floridays.
I was thinking maybe A1A was a bit low on my list. Your are 100% right on that B side! Massive Buffett hit after another!
Phinns Up!
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Phinn »

Phinn wrote: November 21, 2023 8:57 pm
jedivet wrote: November 21, 2023 8:29 pm I agree it can vary, and albums are hard to pick, as sometimes a favorite song is on a weak album, etc.

BUT:

I was thinking maybe A1A was a bit low on my list. Your are 100% right on that B side! Massive Buffett hit after another!
I should have both A1A and 3/4 above Fruitcakes.
Phinns Up!
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Caribbean Soul wrote: November 21, 2023 4:09 pm Sorry... but ranking Buffett albums is like playing favorites among your children!
I absolutely agree.

I don't think it's possible that anyone can agree on how to rank the music.
jedivet
License to Chill

Post by jedivet »

Phinn wrote: November 21, 2023 9:03 pm
Phinn wrote: November 21, 2023 8:57 pm

BUT:

I should have both A1A and 3/4 above Fruitcakes.
I didn't have time or inclination to try to rank them all. Like has been said, that's impossible. (I do applaud your efforts!) But yes. For Come Monday alone, Living and Dying in 3/4 Time should rank high. Plus, what a great title. But that's like Changes being so high in the original list. That's because of Margaritaville, which I could never listen to again and be perfectly happy. It's a skipped song for me. CILCIA (the song) is also strong, but no more so than other standouts on other albums. But yeah. It's impossible to rank them.

That said, I'm sticking with A1A.

And Fruitcakes is solid. Love in the Library, Lone Palm, Quietly Making Noise - solid. Though I skip Sunny Afternoon. Every album has one.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

This may sound a little weird, but I think that Don't Stop the Carnival is one of the best examples of his writing ability. If you never read the book you really should. He made each of those characters come alive. It is impressive.

And Barometer Soup is also extremely well written.

He was a story teller.

God I miss him.
"Some people never find it..."
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

jbfins wrote: November 22, 2023 1:41 pm This may sound a little weird, but I think that Don't Stop the Carnival is one of the best examples of his writing ability. If you never read the book you really should. He made each of those characters come alive. It is impressive.

He was a story teller.

God I miss him.
It is not weird at all... for your criteria of picking a "listen straight through" album this was the first one that came to mind! :wink:
And FTR, as I said above, I can switch the order up a lot depending upon my mood... but honestly, anytime I do, I think A1A comes out on top.
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99
jedivet
License to Chill

Post by jedivet »

jbfins wrote: November 22, 2023 1:41 pm This may sound a little weird, but I think that Don't Stop the Carnival is one of the best examples of his writing ability. If you never read the book you really should. He made each of those characters come alive. It is impressive.

He was a story teller.

God I miss him.
Not weird at all. It's a story, so...yeah. And Jimmy was a lyrical storyteller, first and foremost. The music was fine, but it was the words that did it for me. Oof. Past tense there just hit me a bit.
Caribbean Soul wrote: November 22, 2023 2:09 pm It is not weird at all... for your criteria of picking a "listen straight through" album this was the first one that came to mind! :wink:
And FTR, as I said above, I can switch the order up a lot depending upon my mood... but honestly, anytime I do, I think A1A comes out on top.
Yup. Agreed on the not weird, as I said above. And that's me too. Others can change, but A1A is constant as the northern star. ;)
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

Exactly! I 100% agree.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

Amen!
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)