Vegas was terrible

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

fins2thenorth
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 0

Vegas was terrible

Post by fins2thenorth »

Vegas was our 23rd show for my wife and my self also our first post COVID. We have been parrotheads for 19 years and started our local parrothead club. What we saw and heard tonight was terrible at best. It was the worst feeling leaving that show as I felt like I saw a living funeral. His lyrics were off timed and missed. The rhythm from the whole band was off. If it wasn’t for a great opener and Mac the night would have been a complete waste. It’s so hard for me to say this as chef and restaurateur of 16 years but it might be time to hang up the flip flops before his music gets run into the ground with the Margaritaville restaurants.
Laid Back and Key waisted

June 23rd Post Gazette Pittsburgh (hampton inn airport)
July 26th Riverbend Cincinatti (embassy suites riverfront)

September 2nd The razor Boston (double tree Bay side)

GO IRISH !!!
tomdeb1986
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Any beach drink

Re: Vegas was terrible

Post by tomdeb1986 »

Fins2thenorth yours is the first real negative opinion that I have read of last night's concert. I didn't get to listen as I was busy but the majority of the comments I have read from Parrotheads have been very positive.
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

tomdeb1986 wrote: March 5, 2023 12:58 pm Fins2thenorth yours is the first real negative opinion that I have read of last night's concert. I didn't get to listen as I was busy but the majority of the comments I have read from Parrotheads have been very positive.
Same! I did listen, with a group of friends & we all thought the show was great/normal! It did seem a little short - but nothing like he was phoning it in. Will only speak for my Phlock...but we will take Bubba for as long as are blessed enough to get him. Def on the down hill run.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
ComoxParrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 14
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my swiss army knife.

Post by ComoxParrothead »

C4Parrothead wrote: March 5, 2023 6:10 pm
tomdeb1986 wrote: March 5, 2023 12:58 pm Fins2thenorth yours is the first real negative opinion that I have read of last night's concert. I didn't get to listen as I was busy but the majority of the comments I have read from Parrotheads have been very positive.
Same! I did listen, with a group of friends & we all thought the show was great/normal! It did seem a little short - but nothing like he was phoning it in. Will only speak for my Phlock...but we will take Bubba for as long as are blessed enough to get him. Def on the down hill run.
I thought it was a little shorter than in past years too. 3 or 4 songs shorter. I get it... he is 76 but still a little disappointing. With that being said, I will still see him as long as he is willing to perform :D . Keep going Jimmy!!!
"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane!!!"
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

IMO he needs to change up the show. At 75 he can't keep up with this style show anymore. This has become evident the last couple years.

Scale down the band, grab a bar stool and tell stories and sing deep tracks.

Play a 12-15 song set and get back to focusing as a songwriter and artist. Guy Clark did this at the end and it was amazing.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

JImmy's show on Saturday night had just 21 songs due to the length of Scotty Emerick's opening set which seems to run for close to 30 minutes and includes six songs. Jimmy's normal setlist for his show has any from 25 to 28 songs on average, Saturday's setlist was one song shorter then the setlist for the 02/15/23 show in Hollywood, FL. In fact the show in Las Vegas was the shortest show on the 2023 tour thus far:

Key West 02/04/03 - 25 songs
Key West 02/06/23 - 24 songs
Key West 02/09/23 - 24 songs
Key West 02/11/23 - 24 songs
Hollywood Fl 02/15/23 - 22 songs
Las Vegas 03/04/23 - 21 songs
N928J
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 99

Post by N928J »

I have to agree with the OP, the show was not good. I cringed at the end of Cheeseburger in Paradise when Jimmy said they forgot the same tired opening skit with "The Flying Utley's", and then proceeded to do the "I like mine.....". Listen to the audio replay when it's on Jokelben, it was way off.
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

FinsUp6835 wrote: March 6, 2023 9:46 am IMO he needs to change up the show. At 75 he can't keep up with this style show anymore. This has become evident the last couple years.

Scale down the band, grab a bar stool and tell stories and sing deep tracks.

Play a 12-15 song set and get back to focusing as a songwriter and artist. Guy Clark did this at the end and it was amazing.
I'm leaning toward this camp and I think my wife has been feeling this way for about 10 years now.

I totally understand Jimmy's stance on playing a concert for first-timers, and all that includes. But, for as long as he's been doing it, what percentage of concert-goers are first timers now? I doubt it's more than 20%. You get what you get, with other big touring acts.

I really get excited about the rarities and solo acoustic encores, which have become even more rare the past few tours. So, yes, my ideal experience would be Beach Band->Bar Stool songs with a few non-cheesy stories mixed in if Jimmy is so inclined. I would pay top dollar for this.

The list of songs I could really do without is getting much longer these days...covers/collaborations dominate it.

Sorry, end rant. I still love his music and stories, but I think many of us are searching for something simpler, and more honed.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
MDShark70
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

I kind of get where this is coming from. I was fortunate enough to see one of the shows in Key West which was just so special. Although I had really hoped he'd do Blue Heaven Rendezvous. But 80+% of the shows now are so predictable. Even Mac's Little Martha is getting old when he's got so much other stuff he could do if Jimmy needs a break.

But at the end of the day he decides how it's going to go down. I'm ok with that. I've enjoyed the hell out of his music over the years, have so many fantastic memories of shows, tailgates and roadtrips and have met people from all over the country who have become true friends. I owe that to Jimmy so I'll gladly take what I can get to keep the train rolling for as long as it can.

When this is truly over we'll all think back and marvel at what an incredible ride it's been and how Jimmy and his music brought so many people together and how special it all was.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

MDShark70 wrote: March 7, 2023 2:41 pm I kind of get where this is coming from. I was fortunate enough to see one of the shows in Key West which was just so special. Although I had really hoped he'd do Blue Heaven Rendezvous. But 80+% of the shows now are so predictable. Even Mac's Little Martha is getting old when he's got so much other stuff he could do if Jimmy needs a break.

But at the end of the day he decides how it's going to go down. I'm ok with that. I've enjoyed the hell out of his music over the years, have so many fantastic memories of shows, tailgates and roadtrips and have met people from all over the country who have become true friends. I owe that to Jimmy so I'll gladly take what I can get to keep the train rolling for as long as it can.

When this is truly over we'll all think back and marvel at what an incredible ride it's been and how Jimmy and his music brought so many people together and how special it all was.
We’ll said x3 😊
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
SharkysMV1
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

Saltx3 wrote: March 7, 2023 4:57 pm
MDShark70 wrote: March 7, 2023 2:41 pm I kind of get where this is coming from. I was fortunate enough to see one of the shows in Key West which was just so special. Although I had really hoped he'd do Blue Heaven Rendezvous. But 80+% of the shows now are so predictable. Even Mac's Little Martha is getting old when he's got so much other stuff he could do if Jimmy needs a break.

We’ll said x3 😊
Agreed; MDShark70 put it much better than I did. Perhaps I came off a bit strong. I'm going to remind myself that it's still very early in the 2023 tour and Jimmy has had quite a few months off. I'm sure they will sound like a well-oiled machine this summer!
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
spadilly
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason...
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Ginger Beer!

Post by spadilly »

At this point, I’m just hoping for a tour of any kind. With each day that goes by without new dates being announced, I’m less and less confident he’s going to do a summer tour. I hope I’m wrong and my plate of crow gets served to me soon.
Houston 4/21/08, 5/20/10, 12/6/10, 5/5/11, 5/29/14, 5/28/15, 6/4/16, 6/8/17, 6/1/19, 6/4/22
Tampa 4/25/09
Frisco 5/21/11, 5/4/13
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

We’ll said x3 😊
I agree with all this but would also love some intimate shows with stories and rarities, and pay top dollar. I really thought the Key West shows would have had more of those.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

lime rickie wrote: March 7, 2023 5:56 pm

We’ll said x3 😊
I agree with all this but would also love some intimate shows with stories and rarities, and pay top dollar. I really thought the Key West shows would have had more of those.
At the first show at the Key West Theater, Jimmy and the band played then entire White Sport Coat album during the first half of the show
Martyritaville
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Martyritaville »

urlcenter wrote: March 6, 2023 12:56 pm JImmy's show on Saturday night had just 21 songs due to the length of Scotty Emerick's opening set which seems to run for close to 30 minutes and includes six songs. Jimmy's normal setlist for his show has any from 25 to 28 songs on average, Saturday's setlist was one song shorter then the setlist for the 02/15/23 show in Hollywood, FL. In fact the show in Las Vegas was the shortest show on the 2023 tour thus far:

Key West 02/04/03 - 25 songs
Key West 02/06/23 - 24 songs
Key West 02/09/23 - 24 songs
Key West 02/11/23 - 24 songs
Hollywood Fl 02/15/23 - 22 songs
Las Vegas 03/04/23 - 21 songs
Thanks for the perspective! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
A most mysterious calling harbour
So far, but yet, so near
Where I see the day
When my hair's full gray
and I finally...disappear. BUT NOT YET!!

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

The guy is getting older and so are members of the band. But I don't think he'll ever stop or change it up what he does.

The entire Margaritaville empire is based on him and him alone. I don't think he's got the staying power of Elvis, Marley, Hendrix... Once he is done, I think M'ville will have a really hard time getting new investors and the brand will fade away. I figure I am one of the younger Parrortheads (47 years old). I bridge the gap between you GOP's and the Partyheads and there are not many of me. (Trust me, I look around at the shows and see almost no one my age).

Will I go to a M'ville Hotel in 10 - 15 years. Nope. Will I go on some silly cruise? Nope.

And if I am not going to be spending my dollars, I doubt people younger than me are going to.

So he's got to get it while the getting is good. Setlists, sound quality and overall energy be damned. And I do not blame him one bit.
"Some people never find it..."
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

jbfins wrote: March 11, 2023 3:20 pm The guy is getting older and so are members of the band. But I don't think he'll ever stop or change it up what he does.

The entire Margaritaville empire is based on him and him alone. I don't think he's got the staying power of Elvis, Marley, Hendrix... Once he is done, I think M'ville will have a really hard time getting new investors and the brand will fade away. I figure I am one of the younger Parrortheads (47 years old). I bridge the gap between you GOP's and the Partyheads and there are not many of me. (Trust me, I look around at the shows and see almost no one my age).

Will I go to a M'ville Hotel in 10 - 15 years. Nope. Will I go on some silly cruise? Nope.

And if I am not going to be spending my dollars, I doubt people younger than me are going to.

So he's got to get it while the getting is good. Setlists, sound quality and overall energy be damned. And I do not blame him one bit.
I’m 46 and couldn’t agree with this post more. I’ve traveled a lot see Jimmy live. I’ve explored Key West and St. Barths and other places based on his time in those places and subsequent lyrics in his songs. I’ve been fortunate enough to see him play at the Chicken Box on Nantucket. Jimmy’s music has influenced my life more then any other musician ever has and I can confidently say ever will.

But some day when it’s over . . . (Not Yet!!!) I won’t eat at Margaritaville resorts or take cruises or live in condos of that brand. No way. No f*cling way. I don’t think Jimmy would, either.

I will, however, continue to live the lifestyle of a Parrothead based on those lyrics that motivate me to explore new places meet interesting people. I still haven’t shaken the hand of the mango man at the border, yet. Yet!!!!
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

lime rickie wrote: March 7, 2023 5:56 pmI agree with all this but would also love some intimate shows with stories and rarities, and pay top dollar. I really thought the Key West shows would have had more of those.
The Key West setlists included Migration, Havana Daydreamin' and Cuban Crime of Passion, all of which aren't played all that often.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

One of the greatest posts I've ever read on BN. Very well said. I'm just hoping to hear both Lage Nom Ai and Manana one more time each before it truly is all over.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

drunkpirate66 wrote: March 11, 2023 11:27 pmJimmy’s music has influenced my life more than any other musician ever has and I can confidently say ever will.
I would pretty much agree with that statement- Buffett's music has influenced my life more than any other individual singer/songwriter. But in terms of overall bands, the Beatles would clearly have to be in the conversation as well for most influential.