Jimmy a Christian?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

sunseeker
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Favorite Buffett Song: That's what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Mostly water these days

Post by sunseeker »

Ceol na Mara wrote:If, as they say, actions speak louder than words, I think Jimmy is a lot more Christian than a lot of people who think they are.
You are so right Ceol!!!

Also, I hate to bring up more controversy, but I have a pheeling that their will be more then just Christians in heaven.....or the afterlife....

I say love life, treat others as you want to be treated, and repect our earth...I don't think listening to Jimmy is going to make or break the deal.... :D
Ceol na Mara
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: "Jimmy Dreams"
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Frzn Strwbrry Daq w/real strwbrr & real cream

Post by Ceol na Mara »

sunseeker wrote:
Ceol na Mara wrote:If, as they say, actions speak louder than words, I think Jimmy is a lot more Christian than a lot of people who think they are.
You are so right Ceol!!!

Also, I hate to bring up more controversy, but I have a pheeling that their will be more then just Christians in heaven.....or the afterlife....

I say love life, treat others as you want to be treated, and repect our earth...I don't think listening to Jimmy is going to make or break the deal.... :D
I agree with you, SS.
More wagging, less barking.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
wanderingtoes
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by wanderingtoes »

Just to add a couple of other points, when JB writes and uses the gd word, he uses a lower case g, this is an indication that he is swearing, but not taking the name in vain, he does this over and over. In his remarks after the shuttle crash, this was in Atlanta, he ended his remarks by saying, may God Bless you. He has other moments like this, so you can only assume he means it. He brings a lot of joy to people, and has mellowed over the years, matured in a good way. I know we are not judging here, nor should we be, so for me personally, his concerts are a lot less of an R-rated, than most movies, and the good out weighs the bad. At a Buffett concert, you see happy people, enjoying the moment, drinking too much is not good, but outside of that the side effects are few. Compare this to an NFL game, and there is no comparision, the NFL is R-rated an almost x.
"I've got a School Boy Heart"
barefootpirate
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: If I have to choose just one - Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Tequila - In a dirty shot glass
Location: Where the weather suits my clothes - and by clothes I mean shorts

Post by barefootpirate »

Being a "non-practicing Christian", if there is such a thing, I think Jimmy being a Christian should be between him and Jesus Christ. I have been to some churches where when I come out, I hate organized religion. Your relationship with Jesus Christ should be just that - a one on one relationship.

With that said, I do believe Jimmy is a Christian, just as I believe I am a Christian. I grew up in a Christian home and it's imbeded in me. The values and morals you learn as a child growing up in that fashion remain with you. Yes, you may stray, but those ideals will always be with you. And even though I don't go to church every Sunday, I'm still a better person now, even though I've strayed, because of the Christian values I was taught as a child.

Did I hear someone say VEGAS???!!!!!!!!

:pirate: PHINS ^ :pirate:
If I had it to do all over again, I'd get myself drunk and I'd jump right back in!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra
sunseeker
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Favorite Buffett Song: That's what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Mostly water these days

Post by sunseeker »

barefootpirate wrote:Being a "non-practicing Christian", if there is such a thing, I think Jimmy being a Christian should be between him and Jesus Christ. I have been to some churches where when I come out, I hate organized religion. Your relationship with Jesus Christ should be just that - a one on one relationship.

With that said, I do believe Jimmy is a Christian, just as I believe I am a Christian. I grew up in a Christian home and it's imbeded in me. The values and morals you learn as a child growing up in that fashion remain with you. Yes, you may stray, but those ideals will always be with you. And even though I don't go to church every Sunday, I'm still a better person now, even though I've strayed, because of the Christian values I was taught as a child.

Did I hear someone say VEGAS???!!!!!!!!

:pirate: PHINS ^ :pirate:

can I get an AMEN!!!
Desdamona
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Desdamona »

All I can say is "thank god I don't have to bother myself with such foolishness!"
Image Image
USMParrothead
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by USMParrothead »

I would like to say, that if being a parrothead is the "straw that breaks the camal's back" for me, then i am pretty sure it would had been broken sooner or later anyway.

Find what it takes in life to make you happy, for only when you are happy can you truley make others happy.
I studied the life at sea, I studied the life in bars. Never passed my S.A.T.s so i thought I'd study extra hard.
Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song

Post by Key Lime Lee »

NO PLANE ON SUNDAY wrote:Go to their web sites. Many of them do not drink and play gospel when not on tour. Infact he may have the most Christian band on the seculiar tour now.
Are you sure you're talking about the Coral Reefer Band?? :lol:
Eleven longhaired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus...
DoorNo.3
I have found me a home

Post by DoorNo.3 »

Banana Wind wrote:Yeah, I remember reading that in the book too. I think it kind of depends on your definition of "Christian". It could mean Catholic, Baptist, etc. depending on what religion you choose. For me, I'm a Southern Baptist and I believe in having a personal relationship with Christ, which I kind of doubt that Jimmy has, but I know he still attends Mass sometimes.
"For me, I'm a Southern Baptist and I believe in having a personal relationship with Christ, which I kind of doubt that Jimmy has" :o

Glad to see you are able to tell who has a personal relationship with Christ...how do you do it?
"...wishing every month of the year could be june..."
Banana Wind

Post by Banana Wind »

NO PLANE ON SUNDAY wrote:I am a Christian and will make some comments.

Much of the band that plays with jimmy are Christians.

Go to their web sites. Many of them do not drink and play gospel when not on tour. Infact he may have the most Christian band on the seculiar tour now.

As a Christian what I admire in him and his songs are how real they are. He does not surgar coat himself or his music like many Christians do.

As far as jimmy being saved that is not for me judge.

I listen to Jimmy for enjoyment and do admire many of his opinions about life.

Very nicely said. That was what I was trying to say at the beginning but with all the noise in my English class, where I was posting, I think my thoughts were a little distracted. I couldn't have said it better myself.
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"
MelliJellyBean
At the Bama Breeze

Post by MelliJellyBean »

and didn't he say that "religion's in the hands of some crazy ass people"???
azparrot
Southeast of disorder

Post by azparrot »

I think when Jimmy states "religion is in the hands of some crazy a$$ people"...he is referring to the "money for heaven" folks; you know, the Televangelists.
I beleive Jimmy is a Christian..."God's own drunk............."
Gumbo
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by Gumbo »

Following the topic, I found the liner notes for the new MMIM to be interesting when explaining "Knees of My Heart". I don't have them in front of me, but Jimmy described it as a song about Lent (maybe something about redemption too). Thought that was pretty interesting considering I didn't know the song had any spiritual meaning.
TigerStripePHead
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by TigerStripePHead »

Growing up attending Catholic schools in the South (sort of like Jimmy, right?), I can say that there is probably more spirituality in things than first meets the eye. That kind of an upbringing (in my experience) will put some religion/morality in people as an almost subconscious thing.
fleshandbone

Post by fleshandbone »

Might be fun to revisit these lyrics:

The Christian

By: Jimmy Buffett

Chorus:
It's a hell of a time to be thinking about heaven
Didn't you forget the golden rule
You've been acting like Jesus owes you a favor
But he's a little smart for you to fool

You complain how you forgets the gospel
You remind them seek and you shall find
Maybe youth will have a time for seeking
After they clean up what you left behind

Chorus:
'Cause it's a hell of a time to be thinking about heaven

You were right there when the plate was passed last Sunday
That's the second time you've been to church all year
Could you really call yourself a christian
If charity cost half as much as beer
Hey

You pray a little more as you grow older
You get religion as your hair turns gray
But you don't need to worry about hereafter
Just worry what you're going to do today

Chorus:
'Cause it's a hell of a time to be thinking about heaven
Yes my friend I think you've blown your cool
Hey
Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: cold

Post by Bob Roberts »

I could say many things here, but I won't. I'm glad to see this kind of topic come up. I am a christian myself, very strong in my beliefs. I've read through all of the discussions here, and I have my own point of view and beliefs, just like everyone else, but I won't jump into that just yet. I just wanted to say that if anyone had any questions about Christian beliefs, I would be glad to answer them to the best of my knowledge. This is an incredible mission opportunity. We all have different religious beliefs, but we have common ground as ParrotHeads. Some of you may value being a ParrotHead more than your religious beliefs, which I don't necessarily agree with, but I'm just glad that people are talking about it. I want to be here for anyone that has questions. May God bless all of you.
"The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band."
f2cdlzrd
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by f2cdlzrd »

OK, I'm a sinner saved by grace and a Southern Baptist. My dad is good as gold and a deacon in his church. We love JB! My dad doesn't drink or smoke or cuss, but listening to JB helps him make it through the day. Like earlier posts, it's not for us to judge, but I pray JB is saved so I can be with him eternally.

Don't get caught up in this. Just have fun and love JB for who he is and how he makes us feel. I would shutter to think that others such as Snoop Dogg, Nelly, DMX, etc. call themselves Christian.
ATLANTA - April 30, 2013
Banana Wind

Post by Banana Wind »

Very well put! :D
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"
12 lb. nestle crunch
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: cran.+vodka

Post by 12 lb. nestle crunch »

its funny how when i was a catholic, i would leave mass and ppl would cut me off in the parking lot!
sharkfyn
Hoot!

Post by sharkfyn »

I tried to ignore this thread but just had to reply. The individuals who commented about "...don't smoke, drink, cuss, etc." Man Made RULES.... can someone give me verse from the Bible where Jesus forbids any of these? Ten Commandments state "do not take the Lord's name in vain" that amounts to the only "cuss" word I can come up with -

My personal relationship with God is exactly that... "mine" - I'm pretty sure Jimmy Buffett feels that way about his own relationship with God......

and

God Bless Him and You!
"You only got two options, having fun or freakin out..."