I'm not usually quick to be vindictive, but I think we need to take this loser and make an example of him for decades to come -- lots of media coverage (and no possibility of parole). Maybe we could have a reading of the names of missing and abused children every year on the anniversary of his sentencing. Let all the networks cover it. Show a picture of him in the dock while the names scroll slowly.
Yeah, I'm happy she's been found, but here whole life has been taken from her at a tender age. She has no family left, and will probably require lots of love and care just to get back to 'normal'
I wish you all the best, Shasta.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm
"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
There should never be a chance to reoffend. First time should equal life. Most Americans feel this way. Why can't we make it happen? Anybody who will try I will vote for regardless of party.
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!
I'm happy for Shasta, but from understanding what her life was like before this happened, the gal has a long road ahead of her.
And I'm all for sexual offenders getting life the first time 'round. I don't think they can be rehabilitated and I don't think it's worth the risk to find out.
If anyone can't keep your johnson in your pants around little kids, if there's a hell, rotting in it is too easy a punishment.
COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho - Authorities said Monday they found human remains during their search for a missing 9-year-old boy whose sister was found days earlier at a Denny’s restaurant with a registered sex offender.
Sheriff Rocky Watson said the remains were found in western Montana and would be sent to an FBI laboratory for DNA analysis. He did not say whether the remains were believed to be those of Dylan Groene, and declined to answer questions.
Officials said previously there was little hope Dylan was still alive. The DNA analysis was expected to take three days.
Dylan’s 8-year-old sister, Shasta, was found Saturday with Joseph Edward Duncan III, more than six weeks after the children disappeared from the home where their mother, her boyfriend and an older brother were bludgeoned to death.
Authorities planned to charge Duncan, 42, of Fargo, N.D., with kidnapping and being a fugitive from justice, and have said more charges were possible; federal and local authorities searched Duncan’s Fargo apartment, but police did not know if authorities took any items or if anything resulted from the search. A judge ruled Monday there was probable cause to keep Duncan in jail until an initial court appearance Tuesday, when he will be assigned an attorney.
With Duncan refusing to talk, authorities have been relying on statements from Shasta, physical evidence in Duncan’s Jeep and tips from the public as they searched for Dylan.
Watson said the remains were found in western Montana, but did not elaborate about the site or say what led investigators there.
“Investigators continue to follow all of the other leads in this complex case,” Watson said. “This case continues to be the number one priority for all agencies involved.”
About 60 investigators were involved in the case. Sheriff’s Capt. Ben Wolfinger said earlier Monday that Shasta had provided helpful information, but declined to say what the girl was telling officers.
‘Slow process’
“It’s a slow process with Shasta,” Wolfinger said Monday. “We’re taking that very slowly.”
Officials have said they believe Dylan was still alive when he and Shasta disappeared. Investigators said they had received some 100 tips about Duncan and the red Jeep Cherokee he was driving since photos were released Saturday.
Based on those tips and other information, authorities believe Duncan and Shasta remained in the Northwest the entire time, Wolfinger said. He would not say if there was any evidence others were accompanying Duncan.
The girl’s father, Steve Groene, said Sunday he was told not to ask the girl questions about her ordeal. He said Shasta was doing well and had been watching animated movies and had a vanilla shake and pancakes for breakfast.
He thanked those who helped find his daughter, and held out hope that Dylan would also be found.
“Shasta is doing very well and we all are very hopeful that Dylan will come home safely,” he said.
The children were declared missing when authorities arrived at their home May 16 and found the bound and bludgeoned bodies of their mother, Brenda Groene, 40, brother Slade Groene, 13, and their mother’s boyfriend, Mark McKenzie, 37.
Officials have not said why they believe the Groene family was targeted. Steve Groene said he had never heard of Duncan before Saturday.
Decade in prison
The children’s faces had been posted across the region, shown repeatedly on television and placed on billboards. Employees and customers at the Denny’s restaurant said they recognized Shasta almost immediately when she came in around 2 a.m. Saturday with Duncan, and several called 911.
Duncan, who was raised in Tacoma, Wash., had spent more than a decade in prison for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy at gunpoint and was a fugitive at the time of his arrest for allegedly molesting a 6-year-old boy in Minnesota.
A registered high-risk sex offender, Duncan was released on $15,000 bail earlier this year after being charged with molesting the boy. Police in Fargo had been looking for Duncan since May, when he failed to check in with a probation agent.
Days before the children disappeared, a message appeared on a Web site that officials said Duncan maintained. It said: “My intent is to harm society as much as I can, then die.”
Court Papers: Idaho Children Were Molested By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press Writer
12 minutes ago
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - An abducted 8-year-old girl told authorities that a violent sexual predator repeatedly molested her and her 9-year-old brother, who remains missing, according to court papers released Tuesday.
Kootenai County Sheriff's Sgt. Brad Maskell wrote in the terse, handwritten document that both children "were repeatedly molested."
Joseph Edward Duncan III, 42, of Fargo, N.D., was charged with two first-degree kidnapping counts and ordered held without bail. Duncan was shackled and appeared unshaven as he looked intently at the judge during a brief appearance via video link.
The intent of the crimes, court documents said, was to rape, seriously injure or commit a lewd and lascivious act on a child under 16 years old. Convictions can carry the death penalty or life in prison.
The children vanished May 16, when the bodies of their mother, older brother and mother's boyfriend were found at their rural home. Early Saturday, employees and customers spotted the girl eating breakfast with Duncan in Coeur d'Alene.
Authorities on Tuesday continued to wait for DNA test results of human remains found in western Montana earlier this week that may be those of the 9-year-old boy, who authorities believe is dead. Those results are expected to take three days.
Duncan has refused to cooperate with authorities, officials said. Authorities have relied on information from the 8-year-old girl, evidence from Duncan's stolen red Jeep Cherokee and some 100 new tips from the public in the search for the 9-year-old boy.
It is the policy of The Associated Press not to publish names of alleged sexual assault victims without their consent.
At a news conference in St. Regis, Mont., FBI Special Agent in Charge Tim Fuhrman of Salt Lake City confirmed Tuesday that the children were with Duncan in the Lolo National Forest of northwestern Montana sometime over the past seven weeks. But he said officials had not yet confirmed whether Duncan was with them the entire time.
A gas station and convenience store clerk in the western Montana logging community of about 300 people told The Associated Press she recognized Duncan after seeing his photo.
Jackie Allen, 26, told police Duncan had been a customer several weeks after the children disappeared. Neither of the children were with him at the time, she said.
"It's been crazy. I mean, if I would have known I probably could have saved those babies," said Allen, a mother of two.
Authorities believe the 8-year-old girl may have tried to get patrons at another gas station and convenience store to recognize her, hours before she was found at the Denny's restaurant.
Security camera videotape showed the girl and her alleged kidnapper at the store Friday evening in Kellogg, about 40 road miles east of Coeur d'Alene.
"In the small takes I saw out of that surveillance video, she's walking around, stopping, looking right at the faces of the different patrons there," Kootenai County Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said Tuesday on ABC's "Good Morning America."
Cameron Conoco owner Ted Beamis told The Associated Press that the girl's alleged abductor, "acted like he didn't have a care in the world" until one point during his visit.
"He was walking around. You could see him kind of watching her. One time in the store she's wandering up and down the aisles, and he kind of loses track of her, and you can see him looking around in a panic."
___
Associated Press Writer Sarah Cooke in St. Regis, Mont., contributed to this report.
I have been divided on the death penalty issue and still am to a point. However, this thing (because the is unfit to be called a man) and the thing that buried that girl alive in Florida deserves to die.
UAHparrothead wrote:I have been divided on the death penalty issue and still am to a point. However, this thing (because the is unfit to be called a man) and the thing that buried that girl alive in Florida deserves to die.
Brad I am a huge Death penalty advocate
I just do not want these people to go to death row
Gen Pop is Ok by me.... no nice clean needle and a sleep
they could be Roomates with Roofus