who ate the last mango in paris?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Stizz wrote:now now now - I do not believe the lyric is "I ate the last domestically-grown mango in Paris"
it was in the first cut, kinda like the test-version of "Far Side of the World" talking about rhinos on the money.

There was some flap between the French Domestic Mango Growers Assoc. (SMGDF) and the French Mango Importation Federation (FIMF) that threatened to get Jimmy in the middle of the legal issues. As a result, it became "Last Mango in Paris" with no mention of origin as per the agreement hammered out by the attorneys.
:o
aw, you're just being a :pirate: and making that up, right, RR? :lol:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

I realize this thread has since been hijacked to a discussion of running with peeled nuts :o and a dispute between domestic and imported mango growers :lol:
BUT ...
I did promise to post the bathroom wall photo once it was "admin-approved" :) so here it is:

In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: mohito

Post by carolinagirl »

Caribbean Soul wrote:I realize this thread has since been hijacked to a discussion of running with peeled nuts :o and a dispute between domestic and imported mango growers :lol:
BUT ...
I did promise to post the bathroom wall photo once it was "admin-approved" :) so here it is:

Thanks, Caribbean Soul, I never followed up last month and didn't catch your post on this thread. I'm glad you found your photo! I haven't located mine yet. Hubby corrected me, that we saw it on our second look around Key West in 1991, at the time of our fifth wedding anniversary.

I think I saw different writing, stretching over the door, that didn't have Jimmy in the quote. Next person to Key West, you are now assigend the mission of tracking down and documenting the writing in Capt. Tony's men's room. :D

Funny thing is, we also found one of hubby's groomsmen living in Key West, and he helped celebrated our anniversary with us...
hadessephy
Southeast of disorder

Post by hadessephy »

When he sang that song at the concert, he showed all the clips from capt tony, (i think it was that song) so I assume it is about tony
FarsideCobbPH
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: ?
Number of Concerts: 19
Location: Carroll county, GA, and Fayette County GA and Destin florida

Re: who ate the last mango in paris?

Post by FarsideCobbPH »

Right there, the person's name is evidently Tbone!
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?
capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Post by capnbobby »

I have always interpreted the song as about Cap'n Tony.

8) Fins Up 8)
Cap'n Bobby
STL Parrot
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with Rum

Post by STL Parrot »

It looks to me as if the "note" is being written to T. Bone and signed by Capt. Tony.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Poconoparrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin to reason''''''
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Re:

Post by Poconoparrothead »

Caribbean Soul wrote:I realize this thread has since been hijacked to a discussion of running with peeled nuts :o and a dispute between domestic and imported mango growers :lol:
BUT ...

I was in Captain Tony's last week and that (original) writing was that of Capt. Tony,He told me that himself back in the 90's. Now the wall is painted over and there is a poor replicate approx 12x12 inches covered with plexiglas. A poor attempt at preserving history. While I'm on this topic, wasn't Last Mango in Paris a spinoff from the old movie Last Tango in Paris made in 1972?
Visions of good times make me want to go back again!!!!
Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

Post by Bwana Paul »

I have had the opportunity to interview all of the co-writers of this songs-- Michael Utley, Marshall Chapman and the great Will Jennings. Will wrote most of the lyrics with a little work from Jimmy. The melody was mostly Utley's. They were all talking and Will said "I am Johnny Mango, and I know the secrets of the Caribbean and the inlets and outlets of the human heart."

Then someone said something about the film "Last Tango in Paris," to which Marshall Chapman said "Last MANGO in Paris." They had the title now.

As for what the lyrics specificaly were about, I had the opportunity to interview Captain Tony in great detail. You can listen to that 24/7 on demand here courtesy of TAIT-On-Demand from BuffettNews-- http://www.buffettnews.com/resources/ta ... y-special/ It is 2 parts of one hour each.

The lyrics reference various experiences and Jimmy Buffett lore. The "high fashion model wife" is a reference to the stunning model on the cover and on the back of the original LP. The Swiss Army knife is a reference to Buffett's affinity for the knives and his time as a Scout.

Tony told me the lyrics are very personal to him and most of the lyrics belong only to Jimmy and he and he doesn't want everyone to know what the song is about. It's a great song!

Paul Leslie

http://www.thepaulleslie.com
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by dnw »

Bwana Paul wrote:I have had the opportunity to interview all of the co-writers of this songs-- Michael Utley, Marshall Chapman and the great Will Jennings. Will wrote most of the lyrics with a little work from Jimmy. The melody was mostly Utley's. They were all talking and Will said "I am Johnny Mango, and I know the secrets of the Caribbean and the inlets and outlets of the human heart."

Then someone said something about the film "Last Tango in Paris," to which Marshall Chapman said "Last MANGO in Paris." They had the title now.

As for what the lyrics specificaly were about, I had the opportunity to interview Captain Tony in great detail. You can listen to that 24/7 on demand here courtesy of TAIT-On-Demand from BuffettNews-- http://www.buffettnews.com/resources/ta ... y-special/ It is 2 parts of one hour each.

The lyrics reference various experiences and Jimmy Buffett lore. The "high fashion model wife" is a reference to the stunning model on the cover and on the back of the original LP. The Swiss Army knife is a reference to Buffett's affinity for the knives and his time as a Scout.

Tony told me the lyrics are very personal to him and most of the lyrics belong only to Jimmy and he and he doesn't want everyone to know what the song is about. It's a great song!

Paul Leslie

http://www.thepaulleslie.com

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Debbie
piratenurse
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor (today, anyway)
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Pharmade!!!!!!!

Post by piratenurse »

Way to revive a thread and answer (or not) some questions I had. This is why I'm on BN. In case someone on another thread thinks I shouldn't be anymore. :wink:
I'm a Finhead Guy Finatic!
Real Parrotheads Ride the Pole!
I Triple Dog Dare Ya!
ImageImageImage
Ceol na Mara
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: "Jimmy Dreams"
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Frzn Strwbrry Daq w/real strwbrr & real cream

Post by Ceol na Mara »

This is one funny thread.
More wagging, less barking.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs